Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Soldato
Very good but not great. Everyone i know personally (including my wife) were unhappy with one thing, that the end battle was far too short. We wanted to see the worms wreck some ****!! But it was over all too quickly. nearly 5 hours of build up for what seemed like 5 mins?

But apart from that, it was great
I see what you mean but the real battle is to come, it's all still building. Maybe they'll have a bigger budget for no.3 also?

As above, I didn't feel short changed after the second watch. I did think the final hand to hand combat scene had an odd ending but in general I thought the hand to hand combat scenes (the 1 on 1s) in both films were really well done.

Last edited:
Soldato
I muse be the only one that finds the whole thing really.....meh? So much hoopla talking hocus pocus that doesn't actually lead to any narrative etc. I honestly think that entire part of them in the temple with the water of souls could have been removed and nothing would have changed the narrative etc
That's probably because it's based on a book.

The film doesn't do anything revolutionary (which is why I won't give it a 10/10) but what it does, it does really well. Especially at the IMAX.

I do think it would be even better if it was a TV series akin to GoT (bar the last couple of seasons, of course). It could be immense if done properly.

Associate
Although I really loved both films (and the book) I was left feeling that the ending was rushed and was simply an introduction to Dune 3. The book had much more of a finality to it even though you knew there was more to come.

I thought it felt even more unfinished than Part 1.

Caporegime
Would it make a good tv show? Not sure. It might be too slow? I haven't read the books.

I think it works quite well as a epic length trilogy.
Well actually I'm not keen on films closer to 3 hours than 2. It's a bit over my concentration/sitting/watching level.

But yeah I'm still giving this a 9.5/10 as its best film I've seen in recent past.

Soldato
Would it make a good tv show? Not sure. It might be too slow? I haven't read the books.
Considering how dense the books are, total of 6 (only went upto book 3 via audio book) I think TV series could have fleshed out a lot of the missing things in the movie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Turns out the colour thing isn’t an issue. Must just be misremembering from the cinema that first scene on Arrakis when they get attacked by the suited Harkonnen being very orange.

Changing the picture mode from ‘cinema home’ to ‘cinema’ does make the colours a bit more muted though.

Soldato
Loved the films so much that I have been reading the books, on the second one now, its amazing how much is different in the books to the film, but still think both are excellent and would recommend reading the books if you have time...

Stelly
Yes there was no way I was gonna take my time to read it so downloaded the audiobook. Did upto Messiah by listening to and from work.

Associate
Saw it last night - I've been a fan of the books for 30+ years and thought it unfilmable, but they did a cracking job tbf. After a slightly flabby middle bit though, the ending did feel rushed as most people seem to agree. The book is so dense they couldn't possibly have managed to fit everything in without making 3 days long but I think a bit more about the spacing guild and their influence over the throne would have added a bit more depth. I'm nitpicking though, it finally feels like we've a film(s) worthy of the book.

Soldato
OP
My feeling is Denis held back the Guild in part 2 to bring them forward more in Messiah in the absence of any antagonists from the first two parts (with the exception of Mohaim still representing the BG interests). I expect he’ll relegate the Tleilaxu to some degree since while they’re introduced in Messiah and are responsible for ‘the gift’, it’s the Guild that present Paul with it and it isn’t until Heretics and Chapterhouse that Frank really developed them properly. Denis has also shown that he’s quite willing to economise and only make nods to certain things or cut them completely if it doesn’t directly serve the Paul/Chani story focus.

Last edited:
Associate
My feeling is Denis held back the Guild in part 2 to bring them forward more in Messiah in the absence of any antagonists from the first two parts (with the exception of Mohaim still representing the BG interests). I expect he’ll relegate the Tleilaxu to some degree since while they’re introduced in Messiah and are responsible for ‘the gift’, it’s the Guild that present Paul with it and it isn’t until Heretics and Chapterhouse that Frank really developed them properly.

That's an interesting thought and makes sense. The films give no real sense of The Guild as yet.

Soldato
Chani was way too different than the book, she was really supportive in the book but here seems to be opposing. Also a lot of screen time for her. I wonder if this is because the actress is zendaya.

Soldato
Yes there was no way I was gonna take my time to read it so downloaded the audiobook. Did upto Messiah by listening to and from work.
How long are the audiobooks?

Edit - first book is 21hr, second is 9hr and the rest average around 15/16.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom