• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First Nvidia GT300 Fermi pic.

Soldato
Well nvidia has a massive amount of money to play with, hopefully amd can make enough to get their development in gear to prepare an appropriate response in the normal GPU cycle time.

Associate
This has me worried along with the whole anandtech article. Am I the only one reading at as though the although GT300 will be fast in games, that is not the main concern?

Yes? All NV are doing is opening up a lot more opportunities for there GPU's. Or CGPU's would be a more accurate term now.
The main thing will still be 3D games, which the vast majority of people will buy GT300 GPU's for. But i'm very excited about these CGPU's, more so then i have been with GPU's over the last few years, the GT300 is a real advancement and can enable some interesting stuff.

I can see the GT300 being launched for more money than a 5870 but only slightly faster in games.

That would leave it wide open for ATI to clean up the gaming market with the 5850x2 and 5870x2.

Theres absolutely no way the GT300 will be just slightly faster than a 5870 from them specs and transistor count.

But i expect ATI to just hold the performance crown over a GT300 with the 5870X2 untill there is a dual GPU GT300 card which will very likely take it with ease.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I don't give a toss about GPU computing, all I care about is fast high resolution eye candy. Which ever card, AMD or nVidia, is faster at the right price I will buy simples :)

Caporegime
Yes? All NV are doing is opening up a lot more opportunities for there GPU's. Or CGPU's would be a more accurate term now.
The main thing will still be 3D games, which the vast majority of people will buy GT300 GPU's for.

Theres absolutely no way the GT300 will be just slightly faster than a 5870 from them specs and transistor count.

But i expect ATI to just hold the performance crown over a GT300 with the 5870X2 untill there is a dual GPU GT300 card which will very likely take it with ease.

Their press release suggests otherwise with no or hardly any mention of games/game performance. It was only when directly asked did one of them state that it will be faster than a 5870.

Most of the spec gains are not designed for gaming performance though, they are there for the other HPC features they have brought to the card. Have you actually read all the press releases and write ups? Nvidia practiculary could have said that they were pulling out of the gaming market.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a fast gaming card but people who expect 50%+ performance over a 5870 are going to be disappointed I feel. Just my take on what i've read.

Soldato
Maybe we'll see different versions like microsoft has done with O/S'es, with parts for workstations or whatever disabled on the components aimed at gamers.

That would certainly be an interesting way of doing things. I just want to know how good it's going to be good for gaming! And sadly, we have to sit and wait to find that one out.

Associate
tbh i see there parts scaling the same as last gen cards, where the high end gt300 will be fastest single card, but slower than the x2 - like the 285 is now. Doubtful it will equal a 5870x2.

Soldato
Their press release suggests otherwise with no or hardly any mention of games/game performance. It was only when directly asked did one of them state that it will be faster than a 5870.

Most of the spec gains are not designed for gaming performance though, they are there for the other HPC features they have brought to the card. Have you actually read all the press releases and write ups? Nvidia practiculary could have said that they were pulling out of the gaming market.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a fast gaming card but people who expect 50%+ performance over a 5870 are going to be disappointed I feel. Just my take on what i've read.

I get this feeling, too. Huge double precision numbers, for example, mean very little in terms of contemporary vertex and pixel shaders which are all done in single precision (at least until Shader Model 5). Also I'm pretty sure it'd be difficult to run different shaders in parallel, as in a lot of situations to get the effects accurate, they have to be executed in sequence (for example, if you were to make a reflection effect run before another effect, say, a parallax map for example, the reflection would not display the other effect). However I guess there'll be some gains wherein say, accelerated physics would be able to run partially in parallel with HLSL, which wouldn't work on the previous generation of hardware.

Do correct me if I have any misconception about this, though.

Associate
It's hard to say too much at the moment as for the features (GPGPU stuff) it's an interesting development in the world of computing but it doesn't concern me as I just us the GPU for gaming

I would say it will be more powerful than a 5870 but it's to be expected considering its launching 2010, it will be more pricey though and equaling a 5870x2 in performance and trying to be competitive price wise is extremely unlikely

Soldato
The card shown off today is a Tesla card not a Geforce so I wouldn't get to excited, also this card runs of a 1x 8pin and 1x 6pin so we can already see the G300 core is going to require a lot of juice in order to run it.

As for the card shown of by the CEO of Nvidia I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a PCB with a cooler bottled on given Nvidia's moral fibre of late.

Soldato
I'm a little suspicions of the card they've displayed, could be a mock up. There are componets on the edge at the rear, almost like the board has been cut. Solder pads look wrong with the two pci-e connectors and no main components visible. 6 + 8 pin puts it over 200W and that's the Tesla unit which has lower clocks iirc.

001238704.jpg

fermigraka2.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
nice pics.
That card is a beast. Although it looks far from finished. Its clear that they havent even got it running anything atm otherwise it would have been on show. Lambree is going to give this baby a run for its money.

Cant wait to get one of these anyway! I will be able to convert a Avi movie into MPEG up to in 3 minutes instead of 6min. Badaboom!

Back
Top Bottom