DDR5 for 14700k

Soldato
Just struggling to pin down the right RAM to add to my cart for a 14700k build. Is 32GB the sweet spot, or do I splurge for 64GB? If the sticks are advertised as AMD's Expo, does that mean they do not have XMP profiles on board too, or does it depend entirely on the SKU?

Essentially I'm looking for 32GB/64GB DDR5 6000 RGB XMP RAM.

What would you recommend please?

This would be ideal if I knew it had XMP profile for me to select the 6000MT speed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Getting 6000MT at CL30 with 64GB is far from a guarantee - depends a lot on the CPU and motherboard, though 2 sticks is probably a better bet than with 4.

6000 @ ~CL30 is the sweet spot though, beyond that is increasingly diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you sure about that? I've seen CPU-Z SPD screenshots where they didn't appear to have?

I personally Don’t know if some kits have both profiles

OP, I would get Intel tuned RAM for Intel and vice versa.

You can tweak the speed and timings yourself but for ease of use, just get the RAM you’d pair with the relevant CPU.

Looking at that original kit of RAM you were considering, you could get 6000 CL 30 RAM at £110 (ish) and be very happy but you could also spend the extra £40 and get 7200 speed RAM (below) which will not be a lot faster but is a noticeable bump in certain games/applications.

Id personally not go crazy and spend a lot on RAM as you can always overclock it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I personally Don’t know if some kits have both profiles

OP, I would get Intel tuned RAM for Intel and vice versa.

You can tweak the speed and timings yourself but for ease of use, just get the RAM you’d pair with the relevant CPU.

Looking at that original kit of RAM you were considering, you could get 6000 CL 30 RAM at £110 (ish) and be very happy but you could also spend the extra £40 and get 7200 speed RAM (below) which will not be a lot faster but is a noticeable bump in certain games/applications.

Id personally not go crazy and spend a lot on RAM as you can always overclock it.

Thanks. I'm very rusty with this. I'm aware some kits come with multiple XMP. What happens if I can't get that kit stable at 7200MT with my CPU due to lottery? Is there another XMP profile where I can just bump it down to say 6600 or something? Sorry, long time since I've looked at this.

Man of Honour
Is there another XMP profile where I can just bump it down to say 6600 or something?
if you look @ reviews, they often have screenshots of the SPD table from CPU-Z (or other app) and from what I've seen, unlike with DDR4, a lot of these kits only have one profile :o

Soldato
OP
The speed vs CAS rating is as confusing as it ever was.

Just found a nice priced GSkill C30 6000MT 32GB RGB set -

5-6000J3040F16GA2-TZ5RK​

It's not on this board's QVL list though :/

EDIT: Right, think I'll just go for this stuff: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...00c30-6000mhz-dual-channel-mem-crs-01124.html

For any mods listening, some suggestions for the store website. Some of the filters do not work correctly and do not always show products that match the filters. Also, results show that you have hardly any XMP RAM on your site in the 6000Mhz section because they all list EXPO in the title. You have to delve into the fine print to find XMP stuff which is very fiddle. Just some friendly, constructive criticism :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also, results show that you have hardly any XMP RAM on your site in the 6000Mhz section because they all list EXPO in the title. You have to delve into the fine print to find XMP stuff which is very fiddle. Just some friendly, constructive criticism :)
If I'm understanding you correctly, FYI: if they list EXPO in the title and you find XMP in the description, it is probably a copy and paste, or just a generic description for the kit and it is still an EXPO kit.

Soldato
OP
If I'm understanding you correctly, FYI: if they list EXPO in the title and you find XMP in the description, it is probably a copy and paste, or just a generic description for the kit and it is still an EXPO kit.
Yup, that's the issue, so I'm finding it really difficult to pin down the right XMP3.0 6000 DDR5 32GB RGB kit. I'm not that fussed on branding, just that it works without require silly high voltage for the XMP profile to be stable.

Man of Honour
Yup, that's the issue, so I'm finding it really difficult to pin down the right XMP3.0 6000 DDR5 32GB RGB kit. I'm not that fussed on branding, just that it works without require silly high voltage for the XMP profile to be stable.
6000 has been considered the optimal speed for AMD for quite some time, so I'd guess that most low latency 6000 kits are targeting AMD.

On the other hand, getting over 6000 wasn't very achievable with AMD, so I'd expect kits above this speed to more commonly be XMP.

From my understanding Expo memory also come with xmp profiles and work with Intel , is that not the case ?
My understanding is: unless otherwise specified in their description, EXPO and XMP kits have profiles only for one. AMD motherboards can usually use XMP profiles, but I don't know how effectively Intel motherboards can use EXPO profiles.

Man of Honour
My understanding is: unless otherwise specified in their description, EXPO and XMP kits have profiles only for one. AMD motherboards can usually use XMP profiles, but I don't know how effectively Intel motherboards can use EXPO profiles.
Tx.

@Amraam I would email G skill to get a diffinative answer .

Alternatively take a look at adata xpg lancer 6000mhz c30 memory.

Man of Honour
It won't work at all or XMP won't run, or what?
It just means that it was never tested, even if the memory is on the QVL it doesn't guarantee it will work anyway, since every CPU is different (at least, when it comes to high-speed memory that's way above the spec).

Associate
Memory matchngs awfully more complicated than it should be, or is it just my doing? For example, this kit...
people overthink RAM and make a simple situation more difficult.

If you just get good RAM, that’s all you really need and getting RAM that’s on a QVL list or not ultra high speed high capacity is a good way of getting good reliable performance.

E.g. you don’t want a 7600+ MT/S 64gig kit. It won’t work with almost all motherboards.

If you’re getting AMD, 6000 MT/s speed is what you want and if you’re running Intel, anything between 6000 MT/s to 7400 is fine.

You’re getting diminishing performance returns on your money as you get into the 7600 range.

Soldato
OP
people overthink RAM and make a simple situation more difficult.

If you just get good RAM, that’s all you really need and getting RAM that’s on a QVL list or not ultra high speed high capacity is a good way of getting good reliable performance.

E.g. you don’t want a 7600+ MT/S 64gig kit. It won’t work with almost all motherboards.

If you’re getting AMD, 6000 MT/s speed is what you want and if you’re running Intel, anything between 6000 MT/s to 7400 is fine.

You’re getting diminishing performance returns on your money as you get into the 7600 range.
Thanks. So I could afford to go CL 32/34 if I'm going faster MT?

Back
Top Bottom