• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

games "pausing" for a second while playing

Associate
Got a strange problem with some games when playing. They will be smooth as butter but its almost like if it loads a section or something there is a second pause then it jumps back smooth. Is this normal?

Setup:
780ti SLI
4770k @ 3.5ghz
16gb 2133 ram
500gb evo ssd
Z87X-OC board

At the moment running games at 1080p (been waiting to upgrade my monitors). Battlefield 4 is bad for it (single player). Crysis 3 does it, Watchdogs and a few others. Is it something in my setup? CPU needs overclocking or something? Using the latest NV drivers.

Thanks for any advice :)

Soldato
I've had this before from 2 different errors.

Firstly was having the disk drive go to sleep after 20 mins inactive (default I think). Go to power management and set to never.

Second time was directly related to not having the correct chipset drivers from Intel installed.

Associate
OP
What PSU have you got?

corsair 1200w

I've had this before from 2 different errors.

Firstly was having the disk drive go to sleep after 20 mins inactive (default I think). Go to power management and set to never.

Second time was directly related to not having the correct chipset drivers from Intel installed.

just checked and its set to never. also got the samsung magician software on and thats set to maximum performance.

with regards to the chipset drivers, I can remove and reinstall, just to make sure im not being a tool which are the ones to use for a gigabyte Z87X-OC?

If you haven't already, try unparking your cores. Fixed this type of stuttering for me in every game.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18576413

funnily enough I found your thread and did this when I first got BF4, just checked again and they are all showing as unparked

Associate
I'm curious at to why you've got the bells and whistles of a system, SLI etc, yet are running your unlocked 'K' processor at stock, and on an OC board?

Just curiosity, not looking for trouble :)

Doesn't help your stutter issue (would if I could!), but it's free performance :)

Soldato
I wouldnt personally bother with anything driver related first.

Remove one of the 780s, remove soundscard / disable on board sound.

Basically take the PC to its bare minimum to function. Same as when troubleshooting why a machine wont even boot up

Then look at drivers

Associate
OP
I had similar probs with my system. Forcing the offending games to high priority in task manager cured it for me. Don't know what was causing it tbh.

how do I do that mate?

is the evo in rapid mode? that will read/write to and from the memory so might be worth testing with it disabled

Yep, evo is in rapid mode. Will give that a whirl :)

I'm curious at to why you've got the bells and whistles of a system, SLI etc, yet are running your unlocked 'K' processor at stock, and on an OC board?

Just curiosity, not looking for trouble :)

Doesn't help your stutter issue (would if I could!), but it's free performance :)

Long story... haha! bought an overclocked bundle from ocuk as I dont really know what im doing with overclocking. arrived with a broken bios and was actually running at 800mhz haha! switched to the backup bios which didnt have the settings and all worked fine, literally just never bothered to sort it back out. Would it cause bottlenecks or something do you think? also if I used turbo or something in the mobo settings would that be as good as the ocuk overclock? was at 4.6ghz

Associate
OP
I wouldnt personally bother with anything driver related first.

Remove one of the 780s, remove soundscard / disable on board sound.

Basically take the PC to its bare minimum to function. Same as when troubleshooting why a machine wont even boot up

Then look at drivers

ok mate, will give that a go. Is disabling SLI good enough or do I literally need to remove the card?

Back
Top Bottom