First time on Motorway after passing driving test any tips ?

Caporegime
Why do people change their speed all the time? Last week I was overtaking a row of cars in the middle lane and had a Prius on the outside lane going slower than me indicating to pull in when he was level with me - I put my foot down to let him merge behind me. 5 miles later he bombs past me at about 90 when I've kept the same speed :confused:

Soldato
I most definitely do not, I usually stay in lane 2 or 3, but I'll move over to 1 if there's nothing going slower than me in there (i.e I'm not overtaking anything) AND someone is coming up behind me.

I only ever go in to lane 1 if there is a mahoosive gap, which is pretty darn rare.

You have just defined yourself as an MLM, or Middle Lane Moron, the scourge of motorways on the UK. Try doing this on the continent and you will get a very big shock.

Soldato
Why do people change their speed all the time? Last week I was overtaking a row of cars in the middle lane and had a Prius on the outside lane going slower than me indicating to pull in when he was level with me - I put my foot down to let him merge behind me. 5 miles later he bombs past me at about 90 when I've kept the same speed :confused:

I try to keep a constant speed of 70-80mph, but if I see a bottleneck up ahead, for example: one big lorry overtaking another big lorry (for love of god why... :o) then I move to the outside lane well in advance to get past and if need be adjust my speed. :D

Soldato
I'm finding it really hard to stay awake on my Hull-Rugby trips with these dark afternoons, I have to go 70+ with the window open just to stay awake, which is annoying as I usually stick to 60 to save fuel.

Caporegime
one big lorry overtaking another big lorry (for love of god why... :o)

Like it or not, they have every right to do just that, i.e. overtake each other.

The vehicle being overtaken should lift off a tad to help the other pass - I do this all the time - many do not unfortunately.

As I say though, they do it because they can, have tight delivery schedules etc etc etc

If sitting behind a truck ruins your journey time, then leave 10 minutes earlier and expect the expected & deal with it.

Trucks can't use lane #3 so you always have that option.

OP, avoid said trucks. ;)

Soldato
Like it or not, they have every right to do just that, i.e. overtake each other.

The vehicle being overtaken should lift off a tad to help the other pass - I do this all the time - many do not unfortunately.

As I say though, they do it because they can, have tight delivery schedules etc etc etc

If sitting behind a truck ruins your journey time, then leave 10 minutes earlier and expect the expected & deal with it.

Trucks can't use lane #3 so you always have that option.

OP, avoid said trucks. ;)

I would say its the people in the 3rd lane that slow right down some some reason when overtaking 2 lorries in the other lanes that are at fault.

Soldato
You have just defined yourself as an MLM, or Middle Lane Moron, the scourge of motorways on the UK. Try doing this on the continent and you will get a very big shock.

And the answer is probably not, pretty much
every time I drive on a motorway there is a
reasonably steady procession of slower
vehicles in lane 1, if I was to move over every
time a car appeared behind me I would have
to slow down and then accelerate back up to
speed, so I don't move over. As stated
however if lane 1 is clear and I see someone
coming up behind me I'll move over.

I should also point out that I'll generally be doing the speed limitish, so no, I'm not going to pull in behind slower moving traffic and inconvenience myself so some knob-hole can massively break the speed limit.

Soldato
You find those drivers in the first lane an irritation, right? That's how we feel about you in the second lane.

You may well, but I couldn't give a flying **** about you, and no, I don't mind lorrys and slower drivers using lane 1, that's what it's there for. And I'll move over into lane 1 if it doesn't inconvenience me, otherwise you can just move into lane 3 and use it as intended.

Associate
You may well, but I couldn't give a flying **** about you, and no, I don't mind lorrys and slower drivers using lane 1, that's what it's there for. And I'll move over into lane 1 if it doesn't inconvenience me, otherwise you can just move into lane 3 and use it as intended.

But lane 3 is only intended to be used by somebody who is overtaking a vehicle which is already in the process of overtaking another vehicle in lane 1.

Soldato
You are causing people who are overtaking you at 5 MPH more to block the entire motorway, which is quite retarded, reducing traffic flow and increasing journey times. Why can't you just follow the rules and let other people get on with their lives?

Soldato
Quite agree with you there, the elephant racing gets tiresome, even for us elephants!

Does anyone know what the deal is, when I see a small truck, for example those tesco home delivery trucks in the third lane when two lorries are in the other lanes. I thought trucks/vans over a certain weight etc couldn't use the third lane? That really grinds my gears because it means, truck in lane 1 doing 56mph, truck in lane two doing 62 and then we get a delivery truck in lane 3 doing maybe 65. :mad: :eek: :o

Associate
Does anyone know what the deal is, when I see a small truck, for example those tesco home delivery trucks in the third lane when two lorries are in the other lanes. I thought trucks/vans over a certain weight etc couldn't use the third lane? That really grinds my gears because it means, truck in lane 1 doing 56mph, truck in lane two doing 62 and then we get a delivery truck in lane 3 doing maybe 65. :mad: :eek: :o

Goods vehicles over 7.5tonnes cannot use the outside lane and vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5tonnes that are required to have a speed limiter fitted cannot use it either. So if the vehicle is 7.5tonnes or less and does not require a speed limiter it can use the outside lane at the full speed limit of 70.

Associate

It's a Prius thing :/

Caporegime

All HGV's in the UK are limited to a maximum of 56MPH by law, the limit for them on motorways is still 60MPH, the discrepancy is to allow for overspeeding going downhill etc.

Goods vehicles over 7.5tonnes cannot use the outside lane and vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5tonnes that are required to have a speed limiter fitted cannot use it either. So if the vehicle is 7.5tonnes or less and does not require a speed limiter it can use the outside lane at the full speed limit of 70.

Afaik, any 7.5 tonner regardless of limiter cannot use lane 3

Sadly, many 7.5t drivers don't hold any kind of HGV licence (due to Grandfather rights) and are simply clueless to this & use lane 3 regardless.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are causing people who are overtaking you at 5 MPH more to block the entire motorway, which is quite retarded, reducing traffic flow and increasing journey times. Why can't you just follow the rules and let other people get on with their lives?

The rules don't say 'move over for sexually confused bmw driver at all costs', if I'm not overtaking vehicles in lane 1, then I move over, otherwise you can jog on.

Now, feel free to reply to this message, but you've so far failed to convince me that you're not wrong, so it's probably best that you just get on with your life.

Soldato
The rules don't say 'move over for sexually confused bmw driver at all costs', if I'm not overtaking vehicles in lane 1, then I move over, otherwise you can jog on.

Now, feel free to reply to this message, but you've so far failed to convince me that you're not wrong, so it's probably best that you just get on with your life.
It's not a problem for me - I will just go past people dawdling around and not moving over when they are supposed to, whether they like it or not. You're just making other people's live that little bit more annoying.

Oh, and good work on the 'sexually frustrated' comment; it adds such a significant weight to your argument.

Back
Top Bottom