Council Tax

Soldato
Why would I sign a petition which;

1) Seeks to remove penalties and make it easier for people to avoid paying their taxes.
2) Would result in an increase in MY taxes to make up for the shortfall due to tax dodgers.

I would suggest that if you and your family are in a position that you are unable to pay your council tax then you really need to reassess whether you need all your expensive computer components.

PC's' flat screen TV's and holidays abroad are luxuries. Taxes are not.

/Salsa

This. People already have zero sense of responsibility, making it easier to skip a tax they'll IMMEDIATELY would take advance of. It's fine as it is.

I pay mine (to house, feed and clothe deadbeats), you pay yours.

Permabanned
Councils are already having to close libraries and swimming pools. Do you really want them to shut down all social services too?
As much as I loved libraries as a child they really now only cater for old people, and yes I made full use of swimming pools but as a public recreation they are expensive to maintain.

I really don't see the need for a bunch of busybodies running around appointing Equal Opportunity Officiers at my expense, and the only 'service' they seem to provide are the Speed Camera vans making a healthy profit for the staff Christmas party.
I disagree with how inefficient councils are
My wife used to work in a lot of council departments, they are all a bunch of useless monkeys who think 'busy' is wandering around with a bit of paper in their hand looking confused.

Council tax is fine when you are on an average wage, but if you are not it is a massive burden. I fail to see how they justify any of it, and increasingly they just exist to make everyone's lives more difficult. I'd vote for anyone who would gut the spine from the whole useless lot of them.

Associate
You should pay your CT bill, end of. However, for disadvantaged people on benefits (not the bone idle), it should not be up to individual councils to decide what % you should pay, as is now the case. It should be a country wide system imo.

Soldato
Thanks, that reminded me that my last payment for last year is due tomorrow.

Which I paid.

Because I'm not a criminal.

Soldato
Hang on, is this from the guy that has posted at least twice in the "Items you have bought" threads in the last 6 months with "Supra" Trainers that appear to have an RRP of £80-£90, 9 months ago had a build thread for a PC of £600 can afford to pay £35 per month for 50MB Broadband?

Looks to me like you simply don't want to pay rather than can't pay.

Soldato
My petition is for being able to walk out of shops with arms full of sweet loot having not paid a penny to be decriminalised. I and my family feel really strongly about this, please help.

Soldato
I have to pay, why shouldn't everyone? I get sick of seeing people on benefits in new cars and going on expensive foreign holidays every year when I'm driving a 10 year old car and holiday every 2 years. The growing sense of entitlement this country has seen from certain sections of the populace in the last 20 years is staggering. Good news. Finally I can see a benefit to actually working and contributing to society.
pretty much this really.... I have to pay my bills so why should I make it easier for people to not pay them so no I'm not signing either.

Simply pay the bills you should pay or talk to the council like it suggest because if you can't pay you can maybe get it reduced, they've just changed the 'name' of the benefit to council tax reduction (google is your friend :)) So basically those who milk the system for all it's worth and don't try to work (not those of you actively looking, on pension or disabled etc) will still likely not be paying the council tax :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Pay your debts, there is plenty of help for those in genuine need and councils are very accommodating with setting up payment plans if you find yourself in financial problems temporarily.

Not signing.

Don

If the court doesn't think you have a valid reason for not paying, it can send you to prison for up to 3 months.'

I've quoted the important bit here from your OP.

Don't pay your bills, council asks Courts to decide whether you can actually afford it or not (who has the legal ability to see your financial affairs).

Can't pay it, no problem.
Can pay it and simply refuse, off to prison for you.

I see no issue, I won't be signing.

Permabanned
Looks to me like you simply don't want to pay rather than can't pay.

Where did the OP say that this actually applied to him?

Besides, Prison is an insanely expensive solution for people who endanger the community, not for petty issues like this.
Councils like nothing more than empire building and finding new ways to waste everyone's money (there is no incentive for them to reduce costs at all).

Permabanned
Council tax is one of those things that you prioritise with rent/mortgage, utilities and food, if you can't even paid those then you truly are ******

The only people that get locked up for not paying council tax are those that refuse not those that can't

Back
Top Bottom