Coolit Eco

Soldato
Prime 95 is what you're after. Some people prefer Intel Burn Test, but normally I just stick to Prime for convenience, it's up to you really. If you get Prime, there's a couple of different settings for the CPU - it'll give a brief description for each - I normally run all three, but one of them's meant to produce max heat, which is what you'll want to check load temperatures.

Soldato
But didn't you just say it's smaller?

Please point out where I said this, as I cannot see it. I believe I said it is small, which it is, not that it is smaller than the H50, which it probably isn't.

Why is that?
Because the heat dissipated at a given temperature delta, or the temperature delta maintained for a given heat load, is close to directly proportional to fin surface area. A 240 radiator will maintain pretty close to half the temperature delta that a 120 radiator will. As such, a thin radiator with separate pump and block, or the H50, or this coolit, can all be expected to perform much the same. The whole point to watercooling is achieving a bigger surface area to get rid of heat through. This device offers no more surface area than the H50, so it just won't perform very differently. This is also why I'm annoyed by their choice of a comparative watercooling system, a thermochill 120.2 would perform silly amounts better than a thin black ice 120.

Yeah I don't care about form, I care about the "here and now".
Every co. can botch things up, even very terribly, they just can't do it with successive generations or they'll quickly become extinct.

I give you thermaltake as a counter example.

@OP, intel burn test tends to give people higher temperatures than prime, sometimes by 10 degrees or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies I've not posted sooner but I have been mad busy with, well - life really!

Anyway, I have installed the Cool-It ECO in my new build. I am yet to do any overclocking or tweaking so everything is running at stock. I've just installed Core Temp and thought you would like to see the idle temps so here ya go:

CoreTemp-Scr.png

I've no idea if it is decent or not so make what you will of it.

Please use linx / IBT to get full load stress at 100% and post with your temperature (with 100% stress please)

Associate
Please point out where I said this, as I cannot see it. I believe I said it is small, which it is, not that it is smaller than the H50, which it probably isn't.

Could've sworn your OP said "smaller", been doing some editing have we?
Just kidding! :D My bad, I must've misread, t'was very late at night.

Because the heat dissipated at a given temperature delta, or the temperature delta maintained for a given heat load, is close to directly proportional to fin surface area. A 240 radiator will maintain pretty close to half the temperature delta that a 120 radiator will. As such, a thin radiator with separate pump and block, or the H50, or this coolit, can all be expected to perform much the same. The whole point to watercooling is achieving a bigger surface area to get rid of heat through. This device offers no more surface area than the H50, so it just won't perform very differently. This is also why I'm annoyed by their choice of a comparative watercooling system, a thermochill 120.2 would perform silly amounts better than a thin black ice 120.

Thank-you.

But this doesn't explain why you reckon the CooIT rad has to be significantly bigger to beat the H50.
Do you feel the Eco has deficits in other areas which means the rad has to be bigger?

I give you thermaltake as a counter example.

Mmm, yes & no IMO;
Whilst they do often make shockers, they're nothing if not prodigious & at times even innovative, in a gaudy way :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Thermaltake are certainly innovative, if perhaps misguided. I'd love to work for them, as they seem to repeatedly release interesting prototypes which they haven't actually tested themselves yet. Would be brilliant fun I think.

My point is more that if radiator on the H50 and on the coolit are approximately the same, expect the same performance. For either to be significantly better than the other, it needs a significantly bigger radiator. Some complexities arise in the waterblock, where if either group have particularly exceeded themselves this will show up to the tune of a few degrees, but almost any pump would be fine for these. As such I don't think this is going to be better, as it doesn't have a radiator. Eventually someone will make an enclosed system with a 240 radiator attached, and them I'll be interested.

I think I have more faith in Corsairs design strategy than in Coolits. However if you disregard past performance, you'll see this as irrelevant. Nonetheless coolit released something like this which didn't work before, and corsair have been excellent across the entire range of hardware they sell (perhaps excluding ssds). Still, fingers crossed that we'll soon have another group of "liquid cooled" computer owners sneering at people who bother to connect watercooling up themselves... :p

Associate
I hope we get some real competition this time, always good!
Of course it's not (and prolly never will be) in the same league as DIY WC.

Oh and for sealed AIO's w/240mm rads:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/35702/35-101-1012200/Asetek/
http://www.northq.com/products/coolers/nq3590.html
Looking at them myself atm :D

I'll be getting one of these or the H50.
Just for fun I may also buy the Eco later, if reviews are positive.

Yozz let us know if you need a hand with anything.
We're all rooting for ya!! :D

LOL actually here in Oz that means were having sex for you.
American cultural imperialism strikes again!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, now one of those should beat air cooling by a fair margin. Interesting, thanks for the link. One of those looks very similar to the corsair h50.

I'd expect these to be about on a par with conventional watercooling using a thin 240mm radiator. Can't help feeling I'd rather have components anyway, much like how Id rather assemble a computer from pieces than buy a Dell. Preference perhaps :shrug:

Associate
Ah, now one of those should beat air cooling by a fair margin. Interesting, thanks for the link. One of those looks very similar to the corsair h50.

Yeah the H50 is based on Asetek gear, they generally don't sell to end-users, only OEM's.

I'd expect these to be about on a par with conventional watercooling using a thin 240mm radiator. Can't help feeling I'd rather have components anyway, much like how Id rather assemble a computer from pieces than buy a Dell. Preference perhaps :shrug:

Aside from TEC's and Phase-Change you can't beat custom water loops.
But I can't be foobared....

A modded 120mm should equal or come close to the best air-coolers & with far less size/weight.
The 240mm AIO's may well surpass them unmodded...

Soldato
"Custom loops" are pretty variable though, it's not reasonable to group together someone who's using a combined reservoir pump, cpu block and cheap radiator with someone who is pumping swimming pool water through their computer, or to someone who has linked it into a central heating system for his garage.

Water is about as good as above ambient cooling gets. It does a nice thing where it survives hardware changes, so you buy it once and then forevermore have a brilliantly cooled computer. Perhaps you buy a new mounting plate, or even a new cpu block, but the rest of it keeps right on going. A "sealed" unit has a life expectancy and is difficult to repair.

The 240mm ones should beat standard air cooling. It'll be embarrassing if they don't.

Associate
"Custom loops" are pretty variable though, it's not reasonable to group together someone who's using a combined reservoir pump, cpu block and cheap radiator with someone who is pumping swimming pool water through their computer, or to someone who has linked it into a central heating system for his garage.

Yep I think I get/agree with the sentiments.
But swimming pool water? CHS?

A "sealed" unit has a life expectancy and is difficult to repair.

Unless you get into serious mods, but then you may as well go custom loops.
But don't try telling that to H50 enthusiasts/crazies, they'll lambaste you for a lack modding spirit :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'd love to know how the Titan Fenrir goes up against the Noctua D14.
Based on this & then this it sounds like it should be as good, perhaps even better.

If the latter, then that'd surely have to place it amongst the top 2/3 HS around.
Which makes this review of the latest batch of Eco's all the more exciting.

I'm not "counting all my chickens" yet though....
There hasn't been enough solid comparisons, & some early comments & the 1st review weren't positive at all!
Primarily because of a defect that was luckily found before the main run started.

I'm really hanging out for a comparison with the H50...
It'd have to be an avg improvement of at least 3 degrees for me to be interested.
As CoolIT's warranty coverage/support doesn't seem to be as good as Corsair's.

Back
Top Bottom