First time on Motorway after passing driving test any tips ?

Soldato
I wasn't going to bother with this thread, but where does it say in the highway code that a vehicle travelling at the speed limited in lane 2 must slow down and enter the traffic stream of lane 1 if a vehicle exceeding the speed limit approaches?

I understand peoples frustration with people hogging lane 2 when lane 1 is clear, and as I've said many times, if it doesn't cause me to slow down, I'll move into lane 1, otherwise you can move into lane 3. What do you suppose the third lane is for? Why shouldn't you move into lane 3?

Soldato
You are causing people who are overtaking you at 5 MPH more to block the entire motorway, which is quite retarded, reducing traffic flow and increasing journey times. Why can't you just follow the rules and let other people get on with their lives?

Why can't everyone just follow the rules and not exceed the LEGAL speed limit of 70mph? Then there wouldn't be quite so much aggro.

I know, I know... :p

Soldato
and as I've said many times, if it doesn't cause me to slow down, I'll move into lane 1, otherwise you can move into lane 3. What do you suppose the third lane is for? Why shouldn't you move into lane 3?
I only ever go in to lane 1 if there is a mahoosive gap, which is pretty darn rare.
Waiting for a 'mahoosive' gap is not the same as 'making you slow down'. You either do one or the other. One is quite reasonable (not moving over if you have to slow down significantly), the other not so reasonable. Which is it?
Why can't everyone just follow the rules and not exceed the LEGAL speed limit of 70mph? Then there wouldn't be quite so much aggro.

I know, I know... :p
The difference is me breaking the 70 MPH rule doesn't cause anyone any aggravation!

Soldato
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

Highway Code said:
move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
'As soon as you can' is the rule i.e. don't carry on in that lane because 500 yards away is another vehicle, move over once you have passed and are some car lengths ahead.

Soldato
Waiting for a 'mahoosive' gap is not the same as 'making you slow down'.

By 'mahoosive' I mean a gap that means I don't have to ease off for someone to go past, usually a pretty big gap if they decide to use minimal accelerator to get past.

The difference is me breaking the 70 MPH rule doesn't cause anyone any aggravation!

It causes people aggravation if you hang off their rear bumper and then undertake them!

Can I...go now?

Soldato
By 'mahoosive' I mean a gap that means I don't have to ease off for someone to go past, usually a pretty big gap if they decide to use minimal accelerator to get past.
The trouble is, that's a pretty vague rule, too. Do you mean ease off a few MPH, or 15 MPH? I often find people technically overtaking, but at a 1-2 MPH differential, when traffic would otherwise be going 25 MPH more.

Caporegime
I just merrily undertake all the middle lane retards, usually slowing enough alongside them to give them a good stinkeye, then carry on my way. I'm sure it achieves little, but I can't help myself.

If I'm feeling charitable I pull out into lame three and cut back into lane one just in front of the said retard to make my point.

I'll also flash all the fog light gimps.

God knows why I bother, life is too short.

Soldato
With regards to the lorries overtaking lorries thing, I'm aware that they're not allowed to use the 3rd lane so that's fine.

However, what about those motorways that are two lanes? For example there's roughly a 15 mile stretch on the M3 between Basingstoke and Winchester that's only two lanes.

One night I was travelling back up to Basingstoke and it was almost 1am and, no exaggeration, I was stuck behind these two lorries for a good 3 or 4 minutes as the **** in the left just wouldn't ease off. So is it just the 3rd lane that they're not allowed to use, where there is one, or would the 2nd lane apply in this scenario? Similarly, I've seen 3 lorries using up 3 of the 4 lanes on the M25 at night before. I presume this is ok and it's just the furthest right lane that they're not allowed to use?

Soldato
It causes people aggravation if you hang off their rear bumper and then undertake them!

Can I...go now?

If someone can undertake you, you were in the wrong to start with, so don't drive like a muppet and people won't be able to undertake you anyway.

Caporegime
It so annoys me when people in the middle or right hand lane are literally cruising at the pace of the car to the left of them.

I'll always make sure to blast them with my ultra pro sard r2d2 dump valve after I have harranged them enough to move over or being forced to undertake them myself.

Caporegime
This thread is a little disturbing in that you would expect someone who passed a test should know it.

I've had to undertake before, when some idiot is sitting in outsidelane of dual ccarriageway, always do it quick!

Soldato
The undertaking bit was more in reference to one of keates posts, it's very rare there's a gap someone not in an f1 car could utilise.

Berger, don't be a dong, the traffic in lane one is usually travelling at less that 60mph, I'm not going to slow down from my 70+ speeds to let someone doing 80+ past when they can just use the 3rd lane. And as stated, if there's a big enough gap I'll move over.

I know it's motors policy to be holier than thou and vilify (spelling) people who you can tenuously link to some bogey monster terrible driver cliché, allowing yourself to come across as some alpha male, perfect driving machine, but in this case I think a lot of you need to actually read what I'm writing. I'll give a blow by blow below -

In my experience on the motorway lane 1 has a pretty steady stream of vehicles doing 60ish or less. I therefore use lane 2, doing my speed of 70ish+, if I encounter a slower vehicle in lane 2, I will overtake it and return to lane 2. If a vehicle approaches from the rear AND there is enough room in lane 1 for me to enter it and get back into lane 2 without losing speed by the time the vehicle has gone past, I will enter lane 1, if there isn't I will maintain heading and speed and let them pass via lane 3. If no vehicle is behind me I will stay in lane 2 (unless there is a mahoosive gap (keates, I confused myself here, that's the mahoosive gap I was talking about)).

There is no problem with the above, I can't be expected the spend most of my time doing 60mph just because people want to do 80 in lane 2.

Back
Top Bottom