Desktop 2.0 speakers?

pre

pre

Associate
Was looking at Q ACOUSTICS M20 but sadly too deep. The Ruark Audio MR1 MK2 look like a good alternative but seemed rather pricey compared to the M20s.

Also saw the Edifier S360DB which is a 2.1.

Any alternatives in the £250-350 price range for games and regular music?

Last edited:
Associate
Why not get a cheap class D amp and a set of bookshelves, much more versatile and probably works out cheaper. Fosi V3 is an insanely good value little amp, pair that with some speakers of your choice and a cheap DAC and you'd be sorted. It would prob sound a lot better than something like the Ruark, I had them before and was not impressed at all.

Associate
Thanks will review

If you were not impressed what was your reference point or what a passive speakers/DAC did you replace them with?

You're paying for the functionality and form factor, along with the DSP integration. They are fine if you play low volume, but they don't go very loud due to the limitations of the enclosure and drivers, and if you try to turn them up, the bass gets a bit muddy I guess due to the DSP trying to compensate? I've had quite a few since then, but at the time I replaced them with the KEF X300A, which are pretty good, if not a little bass light. I like to turn my speakers up from time to time, and the Ruarks, or even any other small enclosure speaker, struggle to do it well. I'm more than happy with my current system, especially after calibrating with a U-MIK 1.

I currently run a BT20A pro, M100 mkII DAC , with Acoustic Energy 301 (used) speakers mounted to the wall. Total cost under the price of the Ruarks, and way better.

Last edited:
Associate
Why not get a cheap class D amp and a set of bookshelves, much more versatile and probably works out cheaper. Fosi V3 is an insanely good value little amp, pair that with some speakers of your choice and a cheap DAC and you'd be sorted. It would prob sound a lot better than something like the Ruark, I had them before and was not impressed at all.

Bit of a push on the budget but I'm soon going to be picking up a Topping MX3s dac/amp (£220) and a pair of Jamo S801 speakers (£157) for my desktop soon. The MX3s is fairly new so unlikely to find one second hand.
The dac/amp includes bluetooth, a good headphone amp, bass/treble controls and a sub out in case I need to scratch an itch. Super versatile and (should be) good sounding setup for £380. It won't sound as good as the S360DB though. I'm choosing to take a knock for the sake of future versatility and a good headphone amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the mk1 Rauk but don't use them much anymore; mainly just use headphones now for work calls and gaming. As above they are small and safe sounding so rolled off treble, limited base depth and peak volume. Fine if you just want something that looks good for low volume use otherwise go for something else

Associate
Bit of a push on the budget but I'm soon going to be picking up a Topping MX3s dac/amp (£220) and a pair of Jamo S801 speakers (£157) for my desktop soon. The MX3s is fairly new so unlikely to find one second hand.
The dac/amp includes bluetooth, a good headphone amp, bass/treble controls and a sub out in case I need to scratch an itch. Super versatile and (should be) good sounding setup for £380. It won't sound as good as the S360DB though. I'm choosing to take a knock for the sake of future versatility and a good headphone amp.
If your idea of sounding better is full range, then yeah, they will, as they have a subwoofer includuded. I don't feel like that is entirely fair, however, as if you added a sub to the S801 and MX3S, it would be a lot better than the S360DB. Also, look into purchasing a U-MIK 1 to calibrate your speakers for your listening position, it makes MASSIVE difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a pair of Edifier R2000DB They are £250.
Really good pair of speakers. I'm very impressed with Edifier. They are superb value for money.
They are a very typical Edifier sound, but higher up on the quality of sound scale.
I'm not one for subwoofers. They never sound integrated, in my humble opinion.

Associate
I'm using a pair of Mackie CR3-XBT active monitors - excellent value for money, decent quality and power, and they're fairly compact. They are available for less than £80.

Back
Top Bottom