Corsair RBG Owners Club

Associate
Hi,

I was just wondering whether any of you have these keyboards with the Brown Switches?

I have been wanting to get a lit Corsair keyboard for ages as I play in the dark and often have to move my head towards my keyboard to see what I am typing :)

But I also need it for work and have read that Red can cause problems for typing. Would Brown be my best option and if any of you use Brown, how are they for gaming?

Cheers

Soldato
Not sure if I'm missing something here but I can't get any lighting effects to trigger on keypress. CUE can detect the keyboard, and I can 'play' the effect by clicking on 'Play foreground' in CUE.

Have I missed something or is there a bug?

Associate
Still waiting on my 'sails logo' K70 RGB with Red switches. Another site extended their ETA to 17th November. Hopefully won't have to wait too much longer :)

Soldato
I thought it was a issue with the usb bus? so not going away any time soon?

Had a look at the Corsair forum thread and it seems there'll be a software/firmware update sometime in the next few weeks which will solve the problem and allow all 16m colours.

Associate
Had a look at the Corsair forum thread and it seems there'll be a software/firmware update sometime in the next few weeks which will solve the problem and allow all 16m colours.

That is correct, that issue will get addressed via Software update that will be available in the coming weeks.

Here is our official response:

During development of the keyboard and prior to the release of the RGB keyboard, we came across an issue regarding the possible color combinations. In an effort to get the product out to our customers as committed, we made the tough decision to resolve the issue in a future software release as we believe our customers would enjoy the product as-is.

Here are the specifics that detail the issue:
Due to USB stack size and performance issues, we had to reduce MCU processing overhead in the best and quickest manner. The LED controller gives us greater than 8 bits of color depth but we use the 8 bits that give us what we believe to be the best color granularity. Our controller architecture provides for over 100 million color combinations out of which we select 16.8 million to display. We devised a color palette scheme to encode and compress the RGB color data and the data to select and control the “current sources” that drive the LED array. An unfortunate side effect is that it prevented us from utilizing the full color depth available from the LED controller.

We are in the process of making the necessary improvements so that we can send the uncompressed RGB data to the keyboard. Additionally, we are optimizing the data protocol and LED driver/display algorithms through the display control firmware to handle the uncompressed data, and to more efficiently program the “current sources” that drive the LED array. This should give our most “resourceful” customers an easy way to identify the data and be able to easily send standard RGB 8 bit values.
This enhancement had already been planned and will be implemented in a few weeks by the release of a software update, which will be announced and be made available to download here and at Corsair.com.

- Corsair Team

Associate
There was your official response. And that's all well and good.

Here's my £140, which is quite a lot to spend on a keyboard.

Why should I spend £140 on a keyboard (which admittedly appears to be a nice bit of kit), when it doesn't do what it claims, and what is does do seems to have a few problems ?

It's about time marketing and accounts gave engineering a little more respect and time. They might even consider giving potential customers what they expect from a "high end" keyboard - something that works as expected.

Soldato
There was your official response. And that's all well and good.

Here's my £140, which is quite a lot to spend on a keyboard.

Why should I spend £140 on a keyboard (which admittedly appears to be a nice bit of kit), when it doesn't do what it claims, and what is does do seems to have a few problems ?

It's about time marketing and accounts gave engineering a little more respect and time. They might even consider giving potential customers what they expect from a "high end" keyboard - something that works as expected.

Have to agree. If and when this issue is sorted out properly then I'll consider purchasing one but not until it is. Had I already purchased it, I'd be returning it for a refund in the interim.

I have nothing against Corsair (I have one of their cases and it's awesome) but high-end products like this shouldn't be launched when the manufacturers know full well that it doesn't do what it's claimed to.

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on this keyboard generally? Interested to know what you had before and how they compare.

I'm moving from a Logitech G710+. Currently using my old Sidewinder x4 and compared to mechanical it just feels so mushy

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on this keyboard generally? Interested to know what you had before and how they compare.

I'm moving from a Logitech G710+. Currently using my old Sidewinder x4 and compared to mechanical it just feels so mushy

Excellent - not had a mechanical keyboard in years and its a revelation coming back. The build quality is 10/10. A few niggles with the early f/w, but fixed with 1.13 and latest CUE s/w. IMO its the s/w that lets it down, could be better.

The colour customisation is fantastic, looks great all lit up.

Back
Top Bottom