Dell U2713 HM

Soldato
I have one thing to say--- bleedin bleed! :mad:

No image retention, very little cross-hatching.... but that damn bottom left/top right bleed is there again.... I don't really watch movies on my PC and don't play games so much so might not bother returning....
But Dell do send you a new monitor before they take back the old one so I might try 1 more and if its worse then keep this one. This must cost them a fortune, I imagine most people will be exchanging their first unit at this rate!?

I am sorry to hear that regarding the bleed. Dell are right in that it is perfectly within normal manufacturer specifications even on this type of monitor. I know it is unfortunate but it's just the way it is - there are really no guarantees unless you buy something where a uniformity tolerance is specifically given, like on the S27B970D. It might be worth trying one last time - yes it does cost Dell a fair bit doing what they are doing, but that is one of the reasons they have such a good reputation for customer service. Make use of it.

Seems they're as bad as Koreans

Careful how you phrase things.

Associate
I had a u2713 delivered on Friday and noticed it had over 7 dead/dark/black pixels, severe backlight bleed in the bottom left portion and what looked like a super white/bright pixel in the bottom rightish area.

I rang Dell and after speaking to several folk from India, I got offered a replacement.
The guy said the replacement will be ordered and he will call me to confirm the delivery date; most likely between Mon-Wed.

I was shocked to find the replacement arrived the very next day.
However it has EXACTLY the same fault as before; just in different locations.
This one has around 3+ dead/dark/stuck pixels and the same super bright pixel phenomenon, just nearer the bottom-center of the screen this time.

I don't know what to do now.
I've got 2 sub standard monitors & their giant boxes in my small room right now.
Not sure if I should give it one more go. Third time lucky and all. Or should I cut my losses and send the monitor back to the seller...

Oh yeah, and I also notice the cross hatching thing. A little annoying, but nothing compared to defective pixels. I don't think I'll be able to buy a monitor for the foreseeable future as if this happens to a 'premium panel' then there isn't really any hope for the cheaper displays.

*SIGH*

Anyway, here is the super bright pixel thing:

201209212243.jpg

It's not easy to capture on camera and is more profound in real life.

UPDATE: They're not dead pixels!
It's dust or some kind of debris under the screen.
I got annoyed by it and decided to start tapping at it and it moved around 1 inch!

Now that's gotta be bad quality control.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived today. Exactly the same problem with yellow bleed on left bottom!
Severely ****** off.
Pulling the bezel forward slightly,eases the problem. Overtight or something maybe?

Associate
Hello everyone,

got my U2713HM on Tuesday. Here’s the backlight which is pretty decent:

dellu2713hmbacklight.jpg

I can notice slight overbrightness and blueish tint on the lower right corner in games and films but that’s not the most annoying thing. Hatching/diagonal lines effect is unbearable when working. It is most noticeable on light grey or white areas and that includes all of my software interfaces and canvases that I’m working on (not to forget 80% of websites). It takes lower ¾ of the screen. I’m using this monitor mainly for 3D animation, After Effects and Photoshop and it is really hard to ignore such a regular pattern.

Here’s what I managed to catch in camera (those lines are a lot more prominent in real life)

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img254/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg

Anyone who’s planning to use it for serious image work should be really careful. I think I’ll be sending mine back for refund.

Associate
Probably mine is a more severe case. I've invited two colleagues to take a look at my new monitor without saying anything and they noticed that straightaway. I think I'll wait and see what people say about S27B970D.

Associate
Probably mine is a more severe case. I've invited two colleagues to take a look at my new monitor without saying anything and they noticed that straightaway. I think I'll wait and see what people say about S27B970D.
I've just received my 2nd monitor as the first had dead pixels and cross hatching.

No dead pixels this time but cross hatching is worse.

I got this with a laptop from Dell that came out around the same time. This also has a graph style (vertical/horizontal) grid on the screens, not that I noticed as it went straight back for other issues common with the whole line (XPS15)!

Associate
Got mine through today. It has July 12 build date and Rev A00. Would this be a good one or is it early in the build life of these?
I think June models had a lot of issues so that's the only date to worry about. July onwards can still have BLB/cross hatching AFAIK though.

Associate
There's so much backlight bleed on these new IPS monitors from Dell and other companies, it's a joke. I just recently fired up my old LG TN that I bought years ago and the panel uniformity is near 100% and there is zero backlight bleed and zero AG glow.

The IPS panels are clearer and have better colour reproduction, but the technology is a backwards step in a lot of respects still.

Soldato
IPS technology isn't new my old NEC monitor uses IPS and thats from 2006.

Haven't checked my dell for for BLB yet but don't seem to have the cross hatch some have mentioned.

EDIT: Just checked it and there is a slight amount in the bottom L/H corner but I don't think its too bad. Any opinion from others?
BLBU2713.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom