Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Soldato
New to this - got my Fiio K11 & Sennheiser HD 560S last night and did a few games of Tarkov. Night and day difference when compared to what I was using previous.

Just to check settings (cos these are my 1st headphone/DAC combo) do you run Med gain on this with a higher volume or should I go to high gain and drop the volume a bit?
If it gets loud enough at medium gain, I would tend to leave it on that.

Associate
New to this - got my Fiio K11 & Sennheiser HD 560S last night and did a few games of Tarkov. Night and day difference when compared to what I was using previous.

Just to check settings (cos these are my 1st headphone/DAC combo) do you run Med gain on this with a higher volume or should I go to high gain and drop the volume a bit?

Personally I've been running the K11 at low gain for my current headphones. I tend to run it between 20-50 vol depending on headphone and use. Although the HD 560S are quite easy to drive so sound fine to me on low gain but I certainly don't think I'd need to run them on high gain.

According to the FIio FAQ pages the K11 adds a dB boost on medium and high gain; 'K11 supports three levels of gain, toggle switch adjustment, respectively L/M/H, the corresponding gain is 0dB/4dB/10dB. The gain adjustment needs to be determined according to your earphones. It is recommended to use H gain for high impedance headphones, M gain for normal impedance headphones, and L gain for low impedance headphones.'.

Soldato
At time of writing, I'm still running a gaming audio solution that stems from an internal card.

Here it is:

(1) Creative SoundBlaster AE-9. At time of writing, this is the best internal card that Creative offer. Before this, I ran an EVGA Nu Audio Pro in a prior system, which was discontinued by EVGA sadly. That was a pity, as it was a good card, which produced crisp, clear sound.
(2) Sennheiser HD 598SR open-backed headphones (50 ohms). These headphones have been superceded by newer offerings from Sennheiser, such as the Sennheiser HD 560S, and the Sennheiser HD 599.

It seems to work well. Sound is extremely crisp and clear. So-called "sound stage" from the Sennheiser HD 598SR is appreciably wide/expansive.

Looking Ahead

I'd be open to changing to a an external DAC+AMP solution in the future though, along with a potential open-backed headphone upgrade.

For the open-backed headphones, I was considering one of the following:
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD660 S2
  • Sennheiser HD800 S
I like the Sennheiser sound, and have only ever had very good experiences with this brand over the years.

For the external AMP + DAC solution, I was considering one of the following solutions:
  • Schitt Magni (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schitt Modi (DAC) ($119 + $129 -- an excellent value solution)
  • Schitt Asgard (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schiit Modius (DAC) ($279 + $229)
  • Schitt Asgard (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schitt Bifrost (DAC) ($279 + $799)
  • Schitt Valhalla (Amp) + Schitt Bifrost (DAC) ($299 + $799)
  • Schitt Jotunheim [using as Amp only -- no DAC module added] + Schitt Bifrost [DAC] ($399 + $799)
Desk space is a bit of an issue for me though, so any external AMP + DAC solution would have to have a small/modest footprint.
I've currently got the Asgard 3/modius combo which I really like. It's a great setup. I've heard the bifrost 2 is a good step up but a bit rich for me currently.
I was tempted to look at a 'schelf' type thing on Etsy, there is a seller that prints brackets and holders for schiit gear for bolting under desks etc.

Associate
I have a Fosi BT20A Pro, SMSL m100 mkii DAC, with the Acoustic Energy 301 speakers (front ported so mounted directly on the wall), sounds amazing after some calibrating and equalization using REW. Headset I use is the Sennheiser Game One.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a FIIO E10K and AKG K701.

Playing COD and can't help but feel like with a true gaming headset I'd hear footsteps more easily. I really struggle to isolate footsteps, especially height. Not sure if I'm just getting old or not.

Soldato
Got a FIIO E10K and AKG K701.

Playing COD and can't help but feel like with a true gaming headset I'd hear footsteps more easily. I really struggle to isolate footsteps, especially height. Not sure if I'm just getting old or not.
That will be the awesome audio engine of the current COD. Try raising the 125hz range on an EQ and see if that helps.

Soldato
Quite funny playing War Thunder with my AV system (laptop to av pre via bluetooth) with the two 15" 1800W subs, pretty mental.

Strange as BT used to be ok but I now get drop outs, it's about 2.5m away.

Soldato
At time of writing, I'm still running a gaming audio solution that stems from an internal card.

Here it is:

(1) EVGA Nu Audio Pro (soon to be replaced with a Creative SoundBlaster AE-9). At time of writing, for everyday consumers, these appear to be the two highest-quality internal soundcards on the market. Out of interest, sadly, the EVGA Nu Audio Pro was discontinued by EVGA. That was a pity, as it was a good card, which produced crisp, clear sound.
(2) Sennheiser HD 598SR open-backed headphones (50 ohms). These headphones have been superceded by newer offerings from Sennheiser, such as the Sennheiser HD 560S, and the Sennheiser HD 599.

My current setup seems to work well. Sound is extremely crisp and clear. So-called "sound stage" from the Sennheiser HD 598SR is appreciably wide/expansive.

Looking Ahead

I'd be open to changing to a an external DAC+AMP solution in the future though, along with a potential open-backed headphone upgrade.

For the open-backed headphones, I was considering one of the following:
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD660 S2
  • Sennheiser HD800 S
I like the Sennheiser sound, and have only ever had very good experiences with this brand over the years.

For the external AMP + DAC solution, I was considering one of the following solutions:
  • Schiit Magni (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schiit Modi (DAC) ($119 + $129 -- an excellent value solution)
  • Schiit Asgard (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schiit Modius (DAC) ($279 + $229)
  • Schiit Asgard (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schiit Bifrost (DAC) ($279 + $799)
  • Schiit Valhalla (Amp) + Schiit Bifrost (DAC) ($299 + $799)
  • Schiit Jotunheim (using as Amp only -- no DAC module added) + Schiit Bifrost (DAC) ($399 + $799)
Desk space is a bit of an issue for me though, so any external AMP + DAC solution would have to have a small/modest footprint.
I DO kinda miss my HD598SR's. At the age where hair loss becomes a thought so... eh, moved to IEMs :p
The soundstage on the open-backed senn stuff is incredible though. Never known anything like it. Used to PUBG with a ground of mates n I was effectively "radar" :D Still a good vid of us in a stairwell "they coming in the door... I think.. 2, no 3" and I proceed to double barrel each of them in turn :D

Last edited:
Associate
Fairly basic setup currently:

Schiit modi 2 and Magni3+ and a set of DT990s. I have a set of creative 2.0 speakers that I have had for years running off this.

Does the job but I have got interested in a bit of a rework of this recently potentially with some passives and a replacement for the Schiit. Not that there is anything wrong with them, would just like to try something else.

Topping MX3s certaintly has my attention as I like the idea of consolidating everything into a single device however reading suggests a better idea might be a DX3 Pro with a separate Amp as I would probably say I spend 75% of time with headphones as opposed to speakers. Tbh if the MX3s and DX3 Pro merged it would probably be the perfect device (Headphone amp and DAC of the DX3 with the speaker amp of the Mx3s)

Man of Honour
5ijzz59.jpeg

Might need some more speakers :p

Those little QR65s are mighty impressive though, for their size (a little taller than my open hand) they pack some crazy bass. They are advertised as long throw drivers, and yeah they throw quite long, hence the bass I guess:

Man of Honour
I think I have found the replacements for the KEF Q300 @Tephnos - Only took literally years and the slight creases on the alu cones is now bothering me even though it doesn't affect the sound one bit:

^^ Even my phone is picking up just how astonishing they are at vocals :cool:

I've come across the ELAC UNi-Fi 2.0 UB52 - They are 3-way coaxial with front firing ports and renowned for wide soundstage and natural dynamics - Which is right up to my box ticking sheet needs and the bass apparently is excelelnt too. Under £600 on Amazon, so will do a little bit more research and order once satisfied and bung my Q300s on marketplace.

Edit*

Actially just found the Audio Science review and they don't rate it due to some technical issues:

Ahhh well back to square one, keep the Q300 for more years lol. I did enquire with Sevenoaks on how much replacement drivers would cost, £11 each which is reasonable tbh for brand new drivers from KEF so will probably take up that offer as can swap them myself and have some cool looking paperweights from the old ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom