***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Associate
Take On Helicopters is not a new engine and is, in the most part, directly portable from ArmA 2 as they share the Real Virtuality 3 engine; only some of the calls differ for different scenarios.

It is actually a new engine due to how much they had to change to make it MMO based. From rockets twitter a few weeks back:

It IS a new engine. We gutted it and rewrote it as an MMO.

It's *NOT* a recycled engine. The map is modified chernarus. And release is milestone, not date, based

It's the DayZ Engine. It's an MMO engine modified for DayZ to run entirely server-side. I've really said this rather a lot

It also has an *entirely* new ground-up inventory system, new damage system, I mean I can't fit all the changes in here

A new engine often reuses substantial code from many projects, and certainly structure.

And reddit:
The fact is: the server/client architecture change is a huge success. Even UI elements are now directed and run on the server - the impact this will have on security and hacking is just on another planet compared to where ArmA3, ArmA2, and the mod are at.

So yeh, new engine based off what you mentioned. I'm not suprised it's taken this long, especially with how much they've changed the map up too.

Associate
So the games not coming out June then ? Its ok I was told by an in the known it would defiantly be June. Looking forward to watching people like Frankie play the alpha.

Anyone from here been asked to be part of the Alpha ?

Soldato
So the games not coming out June then ? Its ok I was told by an in the known it would defiantly be June. Looking forward to watching people like Frankie play the alpha.

Anyone from here been asked to be part of the Alpha ?

Same, disappointed its clearly not as far along as i thought it would be.

Soldato
What they want to do seems a little ambitious for the amount of devs that they have, especially completely redesigning the vehicles to make them customisable.

Having said that, I really like the look of it, but it still looks like it's gonna be a while off

bJN

bJN

Soldato
It is actually a new engine due to how much they had to change to make it MMO based. From rockets twitter a few weeks back:

So yeh, new engine based off what you mentioned. I'm not suprised it's taken this long, especially with how much they've changed the map up too.

Dean can say he gutted the engine as much as he wants, along with saying it's a new engine. But Dean Hall is not the epitome of truth and the fact remains that it is the same engine as Take On Helicopters, the third generation of Real Virtuality.

A new inventory system, damage system and a modified map does not make a new engine. Rehashing the packet-handling system does not make a new engine. They're modifying existing features.

I'm not surprised it has taken this long, because the codes used in RV3 are a pain in the arse and completely backwards compared to what you would expect nine times out of ten.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the game finally being released, but it's a long way off and a lot more work needs to be done before people get impressed. Riding off the hype and build-up won't last much longer.

Soldato
Let's not forget that it is still in alpha. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the cartoonish movement though but less clunkiness is always a bonus.

Soldato
been a long time since i played DayZ so im probably looking at this with fresh eyes, but to me its looking very promising.

If i heard dean correctly in teh video he said the alpha will be released at a low price to get early adopters on board, so that doesnt sound like it will be a closed affair, more like maybe heres an alpha, limited number of keys so first come first served or such.

I think DayZ is the perfect example of a game that if you want to make it a success, get involved early, give as much feedback as possible and soak it up.

Soldato
You gys need to consider who BIS are, they are small and they make amazing products, with a map editor, mod tools and no restrictions with DLC splitting the gamers.

How do you think us Arma players feel. We have to wait for the ACE mod to come out to get a full experience.

Having said that, they are a great company.

Associate
You gys need to consider who BIS are, they are small and they make amazing products, with a map editor, mod tools and no restrictions with DLC splitting the gamers.

How do you think us Arma players feel. We have to wait for the ACE mod to come out to get a full experience.

Having said that, they are a great company.

I would have to agree, the products are buggy and take a while to fix but I think they are very valuable in an industry mainly dictated by publishing/suits. Standalone looks VERY early days but if they have fixed the server side stuff its well on its way to grow into something great.

It might actually work in our favour and all the 'trash' players might bail to other so called next gen products. We will be left with a smaller but more quality community. I hope.

Soldato
The game needs an end game hook or it will go the same way as the mod which is just pure PvP, when a night of Wasteland gives me the same PvP battles with a whole bunch of extra toys to play with.

Associate
Dean can say he gutted the engine as much as he wants, along with saying it's a new engine. But Dean Hall is not the epitome of truth and the fact remains that it is the same engine as Take On Helicopters, the third generation of Real Virtuality.

A new inventory system, damage system and a modified map does not make a new engine. Rehashing the packet-handling system does not make a new engine. They're modifying existing features.

I'm not surprised it has taken this long, because the codes used in RV3 are a pain in the arse and completely backwards compared to what you would expect nine times out of ten.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the game finally being released, but it's a long way off and a lot more work needs to be done before people get impressed. Riding off the hype and build-up won't last much longer.

I'm not too great at explaining things at times, but this guy has got it right:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1g99dn/complainers_do_you_actually_know_what_a_game/

They have changed so much, and written some bits from scratch, that it certainly is very different from the other engines they are taking assets from. To say it hasn't changed much is a disservice to the dev team.

I'm not saying Dean is the one who knows it all either (as his attitude isn't that good at times), but he is the guy working on it and I do have faith that the changes they've made will be worth it. I'll take a basic, glitchy game (for now) with no hacking any day over the current one, despite how much I enjoy it.

Agree with you on the hype fully though, when it releases there is going to be an insane amount of complaints. It will be buggy, lack features (no vehicles, no tents etc) and need a TON of work still, but I'm looking forward to that. Because it will only get better from then. I'm impressed with what they've got already, and a mostly hack free DayZ will be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom