Blue cards? Yes or no

Soldato
Maybe my view is simplistic but I think they're trying to solve problems that don't really exist and by doing so are creating knock on problems and then it's becoming an industry and overly complicating a simple sport.

F1 is suffering similar problems in a far more complex set of conditions/rules.

Go back to basics Football and accept human error is just part of the game and actually a reasonable element to have.

fez

fez

Caporegime
They are just creating a big problem where there is a medium problem. They are incapable of being even vaguely consistent within the same game when it comes to cards, penalties etc so giving them another tool to inconsistently apply just seems really really stupid. Especially one that seems to be an indication of a kind of serious foul but not that serious. I can see them doling them out and changing loads of games. Also another incentive for players to cheat, dive and exaggerate contact to gain an advantage.

Soldato
Maybe my view is simplistic but I think they're trying to solve problems that don't really exist and by doing so are creating knock on problems and then it's becoming an industry and overly complicating a simple sport.

F1 is suffering similar problems in a far more complex set of conditions/rules.

Go back to basics Football and accept human error is just part of the game and actually a reasonable element to have.

Completely agree and agree with Big Ange regarding time wasting and what have you. Hopefully it fails during these trials.

Associate
They arent going to just go and sit down like naughty little boys are they? They don’t do that in sports that have interchanges. They’ll likely sit on an exercise bike or get a massage.
I don't really watch Rugby so no idea, do they keep active then? Which other sports use it? NHL but they seem to just sit there.

Soldato
all the fans and teams would be constantly moaning that a card should have been a different color, the Refs would get a load of stick for sin binning people

Associate
It's a decent idea in theory and if refereeing standards where better generally I'd be for it, but there's too many wild inconsistencies at the moment for them to really work. A working VAR system would put pave to all this nonsense but alas...

Soldato
Can't see how a three card system works.
There might be scope for a two cards where the yellow or blue becomes the sin binning. To be honest there are yellows given for nothing these days like Casemiro's yesterday. Maybe a higher bar to a sin binning is what could be trialled. The yellow car in rugby works quite well most of the time and the potential to upgrade is also a good idea. Football officiating is generally not improved by technology and I'd rather dispense with most of it.

Soldato
I think a better solution would be retrospective 1 match bans for the the kind of cynical, professional fouls they are trying to stamp out.

They are blindingly obvious and usually in the latter stages of a game, so sin bin is of limited use.

Soldato
No.

Next question.

I think a better solution would be retrospective 1 match bans for the the kind of cynical, professional fouls they are trying to stamp out.

They are blindingly obvious and usually in the latter stages of a game, so sin bin is of limited use.
I'd support retrospective bans. Players get away with all sorts.

Associate
In two minds over this, I dont like the idea of another card, but do like the idea of players sin binned. I wondered why they didnt just add the sin bin to the yellow, so get a yellow card off for 10 mins, red off for the game.

Man of Honour
In two minds over this, I dont like the idea of another card, but do like the idea of players sin binned. I wondered why they didnt just add the sin bin to the yellow, so get a yellow card off for 10 mins, red off for the game.
Makes more sense to me, keepers will be more wary of timewasting because largely teams don't care if the keeper gets a yellow, but they would care if they were sin binned.

But overall I'd probably steer clear of it, I think it would just introduce more confusion and inconsistency.

Also a sin bin would in itself encourage feigning injuries to waste time because football doesn't stop the clock. Someone gets a blue card, and all of a sudden his teammates are collapsing all over the pitch for the next 9 minutes. It would be a lot better if we moved to 30min halves and have the clock stopped for stoppages, then 10min sin bin would actually mean 10min not a random length of game time.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime

It would be awful. Think about how many stupid yellows the refs dish out. They are kind of ignored because they are essentially a warning and we tend to then blame the player or the manager when a player gets a second yellow regardless of how stupid or unfair the first was. "He was on a yellow so he should have been careful". If you sin binned people for every yellow you could have 1/3rd of a team missing in the last 10-15 minutes. Think about the level of diving we have currently and then massively incentivise players to dive for yellows because not only will they have a player on a yellow but they will be off the pitch for a while.

Back
Top Bottom