Dell 32” 6K

Soldato
I can’t wait for this! Finally an alternative to the extremely expensive Apple XDR display.

I’ve been using 2560x1600 30” for ages as I find it about the best resolution/screen size mix. I haven’t seen anything on the market that feels like a real upgrade.

With this new Dell, I can scale 2:1 and have a crisp display and slight bump in usable desktop.

I know this type of monitor won’t appeal to many on here but for folks looking for premium productivity focused monitors - this seems ideal.

Soldato
Looks like a great screen.

I’ve been using the Dell UP3218K 32” 8K for the last four years or so and it’s been absolutely phenomenal.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy a monitor with a lower PPI ever again as it’s been an absolute dream to work with as my main screen.

Is there any reason you’ve not considered one given that it seems like a good fit?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like a great screen.

I’ve been using the Dell UP3218K 32” 8K for the last four years or so and it’s been absolutely phenomenal.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy a monitor with a lower PPI ever again as it’s been an absolute dream to work with as my main screen.

Is there any reason you’ve not considered one given that it seems like a good fit?
Sorry, didn’t see this. I like the 6K because it works well with MacOS (Same resolution as Apples XDR pro). With 2:1 scaling, I think it’s the perfect resolution for a 32” screen.

I have the Dell 6K monitor at work and it’s great, super sharp image. At home I didn’t want to spend that much so I have a Dell 30” 2560x1600 which is a great resolution for 30” screen. It also means I can play the odd game as well, don’t think my PC would do well playing anything at 6K.

Soldato
Why does it have an ethernet connection?

I think it's to take advantage of the Thunderbolt connection on the monitor. So you've got a single cable solution for a laptop to take advantage of various things (incl. Ethernet) already connected to the display.

Looks like a really nice monitor (bar the giant webcam...) but as expected, it's quite costly.

Soldato
Wish it was bigger
Yeah...

But what are your thoughts on the monitor? :D

Jokes aside, I'm in the same boat. 32" has been the top size monitor for normal aspect ratios and if you want anything above that it's a 43" TV or gaming monitor.

I've been rocking an LG 32" 4K monitor since 2018 and I haven't seen much improvement over the years to warrant a switch at the same size :(

Associate
for those that have bought these for their Macs, how is it?

I have this monitor and used with M1 Max MacBook Pro connected via thunderbolt, have been using for about 6 months.

It’s good, the PPI/res is great and after a few Mac OS issues, it has now settled down and is stable in relation to sleep behavior. 60Hz refresh rate so depends on what you will be using for but it is more work focused rather than gaming. Love the KVM function as you can connect another machine and switch peripherals easily.

Not keen on the way it looks with the fat forehead and camera, camera is decent but perhaps not better than a dedicated external one. Also the speakers are better than most in-built but still not good enough to not need external speakers. So a fat forehead becomes redundant. So I’m not sure why Dell couldn’t have released a variant in a more traditional appearance, currently it looks a bit odd to me.

I personally prefer the 21:9 aspect ratio as it suits how I work, so I’ve jumped over to the new 40 inch 5k2k by Dell 4025QW. That is less PPI as it is an effectively 32inch 4k ultrawide but it has higher refresh rate (on Windows for me), so suits my dual purpose of connecting my windows machine where I have some games. A few issues currently with M1 Max but hopefully they will be sorted soon.

I think the 6k is ideally suited to a single monitor, one cable to connect/dock hot desk type setup.

Unfortunately my ‘perfect’ monitor, a 40ish inch 6k ultrawide doesn’t exist currently - hopefully with thunderbolt 5 we may get it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally prefer the 21:9 aspect ratio as it suits how I work, so I’ve jumped over to the new 40 inch 5k2k by Dell 4025QW.
I've been tempted by that one but £1600 for a non oled seems mad. The kvm and connectivity is perfect for me though. Have you had an oled? Can you compare image quality of the IPS black panel to it? I've read that it's effectively pointless for HDR content.

Soldato
I've been tempted by that one but £1600 for a non oled seems mad. The kvm and connectivity is perfect for me though. Have you had an oled? Can you compare image quality of the IPS black panel to it? I've read that it's effectively pointless for HDR content.

I've used this screen and OLED screens, there's no comparison for HDR contents or black levels. This is an edge-lit LCD so you should not at all expect even Mini-LED type black levels, let alone anything from an OLED.

You should only buy this for pixel density and text/image sharpness/clarify. There's no OLED that can come anywhere near it. Similarly this doesn't come anywhere near an OLED in black levels or motion clarity. They are fundamentally different products with different compromises.

Associate
I've used this screen and OLED screens, there's no comparison for HDR contents or black levels. This is an edge-lit LCD so you should not at all expect even Mini-LED type black levels, let alone anything from an OLED.

You should only buy this for pixel density and text/image sharpness/clarify. There's no OLED that can come anywhere near it. Similarly this doesn't come anywhere near an OLED in black levels or motion clarity. They are fundamentally different products with different compromises.

Pretty much echo this completely. Very well put! I’ve never had an OLED monitor but I doubt I would consider an OLED for a work monitor - if it was for gaming only then possibly yes. On the flip side I wouldn’t consider LCD for a TV, I’d go OLED for TV, movies and gaming.

On the 4025QW…Yes it’s expensive, but it fulfills a fairly niche use case - Ultrawide, KVM, Thunderbolt, 120Hz. I justified it based on how the price compared to other older panels in the same segment, plus the ultrawide is cheaper than the 32” 6K ;).

Also I work for myself so a work expense for me, which helps a bit. I’ll be on it 8+ hours a day.

Both the 6K and the ultrawide 5K2K monitors are good, both could be better. 6K has the pixel density, 5K2K has the aspect ratio, it’s more about deciding which you prefer and which suits your need best - no right or wrong answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info guys. This would be for a mix of work and gaming. With the improved text clarity on the new oleds I think I'll lean that way. Just waiting for one with a good kvm and power supply.

Associate
Interesting Dell make no mention of resolution. Anyway “6k” at 30 inches might (will) be a bit squinty I think.
From the Dell product page. 6K 6144 x 3456 at 60 Hz. I don’t think there is an official definition of 6K, I’m thinking it is anything over 6000 wide.

This monitor isn’t designed to be viewed/used at the native res., it is hiDPI (retina in Apple terms) so should be used scaled.

Soldato
From the Dell product page. 6K 6144 x 3456 at 60 Hz. I don’t think there is an official definition of 6K, I’m thinking it is anything over 6000 wide.

This monitor isn’t designed to be viewed/used at the native res., it is hiDPI (retina in Apple terms) so should be used scaled.

It’s just too pixel dense IMO. Give me 5000x3000 at 30-35” 4:4:4 and 100hz~

Back
Top Bottom