Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Ouch I paid £469.99 here for mine and missed out on a better offer they had before :| mine so far is pretty close to perfect just a little backlight bleed - which is acceptable enough but not 100% ideal.

Soldato
mine should be here tomorrow direct from Dell, and its lower then £350 for me and its try buy so if its not perfect - back it goes and I'll get another one till I get one that is perfect.

£529 for a monitor is a lot of money - you can get a 55" TV for this, but then this is a g sync 1440 144hz screen, sadly not IPS though.

Associate
I'm glad i'm not having the issues you guys are having. Mine is a slightly older A01 revision and I had to test if it's HDCP compliant as apparantly some of the earlier revisions aren't! Luckily mine is fine when it comes to HDCP. I have pretty much no light bleed at all except for a tiny amount along the bottom above the dell logo, but you'd really have to look to notice it.

One thing I have noticed though which I find a bit irritating is the ghosting when it comes to scrolling text on some websites... Sometimes it's really noticeable depending on the colour of the text and background. It's even worse when you enable the fast response in the OSD :rolleyes:. I've also heard the A02 & A03 revisions have a very light (semi gloss?) AG coating compared to the earlier models... Is this true?

Anyway, what's going on with the pricing for these at OcUK? £529.99 is a bit steep which also makes OcUK one of the most (or possibly the most) expensive places to buy this model in the UK! I'm glad I got mine a few months back when it was just £390!

Man of Honour
^^ Yeah from A02 they changed the AG coating on this and the Asus equivalent panel which makes the whites less grainy and I think A03 they tweaked it again - seem to have also reduced the incidents of screendoor inversion type artefacts at 144Hz as well.

I wouldn't enable fast response - it seems to only provide a very minor benefit situationally while a much higher chance of overshoot, etc.

Associate
^^ Yeah from A02 they changed the AG coating on this and the Asus equivalent panel which makes the whites less grainy and I think A03 they tweaked it again - seem to have also reduced the incidents of screendoor inversion type artefacts at 144Hz as well.

I wouldn't enable fast response - it seems to only provide a very minor benefit situationally while a much higher chance of overshoot, etc.

I keep the response setting as normal as I really can't see any notable difference in games. Luckily I've never noticed or even had the pixel inversion/screen door effect with my screen... It's just the ghosting I get when scrolling through text depending on the colours used on the page.

The AG coating is slightly noticeable with my rev A01 (mainly on white backgrounds)... But not whilst gaming or watching videos. It's not as thick as my previous screen which was an LG IPS model.

Soldato

No changes were made to the screen surface between A02 and A03. And I haven't seen any evidence that new revisions of the PG278Q use an improved screen surface, even if it theoretically would make sense.

Man of Honour
No changes were made to the screen surface between A02 and A03. And I haven't seen any evidence that new revisions of the PG278Q use an improved screen surface, even if it theoretically would make sense.

Unless there is a lot of variation there seems to have been a revision of the PG278Q - my original and the ones I've seen from other people that bought early on were quite matt with grainy whites while most of the RMA replacements/newer ones have had much better whites with more of a "pop" to the colours and overall smoother glossier image like a lighter AG coating would do.

A02 and A03 changes I'm not sure on - I'm not sure if Dell has publicly published details - the last time I looked there was a post from a rep who said their engineers weren't releasing details but broadly hinted the main differences were tweaks to the coating and deep sleep functionality.

Soldato
A02 and A03 changes I'm not sure on - I'm not sure if Dell has publicly published details - the last time I looked there was a post from a rep who said their engineers weren't releasing details but broadly hinted the main differences were tweaks to the coating and deep sleep functionality.

I've tested both fairly extensively. There are no differences in screen surface between the two nor any other change to write home about. Deep sleep functionality may well have improved, but that's it.

Soldato
Still waiting for mine direct from Dell, the wait is killing me, but sadly try buy from Dell is a lot slower, I doubt I'll be seeing this till mid next week..

Still best comes to those that wait I guess. I has got to be a better monitor then this ASUS 60hz VE247 I'm using, the g sync 1440 alone should be a huge improvement, lot alone 144mhz.

Soldato
Hi,

I've just received this monitor, and PM2 I was hoping I could confirm the process for getting the settings right...

1. Use the ICC Profile from TFT Central
  2. Apply the recommended settings from the TFT Central review
  3. Adjust slightly to taste if necessary?! :)

No need to fiddle with Nvidia Control panel settings?

Also, for G-Sync, you need to :

1. Keep V-Sync off in games
  2. Ensure G-Sync is on in Nvidia settings
  3. ... Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
With mine I managed to get very close to perfect with just:

0.75 Gamma in NVCP (most of these and the Asus I've seen are 0.86 to 0.92)
30% Brightness (adjust to taste)
99%, 99%, 96% R, G, B user colours

About as close to my calibrated Dell U2913WM as makes no odds for gaming and general desktop use its a little out but impossible to get a better balance through the nVidia control panel and OSD without destroying colour depth - not sure about ICC profiles but they'd be finessed for the individual panel anyhow.

Soldato
With mine I managed to get very close to perfect with just:

0.75 Gamma in NVCP (most of these and the Asus I've seen are 0.86 to 0.92)
30% Brightness (adjust to taste)
99%, 99%, 96% R, G, B user colours

About as close to my calibrated Dell U2913WM as makes no odds for gaming and general desktop use its a little out but impossible to get a better balance through the nVidia control panel and OSD without destroying colour depth - not sure about ICC profiles but they'd be finessed for the individual panel anyhow.

Thanks Rroff, I'll give those settings a go. :)

Associate
The only issue ive noticed with custom ICC profiles is that some games ignore it and then don't restore the profile after exiting. I then have to manually apply the profile again (Windows 10).

I used the suggested RGB settings from TFT central and also applied their ICC profile and it looks fine to me (for a TN panel). I didn't touch any of the colour or gamma settings in the Nvidia control panel... I do have the brightness set to 40 though as I thought 26 looked a bit too dim for my liking. I can't remember the default brightness out the box but I do remember it being eyeball melting! It was the first thing I changed.

Associate
I got my S2716DG yesterday and have it setup and configured as TFTCentral recommend. I haven't done the ICC profile yet, but the screen is just amazing.

I have been playing the BF1 beta and admittedly with my 970 at stock I am only at times getting 90 fps on high at its native resolution it looks awesome. Its more responsive and smoother than my old benQ 120hz gaming monitor and this is before I upgrade my graphics card to allow me to get back up to frame rates that will make the monitor shine.

So far very impressed with BF1 and the monitor :)

Associate
Echoing previous comments about the ocuk price being very oddly high.

Those who have bought it from Dell - have you got a discount or something as the price on there is quite high.

Associate
Just got a A03 no dead pixels or a$$ cheeks. :)

If it is <£600 then I could be tempted but only.... if the anti glare coating is as light as the LG ultrawide IPS panels, a grainy/heavy matte finish looks awful and really ruins the clarity/"pop" of displays.

Don't know what all the fuss is about the coating, ,mine looks fine its been said loads that they changed the coating after version A01 (most reviews are based on early models)

Man of Honour
Don't know what all the fuss is about the coating, ,mine looks fine its been said loads that they changed the coating after version A01 (most reviews are based on early models)

My A03 has a good balance AG coating IMO neither too matt or too glossy maybe slightly edging toward glossy.

Associate
Still a bit salty everyone is getting perfect monitors, yet I get 3 which are all with issues :( I really like this monitor, but it's gone back to OC for a refund. I can't go through getting another, and another, etc etc.

Need to be on the look out for another monitor now.

Back
Top Bottom