Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Man of Honour
We got so lucky our road was a test road for cityfibre many years ago, got that 1gb by 1gb and it absolutely flies! Totally worth the wait when it does come for you fellas!

Associate
Mine said 2025 last year.
All of a sudden new poles were installed and within 2 months it's was available. Stayed with Plusnet but switched over on a deal.
Can't argue with higher speed at a lower cost.

Looks like the local altnet will also be on place by the time the contract ends and they are providing 900/900 for £25

Soldato
Reminded me to check up on my local cabinet progress that got dug in last year. Can now get 900/200 as an alternative to VM. Cheaper? More like price matching but at least there's more options.

Commissario
OP
I just pulled into our road and there were three Openreach vans outside with them pulling cables through and up the nearest pole. I asked them if this was in prep for FTTP and they said yes, it should be available in about four months. All our phone cables are currently overhead and they said that the fibre will come in the same way. That makes sense, it saves them digging up the road.

Associate
I just pulled into our road and there were three Openreach vans outside with them pulling cables through and up the nearest pole. I asked them if this was in prep for FTTP and they said yes, it should be available in about four months. All our phone cables are currently overhead and they said that the fibre will come in the same way. That makes sense, it saves them digging up the road.

Well that's an improvement on December 2026! :cry:

Commissario
OP
Well that's an improvement on December 2026! :cry:
Aye, I said to them that's the date on the website, they laughed and said that's just a placeholder.

They also asked which was my house, I pointed it out and one of them said "Ahh yes, that's the one house we won't be able to supply". Obviously a line they've used many times before.

Oh we chuckled :D

Soldato
FTTP changed my life, instantly went from well below 1 mbps to well over 100 mbps lol

I am really out in the sticks but a new technology called fiber to the node ( if i remember correctly ) where there is a node fixed to lamp posts and then fiber is fed to homes from those nodes.

There is a spiders web of fiber here even though for decades we suffered some of the worse internet service in the UK.

Soldato
Aye, I said to them that's the date on the website, they laughed and said that's just a placeholder.

They also asked which was my house, I pointed it out and one of them said "Ahh yes, that's the one house we won't be able to supply". Obviously a line they've used many times before.

Oh we chuckled :D

I'd be getting a gut wrenching feeling if they said that in your situation!

When I was getting FTTP in the early days of it, the trouble and false hopes made me doubt it would ever happen. At least it's more of a thing nowadays compared to when I was trying to get it with BT (in 2013). Back then only a specific team knew and dealt with FTTP and if you got through to any other team they wouldn't know how to handle your question or screw up your order.

It's positive news but considering it's been going on for 10 years or more now, the country really should have better coverage than what we have.

Soldato
Got ours finally being installed on Wednesday, after months of palaver getting the cable runs in place. We have the hatch in our garden before it goes under the road, and there was a blockage so had to dig up a bit of our driveway to repair it.

Commissario
OP
They spent most of this morning working up the pole.

LinKhWj.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom