Compression in VR.

Soldato
Ok, Seriously now :)

When you use the debug tool you know you have to restart the Oculus Service for any changes to take effect? SO when you make the changes make sure you select that option from the menu at the top.

Soldato
In the Oculus App, in the resolution slider, make sure it's all the way over to the right. Max it out. For the moment set the Refresh rate to 80hz. Can make changes here later, for the moment just use these values. Restart the Oculus app. And close it again.

Now open up the debug tool. Lets try the following. Set the Encode resolution width to 4128. Change the bitrate to 500 and set link sharpening to Quality. Set the Codec to H.264 as well. Just to make doubly certain it doesn't automatically pick H.265 by mistake.

Make those changes and restart the Oculus Service.

I presume the games you are playing are on Steam? I am also presuming that in the Steam VR settings, the resolution per eye is set to 100%?

If that's all ok. Run a test on a game and see how you get on.

Associate
OP
In the Oculus App, in the resolution slider, make sure it's all the way over to the right. Max it out. For the moment set the Refresh rate to 80hz. Can make changes here later, for the moment just use these values. Restart the Oculus app. And close it again.

Now open up the debug tool. Lets try the following. Set the Encode resolution width to 4128. Change the bitrate to 500 and set link sharpening to Quality. Set the Codec to H.264 as well. Just to make doubly certain it doesn't automatically pick H.265 by mistake.

Make those changes and restart the Oculus Service.

I presume the games you are playing are on Steam? I am also presuming that in the Steam VR settings, the resolution per eye is set to 100%?

If that's all ok. Run a test on a game and see how you get on.

Carried out those steps correctly, I think. Iracing is better visually. Was some noticable shimmering in this test until I dropped the graphics settings down from within the iracing app which reduced the shimmer effect inside the Iracing app. Looking much nicer Thank you.

Dynamic bitrate set to 500. Encode bitrate is set to zero. Does Encode bitrate seem right? (i believe ZERO sets things to Oculus default in debug tool)

Last edited:
Soldato
Carried out those steps correctly, I think. Iracing is better visually. Was some noticable shimmering in this test until I dropped the graphics settings down from within the iracing app which reduced the shimmer effect inside the Iracing app. Looking much nicer Thank you.

Well, there are things to try. You could try lowering the resolution in the Oculus app by one. i.e moving it from 1.5 to 1.4 or whatever it is for you. I set the refresh rate to 80 because there are some reports of 90 causing problems. You could try 90 to see if that works better for you.

There are some other things to try in the debug tool. You might prefer the look of HEVC. However, even if it's better visually, it might not be worth the trade off latency wise. But it's worth trying.

So the first thing I would try is putting the bitrate up to 700 and then 800 and see if you notice a difference. It won't let you just put in 700 or 800 you will have to copy and paste.

Then I would try HEVC. That's change the Codec to HEVC in the debug tool and set the bitrate to 200.

See which you prefer.

Associate
OP
Well, there are things to try. You could try lowering the resolution in the Oculus app by one. i.e moving it from 1.5 to 1.4 or whatever it is for you. I set the refresh rate to 80 because there are some reports of 90 causing problems. You could try 90 to see if that works better for you.

There are some other things to try in the debug tool. You might prefer the look of HEVC. However, even if it's better visually, it might not be worth the trade off latency wise. But it's worth trying.

So the first thing I would try is putting the bitrate up to 700 and then 800 and see if you notice a difference. It won't let you just put in 700 or 800 you will have to copy and paste.

Then I would try HEVC. That's change the Codec to HEVC in the debug tool and set the bitrate to 200.

See which you prefer.
Thank you so much melmac. You're a star. I'll give things things a try and see what happens. Obvs it's going to take some time to try them out. I'll post back with updates and findings.

Looking better already.

Many many thanks

Soldato
Thank you so much melmac. You're a star. I'll give things things a try and see what happens. Obvs it's going to take some time to try them out. I'll post back with updates and findings.

Looking better already.

Many many thanks

No problem at all. Just want to add one more thing for you to check. There is a sim display mode or something like that in the Iracing settings. This used to default to OpenVR. You might have better luck with openXR or Oculus mode.

Associate
OP
Feedback time on my quest for Quest 3 visuals in iracing:

A big thank you @melmac. I had a play with the settings you suggested. Thank you for that. And for correcting my obvious glaring errors :)

Today, after much tears, tantrums on my part and mumbled threats to send the bloody thing back, I got very good visuals with it. To my surprise and delight they actually pip the G2 visuals.

I've finally learned a little bit about the debug tool. Nice sharp picture. No stuttering and had a bit of fun sim racing.
That "shimmering" I was referring to earlier was in fact (I discovered after some googling around) to do with aliasing. Jagged/shimmering lines. In iracing I set the AA on. That seemed to help a lot.

I'm not finished yet. Whilst is is now very acceptable and enjoyable I'm going to try and improve on it a bit more by tinkering. Half the fun's the tinkering;).

It was going to be returned before melmac offered to lend a hand and convinced me to persevere. Thank you melmac.

Last edited:
Soldato
2xAA and FXAA in iRacing should give you a good picture without killing your GPU. You still get those shimmering lines now and again, but they are really toned down.

Don't forget to enable HDR, even though the headset doesn't support it, it enables you to tweak the brightness, contrast and gamma.

oh, and also tick sharpening if you haven't already. Probably makes the biggest difference in clarity.

I've also found that the ingame FPS metrics and fpsVR app doesn't tell the full story in iRacing, so if you get any judders, but everything looks ok, chances are you are hitting a CPU/GPU limit. There was an ini fix for it, but they may have since removed it. I need to check.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
2xAA and FXAA in iRacing should give you a good picture without killing your GPU. You still get those shimmering lines now and again, but they are really toned down.

Don't forget to enable HDR, even though the headset doesn't support it, it enables you to tweak the brightness, contrast and gamma.

oh, and also tick sharpening if you haven't already. Probably makes the biggest difference in clarity.
Ill give them a go. Thank you.

Soldato
Feedback time on my quest for Quest 3 visuals in iracing:

A big thank you @melmac. I had a play with the settings you suggested. Thank you for that. And for correcting my obvious glaring errors :)

Today, after much tears, tantrums on my part and mumbled threats to send the bloody thing back, I got very good visuals with it. To my surprise and delight they actually pip the G2 visuals.

I've finally learned a little bit about the debug tool. Nice sharp picture. No stuttering and had a bit of fun sim racing.
That "shimmering" I was referring to earlier was in fact (I discovered after some googling around) to do with aliasing. Jagged/shimmering lines. In iracing I set the AA on. That seemed to help a lot.

I'm not finished yet. Whilst is is now very acceptable and enjoyable I'm going to try and improve on it a bit more by tinkering. Half the fun's the tinkering;).

It was going to be returned before melmac offered to lend a hand and convinced me to persevere. Thank you melmac.

Hallelujah brother!! All Praise Lord Melmac who just saved another sinner from been sent to darkness!!

:p

Delighted that you got it working well for you :)

When you have done all the tinkering that you can possibly do, might I suggest that you post your settings in here? It would help other people along :)

Back
Top Bottom