First Water Project: The Mad Titan

Associate
OP
Am I right in thinking that the Aquaero 6 XT can control all my fans (with splitters into three groups, giving 3 x 4pin PWM connectors back to the XT), 2 x flow sensors, 2 x water temp sensors and both of my EK D5 G2 pumps?

Cheers
Ben

Soldato
Yeah, you are correct on that one. The software is a bit of a pain to get used too but it's alright when you figure it out.

Going to keep an eye on this, not a fan of the case but when it needs to be that big, it's going to be worth watching!

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the Aquaero 6 XT can control all my fans (with splitters into three groups, giving 3 x 4pin PWM connectors back to the XT), 2 x flow sensors, 2 x water temp sensors and both of my EK D5 G2 pumps?

Maybe. There are four 4-pin fan headers capable of either PWM or voltage control (3-pin fans). With the correct splitters you're fine there. Most splitters have the tacho wire connected to all fans so the reading is garbage. You need to pick one fan in the group and have the tacho wire connected only to that one.

Water temp sensors: no problem. There are 8 temp sensor headers. You can connect inline water temp sensors or tape the sensors (4 supplied with Aquaero) to things you want to monitor. I have one taped to my pump heatsink to keep an eye on it and one on each of my toasty M.2 SSDs. The stuff you want to tape it down is Kapton tape (or a cheap foreign knock-off).

Flow sensors: depends how they connect. There is a header labelled "Flow" on the Aquaero. This takes a connection to the Hi Flow sensor. The square block style one without USB that's about £30 on OCUK. Be aware that it requires a separate cable (helpfully not supplied) to plug it in. It looks like a fan plug but the pins are much bigger.
For a second flow sensor (which will read the same unless you have dual loop or a parallel flow section ) you can either use one that connects by Aquabus or USB. You could add a PowerAdjust Standard which has a flow header on it and a 3-pin volt controlled fan header.

Pumps: you can definitely run them off the Aquaero but there are considerations here. If they are 3-pin you can run one off each of two fan headers. You might be able to run both off one but you need to be careful you aren't overloading the header which has a 30W max. You'd probably need either a cable convertor (there's a DDC cable available) to change the mole and fan connector into just a fan connector. That or crimp some fan pins on the end instead (and braid it :D ).

If they are PWM it has been reported that the D5s don't implement it correctly and need a mod before they work. The Aqua Computer ones are apparently pre-modded.
If you want to run both of one header it should be fine as it doesn't pull the power from the Aquaero (unless you mod the wiring so that all four pins go into the fan header) but you'd only be able to monitor the speed of one pump - same as the fans.
You might be best to add a PowerAdjust (standard only as the Aquaero will be in charge) and link it to the Aquaero with an Aquabus cable. Then you get a second flow sensor header and a fan header. That gives you enough for a header for each of the pump's and the 3 fan groups - although one of the would be volage control only.

Lots of info in the last few pages of the Aquaero thread on here too. Worth a read.

Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
Maybe. There are four 4-pin fan headers capable of either PWM or voltage control (3-pin fans). With the correct splitters you're fine there. Most splitters have the tacho wire connected to all fans so the reading is garbage. You need to pick one fan in the group and have the tacho wire connected only to that one.

Water temp sensors: no problem. There are 8 temp sensor headers. You can connect inline water temp sensors or tape the sensors (4 supplied with Aquaero) to things you want to monitor. I have one taped to my pump heatsink to keep an eye on it and one on each of my toasty M.2 SSDs. The stuff you want to tape it down is Kapton tape (or a cheap foreign knock-off).

Flow sensors: depends how they connect. There is a header labelled "Flow" on the Aquaero. This takes a connection to the Hi Flow sensor. The square block style one without USB that's about £30 on OCUK. Be aware that it requires a separate cable (helpfully not supplied) to plug it in. It looks like a fan plug but the pins are much bigger.
For a second flow sensor (which will read the same unless you have dual loop or a parallel flow section ) you can either use one that connects by Aquabus or USB. You could add a PowerAdjust Standard which has a flow header on it and a 3-pin volt controlled fan header.

Pumps: you can definitely run them off the Aquaero but there are considerations here. If they are 3-pin you can run one off each of two fan headers. You might be able to run both off one but you need to be careful you aren't overloading the header which has a 30W max. You'd probably need either a cable convertor (there's a DDC cable available) to change the mole and fan connector into just a fan connector. That or crimp some fan pins on the end instead (and braid it :D ).

If they are PWM it has been reported that the D5s don't implement it correctly and need a mod before they work. The Aqua Computer ones are apparently pre-modded.
If you want to run both of one header it should be fine as it doesn't pull the power from the Aquaero (unless you mod the wiring so that all four pins go into the fan header) but you'd only be able to monitor the speed of one pump - same as the fans.
You might be best to add a PowerAdjust (standard only as the Aquaero will be in charge) and link it to the Aquaero with an Aquabus cable. Then you get a second flow sensor header and a fan header. That gives you enough for a header for each of the pump's and the 3 fan groups - although one of the would be volage control only.

Lots of info in the last few pages of the Aquaero thread on here too. Worth a read.

Hope that helps.

It does! Cheers! I will definitely invest in the PowerAdjust, it will make things more simple for the flow sensors in both loops.
I have started to read the Aquaero owners thread, some good stuff that saves me from a few pitfalls, thank you!

Cheers
Ben

Soldato
No problem. For reference:

Flow sensor for 'flow' header
Cable for above
Flow sensor that will connect by Aquabus.

There are also a range of "Flow sensor MPS" - the 100, 200 and 400. They're priced between the two flow sensors above and connect by Aquabus. There are pros and cons to them. The pro is that because they work using differential pressure, they are silent. The downside is that to get an accurate result, you must have a straight connection in and out - not a right angle or 45°.

Silent? The flow sensors I listed above work by counting the revolutions of an impellor mounted in the sensor. There is a slight tick as it spins which is louder as it gets faster. Depends how noise-sensitive you are and how quiet everything else is as to whether you'd be able to hear it. Having it mounted flat reduces the noise too so plan to have it flat if possible.

Associate
If I recall correctly, atm you won't be able to run more than 2 GTX 1080s due to the new sli bridge only support 2 cards. I am sure in the future they will release 3-4 way sli but I don't know when.
For the build, first watercooling and caselabs. We have something in common. Good luck!

Associate
OP
No problem. For reference:

Flow sensor for 'flow' header
Cable for above
Flow sensor that will connect by Aquabus.

There are also a range of "Flow sensor MPS" - the 100, 200 and 400. They're priced between the two flow sensors above and connect by Aquabus. There are pros and cons to them. The pro is that because they work using differential pressure, they are silent. The downside is that to get an accurate result, you must have a straight connection in and out - not a right angle or 45°.

Silent? The flow sensors I listed above work by counting the revolutions of an impellor mounted in the sensor. There is a slight tick as it spins which is louder as it gets faster. Depends how noise-sensitive you are and how quiet everything else is as to whether you'd be able to hear it. Having it mounted flat reduces the noise too so plan to have it flat if possible.

Thanks Cenedd, I will give that a look and once I come to put the Aquaero/sensors/fans ETC all together I will no doubt need to pick your brains!

Cheers mate
Ben

Associate
OP
If I recall correctly, atm you won't be able to run more than 2 GTX 1080s due to the new sli bridge only support 2 cards. I am sure in the future they will release 3-4 way sli but I don't know when.
For the build, first watercooling and caselabs. We have something in common. Good luck!

This is my understanding also, I am just hoping that I can at least push a three way build, but as you say, time will tell...

What Caselabs unit did you get? They are something else, definitely worth the money imo.

Thanks for the luck I'm sure I will need it! :)

Cheers
Ben

Associate
This is my understanding also, I am just hoping that I can at least push a three way build, but as you say, time will tell...

What Caselabs unit did you get? They are something else, definitely worth the money imo.

Thanks for the luck I'm sure I will need it! :)

Cheers
Ben
I got the SM8 black and white :D
I hensitated for like half a year and then finally pulled the trigger. Took me another 2 months for it to arrive. But in the end, everything was worth it. Caselabs is definitely the best highend case for watermelon.

My first build with water:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18660015

Associate
OP
that's a bit overkill I think :eek: but hey I'm not complaining just jealous :p

Ok, here is my logic.... I am looking to quad SLI the 1080Xx (whatever that is) and I'm not sure on power draw, so I based the power consumption on the Titan X, and with everything else added on it came to a few Watts short of 1500. I thought that a 1600W PSU wouldn't give me much overhead, and would already be fairly stretched, and as the cost was nearly £300 for a decent one of those, I figured the sensible choice would be the Super Flower 2KW PSU.

Cheers!

Ben

Associate
OP
Well, it looks like there will be 2 x 1080's in this version of the build. Shame. Now i definitely don't need 2KW! Ah well! At least I now have headroom should 4 cards be a possibility in the near future.

Cheers
Ben

Back
Top Bottom