East Coast USA Honeymoon Oct-Nov

Man of Honour
I didn't like New Orleans, like Blackpool but warmer with less tattoos, but still tacky. Some great bars, some great places to eat, but lots of other places stateside I'd chose over it. Horses for courses.

Sounds like you didn't venture beyond Bourbon and Canal Street. There is so much more to the city which most tourists seem to miss. Probably because despite being a small city, most things are relatively spread out and you need a car to get round it all.

Anyway, it's not that relevant to the OP as its a 3hr flight away. :p

Man of Honour
Horses for courses indeed.

For me.... NOLA is among the oldest cities in the US and has the history to go with it. There's nothing like strolling the 'quarters' and peeking into the private gardens or having a drink in a bar that was originally built as a house for Napoleon. But, to be fair, that sort of thing is far more common in Europe.

Perhaps I should change that recommendation for my European friends.

Hmmm....

The modern history of the US is packed full of interesting stuff but for Europeans is often delivered with the wrong level of emphasis. All to often you get the "this house is nearly 150 years old" followed by the ooh's and aah's of the US tourists and indifference from Europeans. Im facinated in the maratime evolution of the US and find it interesting but i dont get excited about the same things as your average American. Doesnt make it any less interesting though, and ive been around the Naval history in Boston and Salem this month, all facinating to me.

Parts of my house date back to the early 1800's and i share a driveway with a church dating back to the 11th century so a 150 year old house is a new build to me :D

Man of Honour
Sounds like you didn't venture beyond Bourbon and Canal Street. There is so much more to the city which most tourists seem to miss. Probably because despite being a small city, most things are relatively spread out and you need a car to get round it all.

Anyway, it's not that relevant to the OP as its a 3hr flight away. :p

Actually i did and spent a day walking. I visited the WW2 museam which i enjoyed and walked around some of the period areas. Just didnt gel with the place i guess.

Associate
The modern history of the US is packed full of interesting stuff but for Europeans is often delivered with the wrong level of emphasis. All to often you get the "this house is nearly 150 years old" followed by the ooh's and aah's of the US tourists and indifference from Europeans. Im facinated in the maratime evolution of the US and find it interesting but i dont get excited about the same things as your average American. Doesnt make it any less interesting though, and ive been around the Naval history in Boston and Salem this month, all facinating to me.

Parts of my house date back to the early 1800's and i share a driveway with a church dating back to the 11th century so a 150 year old house is a new build to me :D

Oh, I agree that a lot of it could be ho-hum to Europeans. We simply don't have that degree of history here.

And FTR, if you're living in a house built in the 1800s over here, you're what we call 'poor white trash'. :D;)

Back
Top Bottom