Can they sack me?

Associate
I was chatting with a colleague in the staff room. I am a male in my 40s; she a female in her early 20s. I forget how it started but for some reason we are talking about the pro-life; pro-choice thing. Silly to get involved, I know this now.

The woman says that she is pro-choice and has no issues with a woman terminating a pregnancy at any stage.

I tell her my story and explain that my wife and I many years ago thought about terminating her pregnancy but then changed our minds and and thank God that we did as our daughter is now a thriving 21 year old.

She then tells me that she has had an abortion herself and gets really triggered, perhaps lamenting her decision.

Today I receive a call from the manager with concerns about my conduct. The young woman has complained about my story.

I was supposed to be working tomorrow but have been asked not to come in. Instead I am meeting with the management on Monday morning.

How worried should I be about this? Could this really be considered a sackable offence?

Last edited:
Don
Okay, thanks. I'll just try to enjoy tomorrow's paid holiday and see what Monday brings. Thanks for the response.
I would assume they just want to hear your side of the story, so as long you were reasonable and not harassing her eg saying she was a baby killer or something along those lines I wouldn’t expect things to escalate beyond a chat.

Soldato
Smells like troll....

but there is no way you can get sacked for having a conversation with someone... you did not verbally attack them, or swear at them or be aggressive to them or be racist to them, what sort of stupid company do you work for where they think they have the right to suspend you for talking about some like that

Soldato
Probably not, but US owned company?

Depends how woke your HR is - i've seen blatant stuff in some work areas, yet in others what seems an insignificant comment leading to warnings/sackings.

Associate
Wait a sec.... She put in a complaint because you and your missus made a choice and the other person told you she too made a choice....

Guess it's OK to be pro-choice, but only if you agree with the choice being made.

Tbh mate, I'd be putting a complaint in for wasting your bloody time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The company is in the UK.
Smells like troll....

but there is no way you can get sacked for having a conversation with someone... you did not verbally attack them, or swear at them or be aggressive to them or be racist to them, what sort of stupid company do you work for where they think they have the right to suspend you for talking about some like that
No troll. UK company in the care sector. A little worried. I'm pretty new too.

The woman in question was complaining the other day about being overworked and thinking about reduced hours and was weeping last week over being stressed. Think this story of mine maybe was icing on the cake if she's feeling guilt about her decision regarding her baby. She's off on holiday now for 2 weeks but reckon she would have been taking time off regardless. No aggression; no swearing; no racism.

Like others are saying: they probably just want to hear my side but with management not working on the weekends they would rather I not attend this morning in case the complaining woman is on shift also.

Man of Honour
You should be fine once you've put your side of the story but it's a serious lesson learned. You literally have to tread on eggshells these days.
At work talk about work, or the weather if you are feeling particularly daring.
It makes having friendships and relationships (not dating kind) at work so much more tricky as you can't be your true self. I've received a few warnings over the years but once the facts came out everything was absolutely fine. People misinterpret things. People generally have good intentions but people choose to be offended by things because society has conditioned them to be.

Back
Top Bottom