Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Commissario
For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

Today I looked and saw this.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

I don't know what to say, I really don't.

Soldato
For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

lmfao, ive been messing with my dns today and saw the image blur, thought my DNS was blocking it :cry:

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Any alt nets available?
I hope plusnet will be available as that’s who I’m with now.
I could actually get gigabit now from some dodgy firm who have put boxes on the telegraph poles but when I asked about cgnat he didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. A few minutes googling told me that yes, it would be cgnat and no options for a static IP. I declined.

Man of Honour
I could actually get gigabit now from some dodgy firm who have put boxes on the telegraph poles but when I asked about cgnat he didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. A few minutes googling told me that yes, it would be cgnat and no options for a static IP. I declined.
Check https://bidb.uk/ - which providers show up for your address?

Soldato

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

My area said planned by 2026 a few months back, until recently we now have full fibre from BT and various others that use the same infrastructure, EE, Talk Talk and the likes available, Im under VM contract still though.

Associate
One of my local altnet providers are really teasing with their FTTP rollout...
They were laying cables in most of the village in November, but then stopped part of the way up my housing estate... just a few steps from my house.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Plusnet uses Openreach's network too so it'll be the same timeline as BT.

What ISP is the dodgy firm? Some will offer static IP either on a higher tier package or business plans.

Soldato
Congrats
Me too hopefully :)
For the longest time they seemed to be
Ignoring me as our phone lines are underground
Yet 50 yards away has had fttp for 3 years now
But just before Xmas I found an openreach guy
Was on the premises doing a survey
So fingers crossed here
I am Also with plusnet

Commissario
OP
I'm pretty sure Plusnet uses Openreach's network too so it'll be the same timeline as BT.
Yup, that's what I'm hoping.

What ISP is the dodgy firm? Some will offer static IP either on a higher tier package or business plans.
Lightspeed. I've just looked back in my emails and it was a year ago they knocked on my door and the guy didn't have a clue.

Back then, their website said:

"Can I have a static IP address?

Not quite yet but we are working on this. We'll provide more information as soon as we can."

It still says the same.

Soldato
Still only option around here is VM, I would love to jump ship and find a new supplier.

The max BT can offer me is 50mb for £35.99 a month!

Last edited:
Soldato

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

Very jealous! I thought I would check mine once again but nothing has changed :(

tD0rbYo.jpg

Soldato
Why do they insist on capping the upload speeds so low compared to download? I know most people don't upload much, but the system is fully capable of doing symmetrical connections, unlikely older fibre broadband.

I've just recently got 900/900 connection with an alt net and it's amazing. Can't see myself ever needing more.

Associate
One of my local altnet providers are really teasing with their FTTP rollout...
They were laying cables in most of the village in November, but then stopped part of the way up my housing estate... just a few steps from my house.

Pay your neighbour for it and run an ethernet cable across the garden :)

Soldato
Why do they insist on capping the upload speeds so low compared to download? I know most people don't upload much, but the system is fully capable of doing symmetrical connections, unlikely older fibre broadband.

I've just recently got 900/900 connection with an alt net and it's amazing. Can't see myself ever needing more.
Even though the fibre itself can support more, the hardware OR is using is still based on GPON (2.5gb down/1.25 up), which is non-symmetric. Most altnets and I believe even VM's full fibre network use XGS-PON, which can do 10gb symmetrical. These are speeds per trunk, so it's not the overall possible speed each customer can get, but shared between a few addresses.

However even with GPON OR's upload speeds are still poor compared to what it's able to achieve. My best guess is OR is more focused on competing against VM's cable broadband instead, so they're "matching" that.

Back
Top Bottom