Brewdog

Don
I quite like the bars. They normally have a good guest line up, and decent stuff in the fridges and the staff are almost always really nice and friendly. I can't remember the last time I actually had a BD beer in one of their bars though.
Food is also pretty good, so it's a 'know what you're getting' sort of place.

yes the bars are decent and sometimes the guest beers OK, it's their own stuff that's crap

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t mind a Brewdog, it’s better than your typical mainstream beer you’d get in an pub and its widely available.

My favourite beer at the moment is Maredret Altus (from Belgium) but it’s very expensive and not really available here.

Soldato
yes the bars are decent and sometimes the guest beers OK, it's their won stuff that's crap

The guest stuff is pretty good normally, with even some US breweries in the fridges. They just aint cheap! And the stronger stuff can be equiv of £10-15 a pint (not that you'd get a pint of 8% DIPA)

But if you 'know' craft beer, that's the price. Not cheap to make good beer.

Associate
A lot of Brewdog rubbish and most of the "craft" stuff in supermarkets seems to be for people who want to pretend they aren't drinking alcopops.

I went into a craft beer shop the other day, looking for an imperial stout. Most of them were adulterated with some crap. Rum, whisky, coffee even cacao nibs okay. Maple syrup, caramel sauce flavour, marshmellow etc blarg.

Soldato
What?! Those are awesome! Embrace the silliness! Love me a coconut impy stout, or even better peanut butter. mmmmmm

There is a fair bit of god craft in supermarkets now. Vault City are in there, Northern Monk have some good stuff too. And Vocation :)

Soldato
I know there is not strict definition of craft but it’s my view that if something is available nationwide in Tesco (including the small express stores, it’s probably not ‘craft’. ‘Craft’ has basically become the default term for premium beer put in a small 330ml can these days. They are and should continue to mean two different things.

The sorts of minimum volume you need to shift to get shelf space in the likes of Tesco is significant and they expect consistent availability.

The mainstream stuff that Brewdog puts out isn’t craft IMO. Sure it’s premium but that doesn’t make it craft. They sell some limited/niche stuff, that could be considered craft but Punk IPA isn’t one of them.

The same probably applies to the brands listed above also.

Last edited:
Soldato
To an extent yes. But a can of Vocation and others will be MILES better in terms of quality compared to your Carling, Fosters rubbish (appreciate they are different styles too)

So 'craft' to me means it's made better, properly, with better ingredients (hence the price). But yes, 'craft' definitely is abused a lot, and is seen as a sign of quality.

Last edited:
Don
What?! Those are awesome! Embrace the silliness! Love me a coconut impy stout, or even better peanut butter. mmmmmm

There is a fair bit of god craft in supermarkets now. Vault City are in there, Northern Monk have some good stuff too. And Vocation :)

the supermarket craft are generally made down to a price though, the ones you mention their supermarket stuff is not a patch on their main beers

Soldato
I've not enjoyed Brewdog stuff for a while, maybe my taste has changed, the last lot i had all tasted very samey.

Love me some Vocation or York Brewery stuff though. I've embraced the different flavours.

Back
Top Bottom