Cable braiding tutorial

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guitarman, hopefully people find this useful :)

Slight update again, I realised I had not covered about making sure your heat shrink lines up, added a little explaination to the OP on how I did it.

Soldato
I was going to get some 2.5mm braid- is that going to be too small?

I'm using a 3mm (so the seller says) and despite the cheapness of the braid I bought (I started with it so I really should finish) it goes over pretty much everything, although I have found that it's a tad tight on the ATX connector's terminals and needs encouragement and sometimes get unravelled.

Also if you go for a smaller size you will need to cut the length of braid a bit longer than shown above as it will need to expand slightly over your wiring. I found that I need an extra 1.5cms over 45cms as the braid expands slightly over my 18 AWG ATX connector wiring.

Associate
Great guide! Just got some Paracord from the US and need some heatshrink that will shrink down so it is a tight fit and when I saw yours, it was perfect.

So, what size heatshrink did you use? I read your guide but I might as well ask what size you used :p

Soldato
OP
The heat shrink I used is mdpc-x but the only details on the site is 'small'. Measuring it though it is 2 cm circumfrance (0.63 cm diameter) with a 4:1 shrink ratio. You dont need it to be exactly the same, as long as you match the heat shrink size and ratio against the wires/cables you are braiding you should be fine.

Soldato
OP
Just practiced on my first fan. And killed one of the 3 pin mental c thing tags. I take it I am using too mug pressure. Looks like you can buy new ones lol

Sorry only just seen this, it could be a case of too much pressure or cheap pins on the fan. It doesnt take too much pressure to get the fan pins out but they are flimsy so they are easy to break. Hopefully you have got the others out ok but as long as you got a crimping tool spares are relatvely to get hold of.

Soldato
Nice guide, just going to add a couple of tool names here for people wondering what the tools are called for removing the cables from their holders/connector ends.

Just google them and you will see where you can get hold of them and what they look like.

Lamptron Modding Tool Kit

http://lamptron.com/products/view/Modding_Tool_kit

Sunbeam Molex Extractor Kit and Sleeving Tool

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes it is possible to braid a non modular PSU, there are 3 ways to do it

1. Use braided extensions.

2. Braid the plug end of the cable as normal and described in this tutorial. The other end of the braid, shrink some heat shrink onto the wire directly, then place the braid over this and shrink some more over the top. This creates heat shrink braid sandwich which will hold the braid firmly in place. Note though while the braid will not come loose, the heat shrink might be able to move up and down the wire and therefore you will not be able to strecth the braid.

3. Braid the plug end of the cable as normal but the other end, open your psu and put the braid inside your psu. This will give you the neatest and most complete look however it is risky if you don't know what you are doing and will invalidate any warrenty you have.

Depending on your skill level with psu and what look you are going for the choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom