Compression in VR.

Soldato
This might help when talking to people about which setting to change.

TAs1aCi.jpg

Associate
OP
Well, I did a bit more tinkering..... and made it worse. Lol. :) Made things a bit "grainy". Is this what compression is, I wonder? Wish I'd written down the settings I used this afternoon. ne'er mind it's not too bad at all. Quite playable. I'll have another tinker tomorrow. I'm on annual leave. Time to play with my toys.

@TheOracle, I've used similar in game settings to the ones you posted above. Admittedly quite a few of mine were on lower detail prior to seeing yours. So I upped them to see what happened with my 3080 ti. Surprisingly the gameplay was still quite smooth. I've just made it a wee bit poorer/grainier than it was earlier today.

@melmac, so far I think 700 Bitrate, 72fps and 1.3 res seems ok from what I find. It's not been a scientific experiment though. Just whacked in a couple of changes and see what happens. (I didn't have the patience to do one change, restart, test and repeat. I know, I know I should known better than to change two things at a time).

All in all I think ithe Quest 3 has been worth it for the money it cost me. £96 discount from the Berry site, ten quid from Topchashback and a bit of cash recouped from selling my Q2. Net payout £230. Can't complain. :). On the other hand, now I'm seriously toying with the idea of splashing out on a 5800x3d to replace my 5600x. No way am I going to get a 4090 though. That rabbit hole is calling me but not loudly enough to drop a grand and a half on another gpu.

What is it they say? The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys :).

Last edited:
Associate
I've used several HMDs for iRacing (when I was dumping money in it). Rift CV1 / Quest 2 / Reverb G2 / Quest 3 (now) and yes AA needs to be on. I dont supersample from OTT or Oculus Debug Tool. I only do it with OpenXR Toolkit. Also you can if you want crop the image from OpenXR with the field of view setting where you can lower the size of the image basically in all corners individually for each eye. Its some sort of foveated crop if I can say. Either way cropping will save FPS when you need it. iRacing isnt too demanding and it plays nicely with OpenXR most of the times.

Soldato
Is this what compression is, I wonder?

Did you try setting it to 10 as I suggested? It will show you what compression is very clearly, then just change it back and see the effect vanish in front of your eyes. You can do this live in the Oculus link construct viewing your desktop in the headset, don't even need to be in a game to see the effect.

Associate
OP
Did you try setting it to 10 as I suggested? It will show you what compression is very clearly, then just change it back and see the effect vanish in front of your eyes. You can do this live in the Oculus link construct viewing your desktop in the headset, don't even need to be in a game to see the effect.
Hi danlightbulb,
It's been a while since I fiddled with the settings in debug tool. I think generally I'm over trying to reach nirvana with current vr tech. Anyhow, I gave it a go this morning. Set the encode bitrate to 10. Maybe my eyesight is not that great or I'm doing something very wrong here but I couldn't see much difference :) Picture was just as good with it set to 500 . (I reset debug tool after each change)

I'll give it another this evening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi danlightbulb,
It's been a while since I fiddled with the settings in debug tool. I think generally I'm over trying to reach nirvana with current vr tech. Anyhow, I gave it a go this morning. Set the encode bitrate to 10. Maybe my eyesight is not that great or I'm doing something very wrong here but I couldn't see much difference :) Picture was just as good with it set to 500 . (I reset debug tool after each change)

I'll give it another this evening.

You should definitely see the difference. Encode bitrate can be set live, input the value and press enter and it will change immediately, no need to restart the Oculus service.

Back
Top Bottom