Can they sack me?

Associate
OP
It makes having friendships and relationships (not dating kind) at work so much more tricky as you can't be your true self. I've received a few warnings over the years but once the facts came out everything was absolutely fine. People misinterpret things. People generally have good intentions but people choose to be offended by things because society has conditioned them to be.
Totally get this.

Associate
OP
Who's alt account is this?
New guy, only found the forum last night because I was a little worried about the situation when I received the phone call yesterday. Worked for myself for years so quite new to this. Feeling a bit more relaxed about it given the comments here. I'll try to be relaxed on Monday morning and will listen more than talk.

Soldato
I'm pretty new too.
Just be aware that if you are 'new' enough, then you won't have the same levels of protection for your employment as if you've been there for two years, so whilst this sort of thing isn't really a 'sackable offence', within the first two years they can pretty much bin you for anything they like other than 'automatically unfair' reasons. As advised above, do more listening than talking and don't go in there looking to argue the toss and give someone an easy decision to remove someone who looks a potential nuisance - it sounds like they've got enough nuisance employees as it is :p

Soldato
People like to get offended by proxy. Being offended is a choice IMO. There's so much victim mentality going on these days.

Whilst interviewing for my current job, the interviewer made a point to tell me that I needed to consider if this workspace is suitable, basically telling me it wasn't for the easily offended.

Suits me because I give as hard as I get. Still get the odd mardy one though.

Soldato
A friend of mine was put on a warning for criticising hamas because a muslim colleague overheard him and reported him!
How would that warning hold up legally? Hamas are recognised as a terrorist organisation by the UK, so I’d imagine criticising them is pretty much legally fine. I’d politely suggest your friend is telling porkies about their warning or perhaps were more than just ‘criticising’ Hamas.

Last edited:
Soldato
How would that warning hold up legally? Hamas are recognised as a terrorist organisation by the UK, so I’d imagine criticising them is pretty much legally fine. I’d politely suggest your friend is telling porkies about their warning or perhaps were more than just ‘criticising’ Hamas.

No, it true.

Believe what you want. The work colleague didnt like a fellow 'muslim' being criticised.

Last edited:
Soldato
A friend of mine was put on a warning for criticising hamas because a muslim colleague overheard him and reported him!

But they are recognised (in the UK anyway) as a terrorist organisation.

So surely by reprimanding the employee for saying that, they are supporting a terrorist organisation?

Edit: seen above someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was supposed to be working tomorrow but have been asked not to come in. Instead I am meeting with the management on Monday morning.

How worried should I be about this? Could this really be considered a sackable offence?

The problem with this stuff, is that if I read your account as written by you - clearly you can't be fired over that, that's ridiculous. (I hate people who pull stuff like this)

However.

Unless I've missed something, we don't know exactly what story she has told them (presumably HR, or her manager), in my experience nasty people like this have a tendancy to exaggerate things, make stuff up, or add additional details for extra shock effect, and with no witnesses it'll boil down to your word vs hers.

On Monday make sure you have your wits about you..

Associate
OP
with no witnesses it'll boil down to your word vs hers.
There was one other girl who came into the office towards the end of it while my accuser was getting triggered and upset; telling me that I shouldn't have an opinion about such things becasue I'm a bloke and asking how I would react should my daughter decide to abort her child in the future - would I support her or spin my story to her; that kind of thing. She only caught the end of it. I am a little worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom