Poll: Do you buy games digitally or on disk?

How do you buy your games?

• Digitally

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Disc / Cart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Mostly digital but the odd disc

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Mostly disc but the odd digital

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
Associate
Console dependent for myself. Tend to purchase digital on my PS4 but do have a few discs too. The PS Plus catalogue and FIFA being on sale in the New Year are my typical downloads.

Purchase physical only on my Switch at the moment. I buy first party Nintendo games and they don't tend to be much cheaper digital at all and the physical games have a high resale value for a long time and some become rather collectable too.

Soldato
Digital all the way for me. Have been digital for a number of years now. It’s true there is definitely savings to be made by resale of physical but I’m not too bothered about chasing savings like that.

If I can’t afford it digital, I don’t buy it until I can, or it’s on sale.

Everything will be subscription model in a few years time anyway, so I think the days of physical even being a thing are numbered.

Soldato
Mostly digital, I don't often buy on release, and disc gets cheaper faster. Currently playing Ragnarok on disc. Any games I get from work are disc too so I have a big stack of ubi games. Reminds me I need to give away my current heap!

I tend to only play one game at a time, so disc swapping isn't an issue.

Man of Honour
Public service announcement for British English practitioners (basic/intermediate):

Seeing disk used for optical media is bigly painly, pls use the word disc.

Discs are cool in a collectible/retro sense but ultimately if everything else is equal (aka remove the cost savings/disc changing faff factors) then digital is clearly better. You're already installing to and then reading from internal anyway so at this point it's just physical DRM.

Last edited:
Don
I still buy games on disc - only having a ~24Mb internet connection, then anything I can do to cut down on downloading helps :D

Having said that - received SW Jedi: Survivor for Christmas - just as well I wasn't a Kid wanting to play it on Christmas Day

1703843426782.jpg

Sadly that's just installing it, as because the game doesn't actually fit on the disc, it downloads as it copies from the disc (and because it needs to copy bits from the disc, then it won't do the downloading in rest mode overnight!)

Associate
For me it depends on the game itself. If its a "must have" from soft title or its a game I'm highly anticipating then I buy it digital. If i spot a bargain used game on vinted or ebay then I will grab the disc copy.

Associate
D. 99% of the time on disc if possible, unless a game is particularly good I'm not going to play it twice so physical is worth it for resale

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I still buy games on disc - only having a ~24Mb internet connection, then anything I can do to cut down on downloading helps :D

Having said that - received SW Jedi: Survivor for Christmas - just as well I wasn't a Kid wanting to play it on Christmas Day

1703843426782.jpg

Sadly that's just installing it, as because the game doesn't actually fit on the disc, it downloads as it copies from the disc (and because it needs to copy bits from the disc, then it won't do the downloading in rest mode overnight!)
Why only 24mb internet? You mobile or something ?

So Jedi survivor is not on disk ?

You need the internet and servers to install it ?

There goes the argument about the digital games being pulled from servers etc.

As if that game goes…and you get a new system you can’t play it anyway even if you have the disk

Last edited:
Don
Why only 24mb internet? You mobile or something ?
Rural FTTC. Openreach FTTP not scheduled until 2025 at the earliest. Thankfully Quickline are currently installing their Fibre around here, so hopefully should be <3 months away from being able to take that.

So Jedi survivor is not on disk ?
The content is supposedly bigger than a single Bluray

You need the internet and servers to install it ?
Yes - there is a disclaimer on the back of the box

909903_back.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Rural FTTC. Openreach FTTP not scheduled until 2025 at the earliest. Thankfully Quickline are currently installing their Fibre around here, so hopefully should be <3 months away from being able to take that.

Fingers crossed for you :)
The content is supposedly bigger than a single Bluray

And new releases will only follow this trend. No longer is a disk a guarantee you can play it in the future. Not like a PS3 game for example
Yes - there is a disclaimer on the back of the box

909903_back.jpg
Cheers for the info

Last edited:
Soldato
Digital all the way for me. Have been digital for a number of years now. It’s true there is definitely savings to be made by resale of physical but I’m not too bothered about chasing savings like that.

If I can’t afford it digital, I don’t buy it until I can, or it’s on sale.

Everything will be subscription model in a few years time anyway, so I think the days of physical even being a thing are numbered.

Doesn't even need to be subscription, the matter of games having substantial patches after launch really messes with the value of having a hard copy.

Soldato
There goes the argument about the digital games being pulled from servers etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Ts and Cs for digital, are slightly different for physical (at the moment) - insomuch that with Digital, Sony reserve the right to pull the software; but if you have the disc, they have to serve the content as usual.... maybe it's some EU type law for consumers or something.

I doubt it would be perceivable - as I can still chuck an old PS4 title into my old Pro, and it will happily download the latest patch/data for it. So even if they were to stop you downloading anything, it'll probably be for something a couple of generations back; and I doubt anyone will be playing it.

Soldato
Doesn't even need to be subscription, the matter of games having substantial patches after launch really messes with the value of having a hard copy.
Tbh, that issue affects both digital and physical these days, some games simply get released is such a state, that they need to add GBs of data after the fact. Though, if you're lucky, you might get a day one digital that is already patched up - so save the hassle of downloading it on the day.

I don't think it messes with the value of having a hard copy - it's the sorry state of gaming, and something we are all getting/having to get used to. It sure sucks if you aren't on great BB, but you just have to deal with it however you can - like leaving it to download over night (as with large PS4 patches of old)

Caporegime
OP
Tbh, that issue affects both digital and physical these days, some games simply get released is such a state, that they need to add GBs of data after the fact. Though, if you're lucky, you might get a day one digital that is already patched up - so save the hassle of downloading it on the day.

I don't think it messes with the value of having a hard copy - it's the sorry state of gaming, and something we are all getting/having to get used to. It sure sucks if you aren't on great BB, but you just have to deal with it however you can - like leaving it to download over night (as with large PS4 patches of old)
I don’t know why Sony just don’t go to a purely subscription model….I hate subscriptions for PC software like plugins and DAW…but for Games just like Netflix a lower subscription price and have access to the whole catalogue would get millions signing up…

Back
Top Bottom