Brazilian Grand Prix 2015, São Paulo - Race 18/19

Caporegime
Loads could happen. McLaren in 2007 shows. The drivers were given immunity but had they not been they would have been excluded from the championship.

The WDC and WCC are crowned at the FIA Gala at the end of the year, when they get their trophies. Until then they are provisional champion.

Why are we even discussing this? Massa never was, and never will be WDC, its as simple as that.

Soldato
Brazil 2007, where several cars had colder (denser) fuel than the regulations allow. Had they been penalised, Hamilton would have won the WDC instead of Kimi, despite gaffs such as racing the wrong car and beaching it at China!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Have they actually agreed the deal? Last I read they'd signed an "intent".

Could they be getting cold feet? :(

Soldato
Have to say I agree with the proposals to reduce the length of a race weekend and/or limit practice. It's totally stupid that there's more practice time than qualifying and the race itself combined.

Soldato
I didn't say anything about testing and the two are totally different.

Yes it needs more testing, i.e. like the scheduled three-day test sessions of old.

What I want rid of is the stupid amount of practice time during a race weekend. The teams spend four hours fine-tuning their cars and I think this time should be slashed. It would spice up the racing as the teams and drivers would have far less time to perfect their setups and have to rely more on 'instincts'. Whenever there's been severely restricted practice due to the weather, we've often ended up with a good race due to the reduced preparation.

Caporegime
Your aware they are down to only 2 pre season tests and no in season testing next year, right? F1 isn't a spec series, practice sessions are not about fine tuning setups, they are about developing and testing the cars! Have a look how many pito tube rigs and development measuring devices they all run all the time! And look at how Honda has completely failed to develop their engine this year. And you think its a good idea to give them LESS time. You crazy? If your not fast at the start of the year, may as well not bother.

Edit: That said, if they stuck 4 or 5 in season tests in, after race weekends, then sure, reduce pre race practice. But they aren't doing that, so its a stupid idea.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They only ever run tests in FP1, that's why they let test/development/rich drivers drive and put new parts on. Notice the 'S' duct on the Mercedes in FP1 that they're not running in FP3, Q and the race. They could easily cut back but the fans don't see enough on track action as it is.

Caporegime
They only ever run tests in FP1, that's why they let test/development/rich drivers drive and put new parts on. Notice the 'S' duct on the Mercedes in FP1 that they're not running in FP3, Q and the race. They could easily cut back but the fans don't see enough on track action as it is.

Exactly, so they don't spend 4 hours fine tuning their cars.

Put the rich drivers and development parts on during a test after the race instead. But then you get people crying about how the engineers have to spend a few extra days in exotic countries playing with racing cars. Boo hoo, what a hard life you all lead.

Soldato
Edit: That said, if they stuck 4 or 5 in season tests in, after race weekends, then sure, reduce pre race practice. But they aren't doing that, so its a stupid idea.

That's what I'm proposing - more dedicated test sessions for development in exchange for less pre-race practice each weekend. Give them the time to develop the cars in general but less time to fine-tune their setups for the race.

Basically, like pretty much everything in F1 these days, we need to go back to when it was actually good.

Back
Top Bottom