BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
OP
Theres only 1 535i M Sport for sale in the whole country on autotrader, and 17 petrol models on the site. Not surprised at there being more diesel than petrol, but I am surprised at how few petrol models there are.

Soldato
OP
I fail to see the point of messing around remapping my 530d, it doesn't want for performance when it's judged for what it is. Betweem 3000RPM and 4500RPM it pulls very strongly and gives you more than enough pull to get around stuff and when married to the 8 speed sport auto box like mine it is easy to keep it in that range too. I shan't bother remapping mine and presently I am not aware of anyone who has a map anyway.

What was it like on the track?

Soldato
OP
Phoning them is the best way as they will give you an accurate price. Doesnt take long.

FWIW, a monthly BMW Insured Warranty fully comp with no excess per month on a car thats done between 50-59k miles will cost you ~£113 a month, including BMW emergency breakdown cover. It will almost double once you go over 60k miles.

Soldato
OP
I love the M135i but dont think I could buy it brand new. The 135i held its value reasonably well compared to other petrol BMW's and I'm sure the M135i will follow suit, but it will no doubt shed a sizeable amount of cash. In 2-3 years there's going to be plenty of estoril blue M135i's on BMW AUC.

Soldato
OP
I took an M135i out for a test drive at Sytner Sunningdale. The car I drove was a 5 door estoril blue, with pro nav, 8 speed auto, heated seats, black panel display, privacy glass, harmon kardon hifi, F&R PDC, rain sensors, telephone USB audio and a couple of other things, so pretty high spec. Up for £33,850, the RRP is around the £37k mark.

From the outside I may buck the trend because I think it looks great in the metal. Although it’s pretty much similar to any other M Sport model of 1 Series, I personally think it looks spot on, especially with the dual exhausts. The one choice of alloy wheel is a mistake IMO because they are very boring and it would be good for BMW to give the option of several choices.

Moving to the inside it’s a huge step up from the old 1 Series. It's still typical BMW, which IMO is a good place to be. The seating position was spot on and although this model lacked electric seats, it was very easy to adjust to get the right position. The black panel display and Pro Nav are excellent; especially when fully integrated with your iPod, online services etc. It felt slightly cramped for me (6 foot 15 stone), but nothing that I couldn’t live with.

This model, as with every model I’ve seen is fitting with the 8 speed auto gearbox. I was slightly skeptical at first, but now I’ve got nothing but praise for this gearbox. Comparing it to the M3 DCT gearbox this is not as fast and seamless when you’re pushing the car hard in sport mode, however it does give it a run for its money and suits the car very well. For normal driving in Eco mode it is smooth and hassle free. Once you’re in sport mode it completely changes character and will give really fast shifts; much faster than SMGII or SMGIII, but not as fast as DCT.

BMW have done some work on the engine note, as it sounds much more aggressive and throaty compared to the other 3.0L turbo BMW’s I’ve driven (E92 335i specifically), however it’s a long way off from sounding like a proper M car engine ala S54 (this may be a moot point as it isn’t a proper M car). The main thing I loved about the engine however was the usable power; it has so much low down torque and will pull through every gear right to the redline. This coupled with the auto gearbox really impressed me, not to mention the pace that it picks up in no time.

The suspension on this model was standard, with no M Dynamic suspension option box ticked. I found the ride to be fine on the A and B roads I drove on, and more than capable when the car was in Sport mode and I was pushing the car. This car also benefitted from no run flats, which is a massive plus for me and probably most of the people on here.

All in all I loved the car. It ticks nearly every box I want in a car; comfortable, spacious, fast, handles well, looks the part and is economical to run. On a new order you can easily knock 10% off, and when the demonstrators and pre-reg cars need to be shifted by dealers it will be more than easy to negotiate. I was offered £2.5k off without any discussion. However as it would be my own money and not company allowance etc I won’t buy a brand new BMW as I know they will depreciate hard in the first 12-18 months. I’m hoping high spec cars to be ~£25k this time next year.

Soldato
OP
People with BMW warranty policy's ...

Do you pay for yours monthly or in a lump sum, how does it work if you pay monthly, are you entered into a 12 month finance agreement?. If you make a claim do you have to pay the rest of the policy upfront?.

Sam

As with any insurance policy, you pay interest on the pay monthly warranty. You have the right to cancel any time you want and BMW promise to not raise the price of your monthly premium within the first 12 months.
If you make a claim you pay the excess (if you took a policy with excess payable) and get it repaired and just carry on paying your monthly premium. Its pretty straight forward.

Soldato
OP
However, unlike most insurance policies, you don't pay for 12 months cover on a monthly basis (ie. a loan), so there is no interest. What i imagine you pay more for with the monthly BMW warranty is the convenience of not being locked into 12 months of paying for it. Think of it more like taking a rolling 1 month SIM-only contract out, rather than a 12 month contract - you pay more for the fact that you could cancel at any time.

When I spoke to BMW warranty they told me that the monthly cost is based on a 12 month cost, with added interest. Not sure how its calculated, but thats what they told me.

Soldato
OP
Nice little review, cheers for sharing.

Yeh sounds like it makes a fantastic noise - but you really think it's a long way off sounding like the S54?? Did you drive a 335i with the N55 engine or N54? The N55 engine note is nicer than the N54 IMO.

I think the M135i is a fantastic little car that, like you said, ticks all the right boxes for me and would really like to get a drive of one some time. However, it'll be quite a while until it is within my price range!

Thanks. It was a 2009 335i so not sure which engine it was. IMO the S54 is much more vocal on idle and at the redline. I love the S54, its probably my most favourite engine of any car I've ever driven so I am slightly bias.

Back
Top Bottom