Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
IMG_5511.JPG

Sunday's loaf. I didn't use any sugar in this loaf and I think I preferred the taste. The crust didn't go as dark but I think that's no problem as it was just as crisp.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
How quick is quick?

Most of us I guess are used to shop-bought bread, which contains more preservatives than Lenin.

How long does your bread usually last? Is it much less time than the supermarket/bought stuff?
Mine lasts 2 days for sandwiches and it's only really good for toast or b+b pudding if it's made it as far as day 3 :D

It's only about 2/3 size of a supermarket loaf so I can eat it all without worying about it staling.

Ciabatta tonight. I have a 'starter' prepared and fermenting. Not sure what it does but it needs to sit and ferment for 24 hours. Smells like a brewery in the kitchen :D

Soldato
I have a Food Slicer (422/8211) for getting thin / even bread for sarnies. As I have a tendency to cut wedges out of fresh bread. Its much nicer than supermarket bread, and much better when its fresh out of the oven!

I have only made it the traditional way a couple of times, much easier to put it in the breadmaker under the dough setting! I actually have a bread machine cookbook which has a lot of different recipies.

Soldato
johnny small tip,

rather than using dried yeast, goto you supermarket/bakey and ask the baker for some yeast, they will gladly sell you some, and its far superior to the dried stuff.

also to those who like more a crispy crust, when you preheat the over put a deep meatl dish in the bottom to get hot. when you are ready to put you loaves in, full this with with cold water, the steam makes the bread just like french bread.

Soldato
Associate
I only put my breadmaker away last week as its been untouched for a couple of months
when i have used it the bread is always very stodgy, or heavy,

i follow the instructions but its always the same, think ill try this myself by hand, and using a baking tray rather than a tin, some great looking breads here :) cheers for the inspiration

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
johnny small tip,

rather than using dried yeast, goto you supermarket/bakey and ask the baker for some yeast, they will gladly sell you some, and its far superior to the dried stuff.
I already asked but they don't bake the bread on-site around here. It's how I found out they bring in par-baked loaves :(

I only put my breadmaker away last week as its been untouched for a couple of months
when i have used it the bread is always very stodgy, or heavy,
It could be that the dough hasn't risen enough. My first brown loaf was like this because I didn't let it get big enough before baking.

I had another go at brown on Sunday evening. I used a bit more water than with white and extra salt because the brown flour can take it. No sugar, again. It came out much better than before and I might add some white flour to it next time and do a sort of half and half.

img5526.jpg

img5527r.jpg

img5529p.jpg

I could do with finding a square tin so my loaves have bigger slices though. Otherwise I've got to slice along the length to get a man-size sandwich :D

Back
Top Bottom