Cable braiding tutorial

Associate
Greboth i have just gone on #*#* and bought 6m of 3mm black and red braid, 3m of 9mm black braid, pin removal tool and heat shrink for £20!

i never thought about doing this but i am very excited to be taking the plunge into braiding.

Ty buddy for posting this tutorial ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Brill tutorial :D

Just got 10 metres of Black braid and 10 metres of red braid and 1 metre of black heat shrink for £23.31, only doing fans at the moment so will use my trusty paper clip and then use 2 staples if I feel like doing something else, I'm not paying 17 Euros for a tool when I can use a pair of pliers and a couple of staples

Associate
SDC10614.jpg

anyone know how to remove the cables from this connector?

Soldato
OP
Hard to say exactly how to get it out without having in front of me. Looking the picture though I would expect that pressing down on the metal tabs that are visible in the picture should release them. If it doesnt then you might have to consider going for the heat shrink braid heat shrink.

As for damaging anything, as long as you keep track of what wire comes from where there shouldnt be any problems.

Soldato
Hard to say exactly how to get it out without having in front of me. Looking the picture though I would expect that pressing down on the metal tabs that are visible in the picture should release them. If it doesnt then you might have to consider going for the heat shrink braid heat shrink.

As for damaging anything, as long as you keep track of what wire comes from where there shouldnt be any problems.

I meant press the nail on the pins and pull. Then it shall come out.

Thankyou, I have some masking tape.

Soldato
OP
Could somebody PM me with details of where i can find the heat shrink and the braid.Thanks in advance.

What sort of braid are you after - MDPC-X sleeve and Pulse modding sleeve is like a plastic weave, whereas something like cord stuff people get off ebay (name escapes me at the moment) is more a material weave. Depends what look you are going for to which you get. Hopefully someone can post the name of the ebay stuff or I will remember it.

Can I use a hair dryer on the heat shrink?

My mum's got a really powerful one that gets pretty hot.

Maybe, try it. If it doesn't work it just wont do anything so nothing to loose in trying. I doubt it will get hot enough though, however if you don't want to use a lighter as per the first page find a cheap bbq lighter :) The ones I used was something like £1.09 from Tesco and much easier to use than a normal lighter.

Soldato
OP
Define better? Every braid I have seen and used does exactly the same as the others. The only real two differences is how they look and how they feel and while I personally prefer the plastic braid I can understand people who prefer the material braid.

What doesn't look great? Explain or post pictures and I will advise where I can :)

Soldato
I think i just realised what i have done.

The best way to describe it is. On my 3 pin fans they don't look round they look flat like a sata cable. I *think* I just realised what I have done wrong. I left the 3pin wires together, like glued together. I should have separated each wire, so they were all loose. And then sleeved it shouldn't I ? And maybe the braid was too big, i cant remember what size i used :(

Back
Top Bottom