Games you're playing, and games...

Associate
Not that kind of survival. I mean games that you have to hunt for food and water otherwise you die. This War of Mine, Subnautica, Darkwood - games like that.
I see. But technically Resident Evil (the older ones)is survival if you play at a high difficulty. Bullets and health kits are scarce for example. And you have to plan ahead. I just love the atmosphere and music from those games. Try Resident Evil 7 in VR. It's the only time in my life I've jumped back or got an unexpected fright in a game.
Failing all that you could always sign up for Naked and Afraid.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see. But technically Resident Evil (the older ones)is survival if you play at a high difficulty. Bullets and health kits are scarce for example. And you have to plan ahead. I just love the atmosphere and music from those games. Try Resident Evil 7 in VR. It's the only time in my life I've jumped back or got an unexpected fright in a game.
Failing all that you could always sign up for Naked and Afraid.
Got no issues with RE and I have and love them all (except 5). Even the Revelations games I enjoyed. I don’t have it or even want VR but I loved RE7 and Village as well. But that’s still not what I am talking about. Survival horror and Survival are two entirely different genres. I might give Conan Exiles a go because the new Dune: Awakening game by Funcom looks really amazing.

I’ve never heard of Naked and Afraid but looked it up just now. I’d probably watch that and I normally hate reality TV.

Last edited:
Associate
Got no issues with RE and I have and love them all (except 5). Even the Revelations games I enjoyed. I don’t have it or even want VR but I loved RE7 and Village as well. But that’s still not what I am talking about. Survival horror and Survival are two entirely different genres. I might give Conan Exiles a go because the new Dune: Awakening game by Funcom looks really amazing.

I’ve never heard of Naked and Afraid but looked it up just now. I’d probably watch that and I normally hate reality TV.
I also hate 'reality' TV. But there's reality TV for females,and there's reality TV for men. You should check out Ed Stafford. That guy is brilliant,he has loads of Series and Specials. He's genuine as well,not like that idiot Bear Grylls. I actually learned a lot of bushcraft skills from Ed (not personally) He is the real deal.
As for Naked and Afraid,there was this one episode where a woman went solo in a south american rain forest(obviously naked,literally!) You are allowed 3 basic items. Most people take a pot for boiling water,a knife/machete,and maybe a mozzy net. She took the mozzy net,but it was so bad at night time she actually had ticks inside her lips of glory and the mozzys still got through she was absolutely ruined after nearly a week and had to quit. Not exactly a happy thing to watch but interesting all the same.

Last edited:
Caporegime
God of War: Valhalla

Went in to this DLC blind but expected it to be an add on to Ragnarok with more missions and equipment but it’s just some Mickey Mouse, play the same level over and over again garbage. Cheap trash and not worth the £0 it cost.

Associate
God of War: Valhalla

Went in to this DLC blind but expected it to be an add on to Ragnarok with more missions and equipment but it’s just some Mickey Mouse, play the same level over and over again garbage. Cheap trash and not worth the £0 it cost.
They do make it pretty clear it’s a roguelite DLC addition… The whole point of it is that you play the same ‘level’ over and over.

Soldato
Didn't know of that term but Returnal was next on my list and that's put me off now :(
Returnal is amazing. Not trying it at least would be a mistake, regardless of how you feel about soulslike/roguelite. And I'm saying that as someone who loves Soulslike but isn't too keen on roguelike/lite games. It's one of those rare PS5 exclusives (well, former exclusives) that are actually unique and gameplay-focused, along with Demon's Souls, instead of the usual cinematic adventures where you don't even get to fully control your character or be allowed to fall of ledge. Like GoW:p I liked it but the hack'n'slash trilogy were absolutely better games with puzzles that weren't a total insult to one's intelligence and deeper mechanics.

I treated every run in Returnal as its own thing, gearing up and trying to play my best, when it clicks it's an absolute mad adrenaline rush.

The audio and atmosphere are stellar.

As for Valhalla, haven't played it yet and in no rush since I think Ragnarok is also overrated AF when it comes to writing and level design. Maybe some day. It'll do for a free DLC though.

Anyways, Returnal is cheap and is on Extra, won't hurt to try it even if you end up shelving it.

Last edited:
Associate
Playing FIFA 24, hadn’t played a football game for over 20 years (most played was FIFA 98), played a game against my 10 yr old nephew and got laughed at so practicing a bit before we play again :p

Associate
Didn't know of that term but Returnal was next on my list and that's put me off now :(
Have you got a disc or digital PS5? I know roguelites can be a bit marmite - if you've got a disc PS5 I'd definitely look at grabbing a second hand copy of Returnal to give it a go - or see if it's on a good sale on the PS Store.

I really enjoyed Returnal - but I also really enjoy roguelite games. It's one of the best games for the dualsense controller features too.

Back
Top Bottom