DCS & Quest 2

Soldato
Anyone on here play DCS with a Quest, specifically, but not limited to the 2, any other Quest type AR/VR headset could also have valid input..

I've been playing with a friends Q2 for about a week now, and while its really useful to be able to look around to actually see whats going on, I still need to use the keyboard for various controls, which obviously I cant do when I've got a headset on..
Most flight/fight controls are on my HOTAS, but there's still a fair few controls that are on the keyboard...

I cant be the only person with this sort of issue and am wondering what other people are doing to get around the issue..

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Solutions that I’ve seen:
- voice attack, as mentioned above. I tend to use it for communications to ATC and similar
- button boxes, HOTAS, flight panels. There’s a lot of options now, varying between vaguely cheap to trying to replicate panels in F16, F18s
- slugmouse and pointctrl. Both of these are home brew solutions to being able to point with your finger at something and click with the device strapped to your finger
- mouse. If you have a full fidelity aircraft, switches and buttons in the aircraft can be controlled with a mouse. I ended up with a Logitech ball mouse for my left hand aswell as a std mouse on the right

Soldato
OP
I'm wondering if just using my webcam for head tracking, or maybe getting a Tobii Eye Tracker might be a better solution than the Quest, I certainly don't play enough to warrant going down the WinWing route with all the panels, but an eye tracker could at least also be used for Windows Hello...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My personal opinion is that I consider VR to be awesome in sims. I’ve tried other genres and never really got on with them.

If you’re on the fence, get a cheap headtracker and see how you get on.
I bought my son a Delanclip for just £50 and that seems to work well. DCS is also a LOT easier to run on a monitor, so the eye candy can be cranked up. No, you don’t get anything like the same immersion, but there are a number of benefits in using head tracking

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah head trackings where I started, but then a mate said I could borrow his Q2 so I've had that for a week or so now, immersion wise its an absolute game changer, after nearly making myself sick inverted at treetop level in a TF-51 dropping into the F15C and doing a bit of 1v1 dogfighting its something else entirely and other than the fact one eye is slightly out of focus, which would possibly be solved by moving to the Q3 with its pancake lenses the only thing stopping me is not being able to use the keyboard for certain things.

What would help is maybe the headset being able to flip up and down quickly so I could see the keyboard, or if the hand tracking without the controllers was good enough to actually use the cockpit as you would IRL...

Soldato
Yeah head trackings where I started, but then a mate said I could borrow his Q2 so I've had that for a week or so now, immersion wise its an absolute game changer, after nearly making myself sick inverted at treetop level in a TF-51 dropping into the F15C and doing a bit of 1v1 dogfighting its something else entirely and other than the fact one eye is slightly out of focus, which would possibly be solved by moving to the Q3 with its pancake lenses the only thing stopping me is not being able to use the keyboard for certain things.

What would help is maybe the headset being able to flip up and down quickly so I could see the keyboard, or if the hand tracking without the controllers was good enough to actually use the cockpit as you would IRL...

A double tap on the side of the Q2/Q3 brings up passthrough mode if you need to see a keyboard for a few moments.

Soldato
Buy a halo headstrap and remove the facial interface (or buy a magnetic one like I have so you can easily remove or swap it), then you can look down and see the keys if you need to.

Soldato
OP
A double tap on the side of the Q2/Q3 brings up passthrough mode if you need to see a keyboard for a few moments.

You're starting to make me think that maybe a RTFM session is in order...

I literally took it out of the case, plugged it in, had a quick poke around the website to find the software and that was it...

Soldato
Unfortunately, doing the RTFM thing may not be too helpful as a lot of hack info is hidden until someone discovers it and sticks it on the interweb.

Stuff like this is not in the meta manual but works brilliantly and should be part of the regular software and in the manual.

Last edited:
Associate
Like others have said Voice attack is a game changer in VR, you don't really need a keyboard once you have all your commands setup. I use it in IL2-Sturmovic, also recommend getting a throttle quadrant and rudder peddles.

I have a Pico 4

Voice attack on steamstore

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm thinking that I prefer head tracking over VR for DCS, there's so many other things that need to happen outside of HOTAS that it just not viable.
Something like IL2, or something where you have less controls would probably work really well, but in modern jets, I don't think it works for me.

Soldato
I've finally managed to get all the bits together (Quest 3, Warthog HOTAS, decent PC) and have been itching to give it a try. I assume that with the full HOTAS I should be able to get by without a keyboard? I still think the biggest issue is the steep learning curve to get to grips with not just operating the aircraft, but getting familliar with the staggering number of controls on the HOTAS system.

Back
Top Bottom