Dell U2713 HM

Man of Honour
Only been a few examples of backllight bleed posted to be fair and I expect many more happy customers not bothering to post or take pics. For what it's worth the sample we had at tftcentral for the review was a random stock sample from a retailer, not supplied through dell or a press sample so was a fair and random sample of an actual retail unit. So there are decent ones out there for sure, in fact I'm still using it :)

Soldato
Could someone please just post a picture of the screen they have without the bleed in the corner?

I count three that have said theirs are awesome, but no pic. Surely there's someone who has it, is reading this thread, and could take a few minutes to post..

Soldato
Most the time I find cnet reviews to be very unreliable however their sample had back light bleed in the lower left of the screen, the same area that people on here have had it.

Also they talk about a faint "criss-cross" pattern on light screens. I'm not sure what they mean by this. Have other people on here experienced it? :confused:

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2713hm-339341226.htm

I have just published my own review of the monitor on pcmonitors.info. I did actually notice this 'cross-cross' pattern on very light colours. I described it in a little bit of detail in the 'Contrast and brightness' section when talking about Battlefield 3. As I said not all members of my review team noticed this and they really are extremely faint even when sitting quite close to the screen. I have better than 20/20 vision and no long sightedness and usually get bugged by such things but I almost didn't even mention them :p. They only appear towards the bottom and don't really detract from the surprisingly smooth and light nature of the screen surface.

And I don't really agree with the part of that review that says 'Those who don't like Dell's "sparkling" anti-glare coating will likely also not like the U2713HM'. First off it is LG's panel surface that people have the issue with and secondly this is pretty much the smoothest matte surface you will find at the moment. It does have a light grain as does any matte surface - without it there would be no anti-glare characteristic that is required on such a monitor. Really the issue people had was the dirty and smeared crystalline look of the high-haze matte surfaces and that is not there at all. I speak as someone who can't stand the old screen surface, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not sure how reliable that reading is. Actually given that it was from a mains power reader that costs under $20 AUD and seems notoriously inaccurate you can assume fairly unreliable. Dell state in the manual that it should consume under 0.5W when off or on standby and that's not something that they are allowed to casually lie about. TFT Central measured 0.8W in standby which seems much more plausible.

Last edited:
Associate
These are actually acceptable levels of non-uniformity for this panel and LG wouldn't RMA it for Dell or any other OEM as its considered a 'characteristic' of the panel. However, its far cheaper for Flextronics/Sanmina (AKA Dell) to simply swap out than to 'communicate' with customers on what constitutes a fault (all in the name of CS ofcourse). Strangely, in Europe this is seen as a 'problem' even on non-pro panels. Bit of a nothing post but just find it interesting how much purchasing criteria varies between e.g. Japan/Korea and Europe (a reference to Dennis and VNU's grip and influence on what constitutes 'good/bad').

Associate
It costs too much money if that is considered acceptable then, might as well get a Korean. At least you know at that level of the market that you're getting what you pay for.

Associate
I got mine last Sunday and had moderate to serious bleed, image retention and the cross hatch effect on light areas. Been spending the week trying to establish if the cross hatch effect is a characteristic of the screen of a fault...
It appears its a fault as is the image retention so I've got a new one coming tomorrow. My old one was manufactured June 2010 so assuming the earlier batches are worst am hoping for a july or august model.

Soldato
I got mine last Sunday and had moderate to serious bleed, image retention and the cross hatch effect on light areas. Been spending the week trying to establish if the cross hatch effect is a characteristic of the screen of a fault...
It appears its a fault as is the image retention so I've got a new one coming tomorrow. My old one was manufactured June 2010 so assuming the earlier batches are worst am hoping for a july or august model.

Not good to hear and I hope your new one is better. What makes you think the cross-hatch is a fault, though? As far as I'm aware it is a characteristic of the panel that not everyone notices. Have you been able to confirm that somebody has noticed this and then received a replacement without it? It could be more prominent on some screens than others I suppose. Really the screen is too new I don't think people have gathered enough data to say for sure so I would like your input on this when your replacement arrives.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes its been hard to establish characteristic from fault, but I cite this reply by AKG from this thread over at Hardware Canucks
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/56786-dell-ultrasharp-u2713-27-ah-ips-monitor-review-comment-thread-4.html

"With the test sample I never noticed any image burn in issue. I used it for both excel and processioning tasks for hours and at time, both in full screen and SxS windowed mode. I use CS6 for all photo manipulation and went from using PhotoShop to excel to word constantly for days at a time and didnt notice any burn in. This doesnt mean it wasnt there, but I can honestly say I never noticed it. I also did not notice any screen door effect on our sample. If I had I would have made sure to include it in the review as that would have been disappointing to say the least! "

Anyway, as I started writing this my new unit arrived! Manufactured July so I'll unbox in a bit and get back to you... *crosses fingers*

Associate
Initial observations are that the Cross hatching is 'gone' - I say gone because as PCM2 said it may be a characteristic of the screen. I think it is still there but barely - i have to really look hard to see it which basically means its not there now :)

Am working so haven't been able to test for image retention - left it about 5 mins and there was no sign - will try longer later when I'll also test for bleed when its dark..... think I may have been lucky this time....

Soldato
Initial observations are that the Cross hatching is 'gone' - I say gone because as PCM2 said it may be a characteristic of the screen. I think it is still there but barely - i have to really look hard to see it which basically means its not there now :)

Am working so haven't been able to test for image retention - left it about 5 mins and there was no sign - will try longer later when I'll also test for bleed when its dark..... think I may have been lucky this time....

Well hopefully your positive vibes continue in the dark! Thank you very much for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I had suspected that it is an inherent issue with the panel but it is much more noticeable on some units and could be considered a fault on those ones.

Associate
I have one thing to say--- bleedin bleed! :mad:

No image retention, very little cross-hatching.... but that damn bottom left/top right bleed is there again.... I don't really watch movies on my PC and don't play games so much so might not bother returning....
But Dell do send you a new monitor before they take back the old one so I might try 1 more and if its worse then keep this one. This must cost them a fortune, I imagine most people will be exchanging their first unit at this rate!?

Associate
A dell employe responded regarding the backled bleed on the dell forum :

Uneven Backlight or Color
* We do not validate our monitors in a dark room. We use standard office lighting
* Dell monitors do not have 100% backlight uniformity specification. As long as the center 2" circle meets our manufacturer specifications, it is acceptable
* If the Brightness and Contrast are maxed to 100 and you measure the brightness difference of any two points on the monitor, the difference will never be greater than 25%
* Dell monitors do not have 100% color uniformity specification. As long as the exact center 2" circle meets x=0.313 and y=0.329 (6500K), it meets our manufacturer specifications. So, the center may be 6500K, but the sides and corners may not which is why you may see that one side or corner is different than the others

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19466444.aspx

Back
Top Bottom