Euthanasia need to be considered in UK?

Soldato
Because the last one went so well?
For things which are technically incredibly complex then we probably should not be voting on....... My opinion does not carry as much weight as a surgeon when it comes to surgery for instance so why should it in economical things............. HOWEVER I think referendums done well can work for certain topics and actually something like euthanasia it could be a good example but.......... a few things....

1) if it is a really close call then automatically i would say a change should not be made, but with a view to having another one in (for arguments sake) 5 years time

2) Any referendum should be clearly and in detail explained. People should know exactly what they are voting for, and for really complicated things, like for instance brexit, IF what is eventually agreed happens to be different to what was initially proposed then another vote should take place again. (in truth i do not think really complex things should be put to the masses but to experts in the field of the topic in question)

3) IF anyone is shown to be acting in bad faith aka lying to people it should be an offence with charges done too keep everyone involved honest***. Experts should monitor, not to give opinion but to make sure people who ARE trying to sell one side or another of the referendum are actually being genuine and not lying to make one side of the vote sound better than it ever possibly could be.

that would at least give half a chance of a referendum being done properly.

***not meaning to pick on brexit but its the only referendum i really followed but an example of the sort of lies which should never be made when organising a referendum.

We send the EU £350m a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead
The red bus!

“Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market”

Daniel Hannan, then Conservative MEP May 12, 2015

“The UK government will continue to give farmers and the environment as much support – or perhaps even more – as now”
Agriculture minister George Eustice’s speech at the launch of Farmers for Britain, March 23, 2016

“Cheaper food AFTER EU exit: Consumer boost as experts now say that prices will come DOWN”

Daily Express, October 18, 2016

Last edited:
Permabanned
New polling in The Guardian today confirms strong public support for changing the law.

Can this be balanced or confirmed by the results of a similar poll in a more Right leaning newspaper?

A poll in the Mail or Telegraph would probably garner the same scepticitism from your good self that I give one in the Guardian as indicative of the nation's feeling as a whole :)

Caporegime
Can this be balanced or confirmed by the results of a similar poll in a more Right leaning newspaper?

As @Freakbro points out, The Guardian isn't the source of the poll, IPSOS-Mori are and they're generally considered to be a highly reputable company. I'd trust proper polls with a good source regardless of where they are reported in. It's not like one of those silly "polls" that invite readers to click and give their opinion on some topic.

But speaking of those silly "polls", it's kind of striking that even in an anti-Euthanasia article published in the Mail, it's clicky "poll" still shows 51%-42% support for "doctor-assisted suicide".

Caporegime
It should be legal.

After spending a time in hospital and believing I may never leave I came to the decision that should I have the time and I'm physically able to that I would take my own life rather than spending my last days withering away in hospital.
Better than a DNR tag in a hospital, that's for sure.

Soldato
My grandmother is dying and been like this since Friday. She’s about 4 stone and care home staff, Dad and aunt are all surprised she survived that far.

She’s on a syringe driver dosing her up with morphine.

Just hope n pray for everyone that she slips away asap. I couldn’t go into work on Monday as I was so teary and and emotional mess. Needed time alone.

My managers accept that I am not to go on tills - including the kiosk. As the source of my panic attacks were there. When emotions are messed up last thing you need to do is be where the panic attacks happen.

Soldato
I hope Labour gets behind this. It should be a personal choice for that person, not anyone else's choice.
I agree in principle but with safeguards in place. call me a hypocrite but an otherwise healthy young person but suffering from depression I could never support assisted suicide.

also (and really the above would never happen so this is the main one) it would have to have been shown that even a poorly person with what others may call a poor quality of life are doing it for themselves.... not because they feel guilty about being a burden or because they are burning through an inheritance.

As I said, perhaps I am a hypocrite because I do believe it's our bodies our choice..... but only to a point. sometimes the state does need to protect us from ourselves (and our families)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
And then you've got the other side of the coin.
I've been working on a case where the parent is 98, no capacity, in a really bad way in ICU but one of the children want the patient keeping alive at all costs even with a DNAR in place.
It has now gone to Court and the Judge agrees with us, if this patient has a heart attack we are not to intervene.
This case has wasted 100s of man hours.

Soldato
And then you've got the other side of the coin.
I've been working on a case where the parent is 98, no capacity, in a really bad way in ICU but one of the children want the patient keeping alive at all costs even with a DNAR in place.
It has now gone to Court and the Judge agrees with us, if this patient has a heart attack we are not to intervene.
This case has wasted 100s of man hours.
Very selfish of the 'child'.

Associate
Very selfish of the 'child'.
Possibly not "selfish ", just afraid of losing them and want as much time as possible. I have been there when my dad was dying, luckily the family accepted his wish to die at home with no intervention apart from morphine when needed. Even then it wasn't easy.

Back
Top Bottom