Everton and zero money - Updated 17/11/23

Associate
And what of all the small clubs that have no choice BUT to overspend without having some dodgy money to cover it ? what do you suggest they do ? just give up.

It's something like 40 clubs in the last 20 years that have gone into receivership, largely chasing other clubs that get bankrolled by dodgy money or because the dodgy money dries up.

Out of the 40 or so clubs who have gone into administration in the past 20 years around half of them have done so after FFP was introduced which to me suggests that it's not done that much to help although im sure it's probably a bit more nuanced than that given COVID happened.

edit: 4 of them could be partially attributed to COVID due to admin occurring post Dec 2019

Last edited:
Associate
Out of the 40 or so clubs who have gone into administration in the past 20 years around half of them have done so after FFP was introduced which to me suggests that it's not done that much to help although im sure it's probably a bit more nuanced than that given COVID happened.
Yes, like I say, either chasing teams cooking their books or falling apart when some dodgy owner gets bored with cooking the books.

Finally, a big club gets a punishment, and to 90% of pro clubs Everton are one of the "big bads" that ruined football, and people are suggesting it's too harsh and to do away with the lax rules we do have.

Associate
I get they should be punished but ti always seems a bit counter productive to hit a team with money issues with something that is likely to give them even more money issues. Rugby is the same and look how that has turned out.

Don
When will people realise that the PL are going after City? The reason why Everton's case has been wrapped up fairly quickly is because it's a relatively straight forward matter and because it's just one charge. Not only is the City situation far more complex but there are also 115 charges to work through. The same process that's gone through for Everton's charge has to be gone through 115 times for City. It's going to take a long time to be resolved, not least because City are putting up legal challenges (and losing) at every step of the way.

Soldato
Must say, Everton weren't the first on my list to get punished.

If other bigger clubs don't get similar treatment then it'll definitely be a very fishy smell about it.

Burnley, Leicester and Leeds sound like their lawyers may be getting involved

Man of Honour
always seems a bit counter productive to hit a team with money issues with something that is likely to give them even more money issues
I disagree. It's not counter-productive, it's saying "spend beyond your means and get ****ed", which is exactly the message that needs to get out there.

The alternative is a message that says "break the rules and then we'll give you a handout so you can break the rules again, see you tomorrow at 07:30 for bacon butties, tee time is 08:00 sharp".

Caporegime
When will people realise that the PL are going after City? The reason why Everton's case has been wrapped up fairly quickly is because it's a relatively straight forward matter and because it's just one charge. Not only is the City situation far more complex but there are also 115 charges to work through. The same process that's gone through for Everton's charge has to be gone through 115 times for City. It's going to take a long time to be resolved, not least because City are putting up legal challenges (and losing) at every step of the way.

I hope so because then I can clear my name and Ole did really win the league. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
My point is if you break the FFP rules you should be relegated, or have points deducted that would put you in real jeopardy of being relegated, a 20 point deduction will not scare city or Chelsea

City for all their years of abuse should be relegated and banned from Europe for 3 years. That will hurt them, many of their best player will want out. They should pay a price that actually matters.

Soldato
Considering it’s taken years already when it’s been clear for even none accountants to work out they fudge the books it’s hardly a surprise people think City will some how get away with it

They got away with it before due to UEFA being incompetent.

City case is of course more complex however when it’s taken years to investigate and by that point should really have all the evidence it shouldn’t then take years to deal with on top of it which is what people are thinking it’s gonna take.

Points deduction for city won’t hurt them nor stripping titles.

PL should have city punishment done and dealt with by next season starting I think and it’s clear in Everton statement when they mention monitoring other cases they mean city and Chelsea

Don
Considering it’s taken years already when it’s been clear for even none accountants to work out they fudge the books it’s hardly a surprise people think City will some how get away with it

They got away with it before due to UEFA being incompetent.

City case is of course more complex however when it’s taken years to investigate and by that point should really have all the evidence it shouldn’t then take years to deal with on top of it which is what people are thinking it’s gonna take.

Points deduction for city won’t hurt them nor stripping titles.

PL should have city punishment done and dealt with by next season starting I think and it’s clear in Everton statement when they mention monitoring other cases they mean city and Chelsea
The PL have all the evidence however there are procedures and processes that have to be gone through (115 times) before the PL could charge City (which they have now done) and before a hearing can commence. You call UEFA incompetent but you want the PL to rush through the City case without acknowledging that by doing so they would provide City's legal team an open goal to get City off on a technicality because the correct process wasn't followed.

If you want City to be held accountable for their cheating then the PL have to go through all the correct steps and unfortunately that takes time when you're dealing with 115 separate charges and it takes more time when City are putting up challenges (as is their right) at every step of the way.

Back
Top Bottom