Brewdog

Soldato
I know there is not strict definition of craft but it’s my view that if something is available nationwide in Tesco (including the small express stores, it’s probably not ‘craft’. ‘Craft’ has basically become the default term for premium beer put in a small 330ml can these days. They are and should continue to mean two different things.
"I liked craft beers before they sold out, maaaaaaan."

Don
Yeah, i remember loving Northern Monk Faith on tap in one of their bars when i first had it, yet the cans always felt disappointing. Although the 440ml version seemed closer to the real thing.
wasn't really referring to the different versions of the same beer, Faith is still a low end beer however it is served, for Northern Monk you need to look at the Patrons Project beers to see what they can do

Don
For IPA/DIPA/NEIPA etc most mentioned on here are still miles off of the decent breweries, Vocation for example are still way of the decent brewers albeit decent for supermarket beers

Look at the likes of Azvex, Verdant, Cloudwater, Neonraptor, Track, Deya, Wylam, Pentrich

Last edited:
Soldato
For IPA/DIPA/NEIPA etc most mentioned on here are still miles off of the decent breweries, Vocation for example are still way of the decent brewers albeit decent for supermarket beers

Look at the likes of Azvex, Verdant, Cloudwater, Neonraptor, Track, Deya, Wylam, Pentrich

Oh true, i've been sad to see that Squawk are shutting up shop this month. They made some lovely stuff. Rivington and Pomona are still standouts for me. Especially Pomona and their love of sours

I still rue my sister breaking up with the head brewer of Twisted Wheel. They did some decent stuff. I recall a Banana Imperial Stout being particularly good.

God damn, i miss decent beer. Last night i was excited at the prospect of getting a Founders IPA in a bar :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tried Brewdog Guinness rip off?

Gotta admit, think I prefer it, at first it's exactly like Guinness without the bitter aftertaste.
Not a patch on Guinness in my eyes although I prefer Murphy's to Guinness but you don't seem to see it much anymore, I really liked Beamish but I've not seen it in years.

Brewdog aren't a 'craft' brewer anymore, they're much more mass produced nowdays, I go to a couple of real ale festivals each year and cannot remember them ever being present at one but tried some of the stuff when it 1st arrived on the scene and wasn't that impressed.

Associate
I got sick of IPAs etc ages ago. Probably from overconsuming supermarket "craft" and the almost fomo way brewers come up with new ones every other week but I had a can of Verdant Putty watching the football and had forgotten how good they can be. Lots of body, without being gloopy, creamy and really, really fruity.

Soldato
Although I’m not a big fan of Brewdog their recent ‘Wing Man’ beer is passable! Not a patch on a decent IPA (Gloucester Brewery session IPA is my king) but still very quaffable!

On another note there does seem to be a race to the top with high strength IPA’s of late, whilst perusing the Shelves of Waitrose it can be difficult to find anything under 7% but my preferred ballpark is around 4!!!

Soldato
OP
Tried the Aldi Brewdog.

In case anyone isn't familiar they sell Genuine Aldi branded but made by Brewdog IPA.

It's okay..... bit bland really, prefer Hazy Jane or some of the others they do.

Back
Top Bottom