• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From a i5 2500k to a i7 6700k: my impressions

Soldato
I tested a 2550K at stock (with intel turbo boost) and 4.6Ghz in Witcher 3 and GTA V. GPU was a GTX Titan and 16GB 1600Mhz memory. Witcher 3 saw about an 8% gain in Novigrad (the most CPU demanding area) and in the GTA V benchmark the difference was negligible. I don't really know what to think of these results.

Associate
OP
I tested a 2550K at stock (with intel turbo boost) and 4.6Ghz in Witcher 3 and GTA V. GPU was a GTX Titan and 16GB 1600Mhz memory. Witcher 3 saw about an 8% gain in Novigrad (the most CPU demanding area) and in the GTA V benchmark the difference was negligible. I don't really know what to think of these results.

Looks like the CPU doesn't really matter on these.

The only games that were going below 60 fps (and sometimes well below, around 30-40fps) were the Assassin Creeds: Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate. I get it's the number of polygons on screen. The boost with skylake was jaw dropping.
(again, my i5 2500K was NOT overclocked for the reasons explained above)

Soldato
The 2500k is still a great chip, but mainly due to its excellent overclock ability. I went to a 3770k and tbh I've not noticed any real difference with the extra threads. Maybe the extra ipc of skyline would help more than the hyperthreading

Soldato
this thread isn't really saying anything - of course a cpu at 4.2ghz feels faster than a cpu at 3.7ghz.

Sigh, someone is missing the point.

The 2500k is considered a very capable chip, so much so that MANY people would say not to bother upgrading for gaming. NOBODY is disputing the fact the newer i7 is faster than the older i5, but that's not the point of the thread is it?

The point of the thread is that the OP has seen a very tangible benefit upgrading from a chip many would say not to bother with.

Associate
one thing that might sway people is the resale value of their old CPU's

Im looking at going to the 6700k from the 2700k (only because my mobo is dieing - 3 dead usb ports and counting!) and i can resell my 2700k for about £120!

which drastically reduces the price paid for the 6700k!

Associate
Sigh, someone is missing the point.

The 2500k is considered a very capable chip, so much so that MANY people would say not to bother upgrading for gaming. NOBODY is disputing the fact the newer i7 is faster than the older i5, but that's not the point of the thread is it?

The point of the thread is that the OP has seen a very tangible benefit upgrading from a chip many would say not to bother with.

Every 'should I upgrade a 2500k' thread involving one at stock gets the advice to overclock it properly. Having done this first the majority of the difference would have gone away, which is why the advice is normally not to bother. Not saying a 2500k is faster than a 6700k or anything of course, but as the 2500k clocks so well the difference is minimal.

The OPs experience doesn't refute that at all. Also we've no idea what driver changes & game patches there have been in the meantime, as the scene he called out initially ran horribly on all systems and was then patched causing a significant performance difference. I'm very happy his experience has been good, and it's nice to hear about - but we can't conclude that therefor the 2500k isn't capable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
well thats the thing.in some games it is a big difference whether the i2500k is ocerclocked or not.

now if its games/game you play daily or a lot if it is a big different it can be worth it.

in some instances it can be like 20/30 fps difference.that alone is a top end gpu difference.then work that out.

what gpu would give you that boost from your current card ? that alone makes it worth it.

not only that so many benchmarks don't show minimums.so very important.

i5 2500k could have avg fps very similar yet minimums a lot lower. as above play a game you play regular with better minimums can transform the game.

Associate
I upgraded from a 2500k at 4.4GHz to a 6700K running at 4.7GHz 6 months ago.

I was not planning on upgrading but a friend offered me £220 for my old 2500k, motherboard and 16GB ram. Plus I got my 6700K for £275 and I got a free £70 cooler with my motherboard, so I jumped at the chance. But I would not of upgraded if I was going to get a 6600k, I think that would have been pointless.

But after having the 2500k for over 4 years, I had the upgrade itch to :D

Associate
well thats the thing.in some games it is a big difference whether the i2500k is ocerclocked or not.

now if its games/game you play daily or a lot if it is a big different it can be worth it.

in some instances it can be like 20/30 fps difference.that alone is a top end gpu difference.then work that out.

what gpu would give you that boost from your current card ? that alone makes it worth it.

not only that so many benchmarks don't show minimums.so very important.

i5 2500k could have avg fps very similar yet minimums a lot lower. as above play a game you play regular with better minimums can transform the game.

Quite possibly true, though plenty reviews look at minimums so links to those would be relevant. That doesn't describe the situation here hence my urging caution in drawing conclusions.

Again, it's great the OP saw a big jump and that's a huge win for his gameplay experience but in no way can his experience be used as proof that a 2500k is not capable of running the latest games.

Caporegime
How much difference would I see going to say a stock i7 6700k or i7 5820k from an i5 750 @ 4GHz? :D Going to be upgrading to either setup at some point this year anyway but only when I see some good/sensible deals/pricing...

My GPU is 290 an res. 2560x1080 although sometime this year, it will either be 2560x1440 or 3440x1440...

Caporegime
Yeah hopefully so, saying that the only game I have played so far where my CPU usage is extremely high with GPU usage below 95% is ROTTR, most games use between 70-80% CPU usage with 99% GPU usage.

I really hope we see some good deals soon though as I don't think either setup is worth the £400+ outlay....

Associate
Agrr every time I read a thread like this I wonder whether I should make the jump.

Currently running an i7 3770 (none K variant) with 16GB ram and a GTX 980ti and do experience some stutter in some games, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider as a couple of recent examples and I keep wondering whether an upgrade to a Skylake i7 k processor or even x99 would see any benefit (?)

Kinda thread hijacking here as didnt want to create another thread about upgrading :D

Back
Top Bottom