**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Soldato
Thanks for that. Does the Dell image work with the T20 nic or is that why you put in another network card?

The Dell image does not include the driver for the Onboard NIC. This is why the instructions in post 7 of the link posted by Steveocee needs to be followed.

I added the extra NIC as I need the extra ports for some specific tests I need to run in my lab.

Soldato
Finally ordered one, due to arrive tomorrow. A couple of questions...

For my MCSA Server 2012R2 I want to configure it like the TLG provided here by MS - http://bit.ly/1PFLIO8

I have 3x128gb SSDs and 1x60gb SSD. What's the best way to sort storage for the above? Install the OS on one of the 128gb drives, set up the remaining 3 as a storage pool and split that space evenly across the VMs I need? Or is there a better way?

Associate
I installed ESXI 6.0 U1 without issue and the T20 Nic worked without any additional steps. Maybe the drivers have been added in the latest release of the official Vmware build

Associate
Well, My Server will arrive today :D i am excited to finally make use of all these hard drives sat on my desk since Christmas!

I am going to be sad to turn my old machine off, up 439 days lol.

Soldato
Mine has arrived and is sitting at my desk.

Regarding the disks I have above that have old Windows 8 data on them, can I just format them and plug them in or am I sorting them via the RAID controller?

Soldato
Foes it come with any form of remote management built in? I'd love to get one of these as a hyper-v host but id want to have the ability to remote manage

The Xeon model has Intel AMT (Active Management Technology), but I've not enabled it on mine. There's more info here.

NOTE: AMT is not available on the non Xeon T20's, even if you upgrade the CPU later as it is disabled, more info here.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, got the 4 drives in which was a bit of squeeze, ran the usual BIOS tests, passed all fine and installed Server 2012R2 without a hitch. Ran Windows Update all fine and seems pretty zippy.

Think I'll just go through the course material before doing anything ridiculous regarding storage/VMs etc

Associate
Got two, but undecided what OS to run on them, all I need them for is a simple file server, but running the crashplan app on one (fed up of the faff keeping the it running headless on my synology nas!)

Any tips? Never even looked at Linux before!

Associate
Got two, but undecided what OS to run on them, all I need them for is a simple file server, but running the crashplan app on one (fed up of the faff keeping the it running headless on my synology nas!)

Any tips? Never even looked at Linux before!

I think you should try out ESXi, then you can try out the various Linux flavours till you find one that suits.
Virtualisation particularly lends itself to this as you can take a snapshot before you try anything that might brick your server, and just roll back if it all goes pearshaped.

I did exactly this when building my first Linux server (Running Plex and sabnzbd). I wanted to run it as a server with no GUI. I just spooled up an Ubuntu desktop and Ubuntu server, figured out how to do it with the benefit of the GUI on the desktop, and replicated that in command line on the server.

Back
Top Bottom