BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Mine are renewals, about to finish BMW warranty. It is a 2018 M2 LCI funnily enough
That's a huge difference then - £1546 as a new customer vs £845 renewal (previously £793).

Even more reason to buy from BMW AUC rather than a trader/private.

Man of Honour
This was the cost of a 3 year warranty on my Boxster with Porsche :(

BMW seen quite pricey

I agree that it is expensive, they've not changed the price in some time, I had hoped this was because they'd worked out they already charged almost too much in comparison to the competition so had left the pricing alone.

However, the Porsche policy isn't quite as cheap when you think about it - it requires an inspection and my understanding is that you must also fix anything the inspection finds before the policy goes into place. Which is fine, but makes it more equivalent to a renewal policy with BMW than a new customer one.

Man of Honour
That's a huge difference then - £1546 as a new customer vs £845 renewal (previously £793).

Even more reason to buy from BMW AUC rather than a trader/private.
If the car has existing Insured Warranty then you can extend it, you don't have to buy an AUC. Some private sales do have it.

Soldato
I agree that it is expensive, they've not changed the price in some time, I had hoped this was because they'd worked out they already charged almost too much in comparison to the competition so had left the pricing alone.

However, the Porsche policy isn't quite as cheap when you think about it - it requires an inspection and my understanding is that you must also fix anything the inspection finds before the policy goes into place. Which is fine, but makes it more equivalent to a renewal policy with BMW than a new customer one.

You are correct, they are more picky about it, but then I guess that's why they're able to offer it so cheap, in comparison.

There are some things I think that are reasonable, such as exhaust studs being heavily corroded, but some things which are dumb, such as tyres can't be older than 5 years from date of manufacture.

But it is also 0 excess, so I've got my car going in for brakes to be checked next month and it won't cost me a penny.

Soldato
If the car has existing Insured Warranty then you can extend it, you don't have to buy an AUC. Some private sales do have it.
Fair point. That would also be easy to work out - bang the reg plate into the warranty website and see if it refuses to quote due to an existing policy.

Is that the equivalent? Full cover @ £250 excess without roadside assistance
Yes, no roadside assistance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are BMW such money grabbers?
They say I need new front Discs and Pads, quoted £980 whilst i was there, and asked if I wanted to go ahead.
On the BMW App, same dealer its £667.... I asked if I can do that, they said I'd need to book it in via App and pick a date in future.

Gone to my local independent this morning, £498. Sod the dealer.

Man of Honour
Why are BMW such money grabbers?

They are all independent businesses who have a franchise. Some are great, some are not great. What you've described there sounds very poor though - why would you need to book it in again just to use the BMW fixed pricing they advertise across their website and app? Did they explain why they expected you to do that? They've just lost the work over a simple admin job.

Caporegime
While we're on warranties, my car is on 54k miles and while it's been faultless so far and I haven't had the warranty it now gives me the fear, purely due to the law of averages.

If i buy a yearly warranty now and I go over 60k miles during the term am I right in saying the price will rise at renewal even though it usually drops after the first year? But if I buy monthly and continue to buy monthly even after 60k miles the price shouldn't rise?

Last edited:
Soldato
It does stay the same post 60k and increase by RPI but they charge you 20% ish extra to pay monthly so it’s not a huge saving over yearly.

I pay yearly up until I know it will pass 60k then switch to monthly.

They have recently increased the warranty costs by approx 10% going by the recent quotes given in this thread.

Caporegime
It does stay the same post 60k and increase by RPI but they charge you 20% ish extra to pay monthly so it’s not a huge saving over yearly.

They have recently increased the warranty costs by approx 10% going by the recent quotes given in this thread.
My concern is that I pay for a year upfront, go over 60k miles during the term then can't go monthly without paying extra.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Where’s the best places in the uk to get aftermarket body kits? The BMW OEM parts are super expensive.
Aliexpress and Alibaba :D

Most of the 'tuning' companies pre-order larger batches from Alibaba, some sellers offer brand imprint along with branded packaging and leaflets. I'm still surprised some people pay £450 for a downpipe you can get in China for £150, thinking the more expensive one is better quality, when in fact it comes from the same factory. :cry:

Caporegime

I've just done two quotes, 52k miles and it's coming in at £483.00pa or £44pm with a £250 excess and no roadside as I have AA cover with my bank account. Amended the mileage to 62k and the quote is now £817pa or £74pm. That's a big difference, not that far away from double.

Also will I still get a hire car while mine is in for repair if required without taking the full roadside assistance?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just done two quotes, 52k miles and it's coming in at £483.00pa or £44pm with a £250 excess and no roadside as I have AA cover with my bank account. Amended the mileage to 62k and the quote is now £817pa or £74pm. That's a big difference, not that far away from double.

Also will I still get a hire car while mine is in for repair if required without taking the full roadside assistance?

Is that quote for a car with existing warranty cover or fresh cover ?

You get a discount for continuing existing cover either the original 3 year or extended/AUC warranty. Its somewhere around 15-20%

I can’t remember exactly what the yearly 60k plus cover was for my old 3 Series but it was in the low/mid £700s which included roadside with £100 excess. The pre 60k cover was £522 yearly. Moving to monthly it was low £50s

You won’t get a courtesy car without the roadside automatically, you might be able to get one from the dealer doing the work however no guarantee. I use your nearest dealer Eastern and they need 3-4 weeks to book a courtesy car.

If I get cover again from zero issues up until 5-6 years old on the newer Mini/BMWs we’ve had, I’d do £250 excess for the first 2-3 years.

* just remembered not zero issues 3 Series needed new struts for the power tailgate that was 1k of work but still would have been cheaper over all with £250 excess.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have had BMW Warranty on every car we've had since 2014. Financially, it has been completely the wrong decision as I had zero claims on either 530d and I have had zero claims on the current Mini either. I have been very surprised at just how reliable all three cars were. The previous Mini had numerous claims - none of them particularly high value but the complete lack of any issue in getting anything sorted was really valuable to me. I assumed this would continue, but it didn't. The policy on the Mini is sufficiently cheap that it doesn't really matter but I was paying £100 a month for the 530d in the end. It was difficult to continue justifying it to myself at that price.

Man of Honour
I have had BMW Warranty on every car we've had since 2014. Financially, it has been completely the wrong decision as I had zero claims on either 530d and I have had zero claims on the current Mini either. I have been very surprised at just how reliable all three cars were. The previous Mini had numerous claims - none of them particularly high value but the complete lack of any issue in getting anything sorted was really valuable to me. I assumed this would continue, but it didn't. The policy on the Mini is sufficiently cheap that it doesn't really matter but I was paying £100 a month for the 530d in the end. It was difficult to continue justifying it to myself at that price.
that's the problem with insurance isn't it? PITA and unnecessary if you don't need to use it, but if something goes wrong, you'd wish you had it :cry:

Soldato
I questioned renewing it on our Mini but the recent post about the gearbox failing same model as our's at the same mileage with the dealer wanting 8k to replace reminded me of some of the bills you can end up with. Even the 3-4k rebuild cost else where is 10 years warranty cover.

Man of Honour
I've been really surprised and very pleased with just how reliable the Mini has been. We've had it 6 years now and as well as nothing going wrong with it it also still has no rattles at all. It feels as good as it did the day we got it. The previous Mini felt very different at the same point and had already begun to have various small warranty claims with it and trim rattles etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom