Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I really love fresh bread and a couple of events have turned me to baking my own. Firstly my local Sainsburys does really lousy bakery bread. It's dense, tastes undercooked and goes stale really quickly. I recently found out that they bring in par-baked loaves and finish them in-store, which explains that. The second event is my local bakery finally closed, which is a total blow to the high-street and all I'm left with is a chain bakery which does average bread at a premium price.

I've been meaning to start a baking thread for some time because I'd had a whole string of baking disasters and wanted some advice. I know there are some keen bakers on here and you'd easily be able to point out where I was going wrong. Turns out a bit of trial and error was all it needed so I could learn what was happening and now I'm ready to start a thread on baking that I can kick off with a picture of my first really decent loaf!

IMG_5473.JPG

It took seven attempts to get it to this stage, which might sound like a lot but getting the right amount of water and yeast, the kneading and proving times and the baking took a bit of trial and error because I'd read so many different ways of making bread. Hopefully I can share the details with you so you can jump in and make a decent loaf straight off. There are just a few tricks here that make it work at home in your home kitchen, with no special equipment.

This recipe will make one 500g basic loaf of white bread in your oven.

Ingredients:

300g strong white bread flour
25g olive oil or butter
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon instant dried yeast
180-195ml warm water

You need two 25cm bread tins, ideally.

The first thing to do before you do anything else, and this is very important, is to turn the oven on at the highest temperature it will go to. This ensures the oven is fully preheated, but the heat from the oven will warm the kitchen and it'll make the bread rise.

You must use 'strong' flour, which has a high gluten content compared to self raising flour, otherwise it'll come out like a cake. I would stick to a higher quality flour to start with, so avoid the basic supermarket brand and use Hovis dried yeast. There may be no truth in doing that but it eliminates the ingredients being to blame if the bread doesn't come out right and you can concentrate on your method.

Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter or olive oil, mix in the salt and yeast. Tip in the warm water and mix everything together with your fingers. You should have quite a sticky dough that sticks to your hands and fingers at this stage.

Now you have to knead the dough. This works the water into the flour and stretches the gluten. It's this stage that determines how springy and stretchy your bread is. If you don't knead it the dough will rise but the bread will have a texture like a sponge cake rather than springy and stretchy. You have a choice how you knead it. If you choose to knead it by hand then you should do it on a smooth surface for a minimum of 10 minutes, 12 is better. My hand mixer has a pair of dough hooks which I thought would be rubbish, but it's a lot easier and you can let it do its work for about 7 minutes.

After kneading, the dough is much smoother in texture, less sticky and it starts to feel rubbery instead. Put it back in the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave it on the worktop near the oven for 30-40 minutes. You'll see it rise in this time, increasing between 1.5 and 2 times its original size depending how warm the kitchen is. The clingfilm is important here. It stops the dough drying out and traps heat in the bowl, which dough likes when rising.

Take a 25cm long bread tin, grease it with butter and carefully scoop the risen dough into the tin. Push it into the corners trying not to knock too much of the air out of it. It should fill the tin up to about half way and although scooping the dough into the tin will have knocked it back a bit, we're going to re-rise it to get the volume back up. The kitchen should be nice and warm and humid now, perfect conditions.

Put the other bread tin on top so the dough can rise into it and stand it on the worktop near the oven, as before. Leave it for 45 minutes to an hour and the dough will have risen above the top of the tin. Once it's that big it's ready to bake. If it hasn't risen high enough then just leave it longer; it will rise but if it's not warm enough it may need another half an hour or so.

I've found this second rise is what's needed to stop the bread tasting yeasty. So while you could put it straight in the tin and rise it in one go, I think it tastes better if you do two rises.

Take off the top tin, heavily dust the top of the dough with bread flour and put it in the oven. Bake it at top temperature in the oven for 12 minutes and you'll see the crust will go very dark, turn the oven off completely and let it sit for a further 10 minutes to bake all the way through. Take it out, allow to cool for a few minutes and put it on a wire rack to cool completely. You should have a nice crusty loaf with a soft interior full of bubbles that slices easily like this:

IMG_5475.JPG

Cost:
Flour: 25p
Other ingredients: negligible.
Power: 250W mixing for 10 mins = 0.5p, 3000W oven for 2 hrs = 75p approx.
Total cost: max £1.

Ok bakers, now it's your turn. Tell us about your baking!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Cheers. I was put onto the book by my father-in-law, he's done a few of Bertinet's courses & says they're well worth the money. Have you tried the kneading technique? It's odd but it really does work well - quite therapeutic as well!
I tried it but it I didn't get the hang of it. It's something I'm going to revisit when I've had a play with ingredients. I've got it 'right' with the dough hooks at the moment and I want to change one thing at a time, if that makes sense.

[about rising on a tray]

An ever so slightly damp tea towel perhaps?
Would the dough not stick to it though?

Probably less as the oven will be coming on and off to maintain temperature.
Indeed. Worst case scenario it costs about the same as packet bread I reckon.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
ASDA have just stopped making a 7-seed rye bread which I couldn't get enough of. I think I mihgt try an make something along those lines. I shall call it: "7 seeds of rye". :D

Anyone know hoe to identify what the seeds might have been?
Hmmm. Sesame, pumpkin, pine nut, rye, poppy, er, argh there must be loads of them and I can't think of any of them :D

Trip to Holland and Barratt is in order, they do loads of bags of grains and stuff.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
How quick is quick?

Most of us I guess are used to shop-bought bread, which contains more preservatives than Lenin.

How long does your bread usually last? Is it much less time than the supermarket/bought stuff?
Mine lasts 2 days for sandwiches and it's only really good for toast or b+b pudding if it's made it as far as day 3 :D

It's only about 2/3 size of a supermarket loaf so I can eat it all without worying about it staling.

Ciabatta tonight. I have a 'starter' prepared and fermenting. Not sure what it does but it needs to sit and ferment for 24 hours. Smells like a brewery in the kitchen :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
johnny small tip,

rather than using dried yeast, goto you supermarket/bakey and ask the baker for some yeast, they will gladly sell you some, and its far superior to the dried stuff.
I already asked but they don't bake the bread on-site around here. It's how I found out they bring in par-baked loaves :(

I only put my breadmaker away last week as its been untouched for a couple of months
when i have used it the bread is always very stodgy, or heavy,
It could be that the dough hasn't risen enough. My first brown loaf was like this because I didn't let it get big enough before baking.

I had another go at brown on Sunday evening. I used a bit more water than with white and extra salt because the brown flour can take it. No sugar, again. It came out much better than before and I might add some white flour to it next time and do a sort of half and half.

img5526.jpg

img5527r.jpg

img5529p.jpg

I could do with finding a square tin so my loaves have bigger slices though. Otherwise I've got to slice along the length to get a man-size sandwich :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
It's a dead easy recipe, but whatever you do make sure you have semolina! I cook mine on a big double hob flat griddle, which is perfect!
I used to like muffins as a kid but they taste vinegary and sweet these days and I avoid them. What the hell do the supermarkets do to them? :eek:

I hadn't even considered making them myself.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I only used about 300ml water though. Have now ate some and I'm told it's very heavy and would be better for soup than buttys. How do I get more air into it?
Looking good for a first attempt.

Use more water and let it rise for longer. You'll be surprised how big it can rise to. Once you've made a few loaves you'll get a feel how big to let it get before you bake it :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I tried to keep adding water but it just wouldn't mix, it just went slimey. Do you just bung everything in at once? I added the water slowly. I might try my mixer with dough hooks next time and let it rise for longer. I had it on the back of the oven for bout 30 mins with wet towel over it.

We're nest place to let it rise?
Yeah, just looked at your water amount and maybe use 350ml instead of 400, but not much less than that. Yes, just whack it all in the bowl at once :D

Now the weather is warmer my bread rises fine in the kitchen with the oven off, but I do normally leave it longer than 30 mins. If it's not big enough I just have to wait for it. Ooer missus :p

I guess a question: did you turn it out onto a tray from the bowl and out it straight in the oven? If you did that then you probably knocked all the air out of it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Home baked brown bread is a bit heavy, I've found, so what I've been doing is using mainly white flour and adding 1/5 brown. Last night's effort:

img6062g.jpg

Lovely dark crust on it but it keeps the lightness of white bread. It's not as singed as it looks in the picture. I had an outside white balance set on the camera and GIMP overly corrected it :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I bought some (rather expensive) spelt flour earlier in the week and baked a bigger loaf than normal. It's odd stuff, rough to the touch, holds a lot of water and very stretchy. I made the loaf with 1/5 spelt and the rest normal flour. Baked for a bit longer so it had a nice thick crust. It was nice but I couldn't "tell" it was spelt, if that makes sense. Going to make the next one with a higher quantity of spelt and see how it comes out. No pictures unfortunately, it got eated up very quickly :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Damn, they look great!

In other news I bought a Kenwood Kmix stand mixer. I wanted a Kitchenaid but couldn't justify the price (£380). I saw a Kmix and knew it was the one though. One of these is now in the kitchen:

kenwoodstandmixerkmixkm.jpg

Edit: note, I found this was useless at mixing dough and sent it back. Keep saving and get a Kitchen Aid...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
May as well bump this one back up since there has been some progress in the kitchen. The KMix mixer turned out to be completely useless at kneading dough, despite trying every adjustment it had, so I sent it back to Amazon as unfit for purpose. True to their word they gave me a full refund and it cost me nothing, which I am very chuffed about and will shop there with confidence from now on. I'm looking at getting a Kitchen Aid Classic instead, as I know it will do the job properly. With a bit of luck it'll go in the sales and in the meantime I'll use my dough hooks and hope the hand mixer holds out!

Back
Top Bottom