Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
Doesn't matter, are you happy with it? That's all that counts!
My headset came with two sets of earcups, velour and a leatherette set. The velour ones started to fall apart after a good number of years so I've switched to the leatherette, and I just don't think the audio is as good with them on. I've only been using them about a month though so I'll stick with them and see how I get on :D

Associate
Razer Blackshark V2 plugged directly into my motherboard...

Should probably consider at upgrade at some stage this year.

Associate
In my office/studio I have a Focusrite 4i4 with Yamaha HS7 Monitor speakers, or I just use my headset, which is an older Logitech deal.

Downstairs, if I game stream from my PC in the office to my Shield I have a Denon AV Amp with Monitor audio Bronze 5.1 speakers. Floor standers at the front.

Associate
On my desktop PC I use onboard sound with Logitech Z200 speakers (or Razer Kraken Headset) for gaming but for music making I use an Arturia Minifuse 1 and PreSonus Eris E3.5 Monitor Speakers

Caporegime
I can't recall the exact model, but I purchased some b-grade 2.0 Edifier speakers from here several years ago,
and they're still going strong. Only cost £80, IIRC.

Additionally, I'm also using a pair of DT 770 Pro (80 ohm), I wasn't sure at first if I liked them more than the Audio Technica ATH-M40x, as I think the upper range is somewhat clearer on the AT cans.
Over time, I've got used to them. Thankfully, the bass isn't too strong. Powered by the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen.

Last edited:
Associate
Just curious about this... Do any of you have different headphones for different types of games? Like perhaps one pair with better positional audio for FPS games, but then something more bass-orientated for single player games for immersive explosions etc?

Associate
Just curious about this... Do any of you have different headphones for different types of games? Like perhaps one pair with better positional audio for FPS games, but then something more bass-orientated for single player games for immersive explosions etc?

Personally no, more headphones for certain situations. I tend to use the PC38X on consoles given how tonally perfect and easy to drive they are, H6pros on the Steam Deck; again for how easy and comfortable they are. And the TYGR 300R & HD 560S with the desktop DAC/AMPs although it does vary.

With gaming I tend to value comfort more than when listening to other media. I suspect like many I've bought way too many headphones over the years and probably didn't need half of them!

Soldato
Ditched the wireless SteelSeries Arctis Pros as the plastic material around the retractable mic was breaking up (and I fancied a change!). Have gone back to wired and have the Sennheiser HD560S with a V-Moda Boompro mic.

Associate
Philips Fidelio x2hr plugged into a Sound BlasterX G6. Used to have it connected to a BoomPro Microphone, but since I moving to an Xbox/ps5 to game I listen to music/YouTube far more than game on my PC, so I got rid of the BoomPro.

Soldato
Currently Soundblaster Z into Goldring DR150s. Until recently I'd been using the Victor SU-DH1 for Dolby Headphone and separate headphone amp but decided Dolby Access and Atmos Headphone does the job OK for positional audio so taken those out of the loop. There was a very slight delay with using DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live to the the SU-DH1 and its good to have eliminated it, plus to have visualised elevation when available.

I used to have the Soundblaster Z in the slot adjacent to my graphics card but that generated some EMI noise (meaning it was advantageous to use a digital headphone receiver). After recent motherboard change I've put it in the bottom slot and the noise floor's much reduced. So a much simplified setup.
Quite a few changes since I last posted. Speakers wise it's a Soundblaster Z into an old Aiwa XR-M78 stereo when gaming at the desk. Sometimes it's RTX 4060 ti via HDMI into HDFury Arcana which splits DHMI video and audio then Sonos Beam Gen 2 plus 2 symfonisk bookshelves for a virtualised Dolby Atmos or 5.1 (My TV has ARC but not eARC so the Arcana takes over eARC duties). Headphones wise I use a Creative Super X-Fi Amp into various headphones but most often AudioTechnica Quetpoint ATH ANC33iS. For 5.1 and 7.1 games I use the Super X-Fi virtualised headphone mode. For Atmos games I use DTS Headphone:X with SX-Fi turned off.

Soldato
As you mention Atmos I installed the Dolby Atmos codec for Windows 11 and I've started using my 7.2.4 setup (Denon AVR, Q Acoustics Concept bed layer, Cambridge Audio heights and two 12" subs) for gaming and I'm quite taken aback how impressive the spatial sound stage and how detailed the sound mixing is.

Playing Star Wars: Jedi Survivor and you hear the birds and other creatures flying overhead. When you walk under waterfalls the sound of water comes from above you.

Even playing older games like Witcher 3 the sound placement was still excellent.

The sound goes via HDMi from a RTX4090 to the LG C1 77" OLED and then into the Denon AVR.

Last edited:
Associate
New to this - got my Fiio K11 & Sennheiser HD 560S last night and did a few games of Tarkov. Night and day difference when compared to what I was using previous.

Just to check settings (cos these are my 1st headphone/DAC combo) do you run Med gain on this with a higher volume or should I go to high gain and drop the volume a bit?

Associate
Logitech g560 for sdesktop speakers, pretty good but need to look at a new headset. Had a pair of sennheiser hd somethings.. can't remember the model, cost me £200 a few years ago. They were pretty good and i need to source something as good again, so will be looking around this forum looking to see some recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom