Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I got a Nespresso Citiz and Aerochinno couple weeks ago.
So far pretty impressed.
I've done the whole bean to cup approach before and this tastes fairly close in fairness, without the mess!
Does very good 'crema' too.

Frother is excellent and certainly haven't found it difficult to clean. The inside is like a non stick surface. i am curious how it works though :p

Went a bit over the top initially and bought 100 capsules and a 3rd party holder for them. Used the voucher to get another 100 capsules and some cups. The little metal espresso mugs are quite nice.

Tend to drink them all as 'lungo' or espresso depending on mood rather than the coffee. Presume the main difference is the strength of the coffee.

Associate
I have ordered the Lattissima Plus in silver. What capsules do you recommend for Lattes's?

I was going to order some so she has something to drink at xmas before the £70 voucher comes.

I got the same machine a few weeks ago and looked around to see what people thought was the best pod for Latte and from what I can see stronger espresso capsules are the best rated for Latte with Arpeggio winning out a lot of the time, So I have personally gone for a couple of sleeves of Kazaar, Dharkan, Ristretto, Roma and Indriya and quite a few sleeves Arpeggio of with my £70 gift card.

Last edited:
Associate
I am going to throw this AEG / Lavazza machine into the mix. Got it a couple of months ago for my wife's birthday and it has worked wonders so far. Says 139 GBP on the website but I was able to hunt it down cheaper on the high street.

Last edited:
Soldato
So where do people find the cheapest to get Tassimo pods? They were £15 bulk bought on amazon but for some reason they have all gone up to £22-25 :(

The website often runs offers, they were doing free delivery plus a £10 off code recently; the code might still be valid (TASSIMO10) but the delivery offer ended last night. Got a £26 order for £16, it's as cheap as it gets really.

Caporegime
Yeah we just put an order in direct, but it's still more expensive even with £10 off and free delivery than it used to be with amazon. 5 boxes for £15 just about any coffee and now it's far more than that.

Tbh I regret buying it for the Mrs. Very few of the drinks give close to a mug full, only the costa lattes and some of the other make lattes are close to giving a decent measure.

Then you have Maxtra cartridges and descaler. Don't get me wrong she loves it and loves the coffee from it but financially it's not a great idea. The chocolates are appalling. I lob mine into a kettle, boil the kettle then transfer the pod to the machine, unless you fully melt that pod you get a cup of brown water.

Caporegime
You still have to boil the pod to melt it and it's still an average hot chocolate. If you don't melt the pod it's dreadful. It's the best of a bad bunch.

Add the suchard one to half a cup of hot milk and it's far better than the Milka one, but that kind of defeats the point of these. I can get a better hot chocolate from a power :(

Soldato
I've never had to boil a disc in the kettle either. When it's been cold I usually just warm them in my hand for a minute, that works.

Anyway, several varieties are £16.65 for a case of five packs on Amazon at the moment.

Caporegime
Must be a bad batch or your machine isn't right, as mine doesn't leave much behind in the pod at all and is like chocolate sex compared to powder drinks.

Check the tassimo online reviews for Milka chocolate, loads of people say to do it and loads say it's 2/3rds of a mug. The suchard is even worse for size. Complete false economy if you need two to fill a mug.

Try it drop it in the kettle then boil it, then lob it in the tassimo. It's 10 times better. I would though still rather drink an powered chocolate if I had to, better priced a full mug.

Soldato
Sainsburys have Tassimo pods 3 packs for £10 atm

I am new to it, love coffee but not the fuss so have been living on Millicano until they changed it recently and its muck like all other instant :(

I already have a Gaggia/grinder, a aeropress, biallati and french press so have all angles covered but mid BF4 game and want a quick latte and the Tassimo is great - better than any instant thats for sure but have found you need to just add a strong coffee pod to some warmed milk rather than the actual latte pods with the UHT horror - having said that the caramel macchiato isn't bad!

It's not as good as getting the Gaggia out but compares to most high street stuff and is better than instant - the wife and kids love the hot chocolate, have tried cadburys and milka and found both need to be warmed in hot water or ran choc pod > milk > choc pod again to get all choc out and a good sized drink.

Regards the size - they are obv all designed for hot choc / latte glasses rather than the builders mugs we are used to but then they are espresso based not filtered coffee so small mugs or more shots in bigger mugs is normal!

Caporegime
Regards the size - they are obv all designed for hot choc / latte glasses rather than the builders mugs we are used to but then they are espresso based not filtered coffee so small mugs or more shots in bigger mugs is normal!

I don't have builders mugs, I have standard denby mugs and the suchard barely half fills it, the Milka with a creamer fills it to 2/3rds.

Suchard is 175ml and the Milka even with a creamer is 180ml. That's far from a builders mug :D

Clearly when you see the size of the creamer in the costa lattes they could have used a much bigger chocolate pod, but they don't and you get half a mug!

Soldato
I don't have builders mugs, I have standard denby mugs and the suchard barely half fills it, the Milka with a creamer fills it to 2/3rds.

Suchard is 175ml and the Milka even with a creamer is 180ml. That's far from a builders mug :D

Clearly when you see the size of the creamer in the costa lattes they could have used a much bigger chocolate pod, but they don't and you get half a mug!

Try the choc pod > milk > choc pod again method - exactly fills a std 250ml choc/latte glass!

Most mugs are 350/400ml as i recall so you are never going to fill one with any of these machines as they are working from espresso sizes as a base not mugs of coffee!

Associate
I've got the Tassimo and I love it, especially the versatility. Unlike the basic Nespresso it makes more than just Espresso drinks - it can do hot chocolate, lattes, cappucino etc. Admittedly the drinks tend not to fill a standard tea mug, but if you buy the tassimo coffee cups it fills them.

The machines can be got cheap enough and so can the pods. You can buy the costa branded ones from costa themselves, amazon have tonnes and the average tesco carries a good handful of varieties.

Back
Top Bottom