General RPG discussion (formally : DND + RPG)

Soldato
Just Courious but how many (if any) are Dungeons and Dragon'ing?
are you local / online? DM(s)/Player(s)
app no app
and howd you feel about spell jammers and oneD&D

Edit - changed title as its sort or turned into a general RPG discussion

Last edited:
Soldato
I do it occasionally.
My DM is old school, so pencil and paper with the v3.5 source books for occasional reference. Sometimes he draws up maps and uses a handful of props. Toyed with the idea of figures, but it's just too much work.
No apps, no computers, just his notebooks, a set of dice each and space to laze on a sofa, really. A table is only used when we're all having dinner.

Soldato
We play in a local group, my missus is the DM, mostly as nobody else wants to do it.
Always homebrew.
We are currently trying out different systems every 10 weeks with some newbies.
We use apps if possible as we have Herolab.
Not tried spell jammer etc..

Pathfinder they found enjoyable but overwhelming on the ruleset and options. They loved the character options though.
5E was quite simple and quick but not enough going on.
Fallout was fun, having played the video games it felt familiar to all.
Traveller (current). They are enjoying it, some interesting challenges as there hadn't been much combat to the last session. We all love the character generation.

We have the following still on the list
Honey Heist (1 off)
Starfinder
Pathfinder 2
Stargate (5e)
Vampire the Masquerade (if I can be bothered to run it)

Soldato
OP
more an FYI, but Humble Bundle have a deal on for the Pathfinder 2E
physical box + a lot of pdf source materials and starfinder. its worth a checkfor £50 (p&P for base game 30+45 for international)

Soldato
Yeah, I've got a group - started in person, now playing online as it's easier and quicker - but turnout is worse, I've found.
We play 5e, PF2e and CoC.
We use apps where appropriate (online and when it's free).
Hoping One D&D will be a step forward from 5e, which I've found disappointing for several reasons.

Associate
I play a fair bit of D&D, along with other TTRPGs - I'm mixed in with three different groups at the moment.
We still have a number of the players from this thread playing in online D&D campaigns together (usually weekly in the middle of the week), our group has gone through a few of the adventure modules with the DM rotating between members of the group.

I used to play a lot in person at a club, but now I'm almost exclusively playing online using either the Roll20 of Foundry virtual table tops with content from D&D Beyond.

As a concept, I love Spelljammer... but I'm not a fan of the recent release for D&D 5e.
There's a mix of stuff I like and things I don't like from OneD&D, overall I'm enjoying the playtest.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I've got a group - started in person, now playing online as it's easier and quicker - but turnout is worse, I've found.
thats a bit disapointing to hear on the people turn out side. i feel you loose something doing it online, instead of inperson :/ and above comment sort of shows that. Although i know people have there own stuff going on but still.

i think the problem with an RPG LFG thread is most peope already have established groups and people they already play with. Plus it'll be trying to find a DM no?

These days its mostly finding people online through one of the various organising services like Roll20 it seems.

"Traveller" & "Cyberpunk Red" seems to also be very popular Role Play Systems/worlds, outside of DND / Pathfinder so might be worth a look fo a change, Sci vs fantasy.

I'm trying to get in to these :
"The Broken Cask" ("The Broken Cask Society" group play version of the solo adventure.)
&
"Five Parsecs from Home" to look in to

nice little watch

Edit : love how you could die during character creation in Traveller! in oriinal release's

Edit 2 :
short 3 ep series of Traveller:

i wonder how people feel abou the character creation and how it compares to some of the others mentioned.

For those interested in Cyberpunk but dont actully own a copy maybe have a check out of :

Last edited:
Associate
I play 5e with an online group. I've played plenty of other games in person in the past, but 5e online is where I'm at now:cry:.

Last edited:
Soldato
thats a bit disapointing to hear on the people turn out side. i feel you loose something doing it online, instead of inperson :/ and above comment sort of shows that. Although i know people have there own stuff going on but still.

i think the problem with an RPG LFG thread is most peope already have established groups and people they already play with. Plus it'll be trying to find a DM no?

These days its mostly finding people online through one of the various organising services like Roll20 it seems.
My group is a weird make-up, so it is disappointing, but two people got new jobs, and one has always been a little flakey. The core is there (4 of us) but that's not really enough if one or two people are unwell, or something unexpected comes up. Face to face the attendance was a lot better, but we've pretty much all got young children now so.... 3 of our 4, and 2 others, all DM - so we're never short on that front!

There was actually an OCUK D&D group for a while - I dropped out after a couple months for reasons, but they did continue for a while. It was a good little squad with some really funny moments. Turns out a lot of people on here were looking for a group at the time - no shortage of DMs either - there was 2 or 3 in the group! :D

Soldato
I'm going to run a one/two shot of Rotblack Sludge for Mörk Borg in a couple of weeks for my friends. I was running a 5e campaign for quite a while for them but I got super burned out on it and bored of it. I think my big problem is the power level of characters in 5e makes it really hard to keep it challenging without getting ridiculous.

I'm not against going back to 5e and I want to continue that campaign at some point but definitely looking forward to running a game of MB.

I've got Blades in The Dark as well but not sure I'll ever get to running that, it's so different to D&D I think it'll be much more challenging to move over to. Does look like a lot of fun though.

Soldato
OP
well... theres a lot going on in th world(s) rioght not with the ogl 1.1
its going to be interesting year for DND and TTRPG in general based on whats i've lissend to.

For the Lolz

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I started in D&D over 40 years ago, tried Runequest (liked that a lot), Twilight 2000, Elric, Traveller etc.
As the guys are still my best friends, we now play weekly online using Roll20, which puts the character sheets online, has embedded rules logic and allows sharing of maps, rolling of dice online etc. We use Discord for the voicecoms, works brill.
A couple of years ago, we used Pendragon. Currently we're using D&D5e.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

what are you currently group playing Mr_Sukebe out of interest.​

and what are some of your fond memories

As mentioned above, we're currently using the D&D5e rules online via Roll20. For voicecoms, we use Discord. Works really well.

With the current "noise" around WOTC, there might be a need to change system. Maybe we'd look at Pendragon again, or on a much more similar vein, Pathfinder.

As for fond memories, where to start. I started playing D&D for the first time aged 14, which was before AD&D arrived.
Some of the more amusing anecdotes include:
- Thieves world using Runequest. A setting so dangerous that we spent the first few weeks bringing in a new character every day. Eventually a couple survived...
- A one off single day campaign, using Elric rules. Just two players, had to fight our way past a mass of hurdles to ask the "Oracle" the question about life the universe and everything. The catch was that you only got one question. Played for 8 hours until we got to the final boss, who killed my character. The other player finishes the fight, walks through the door, and says "are you the Oracle"?
The answer being "yes"
- One of the players in the first BIG game (14 players) that I joined, who realised that killing players was worth FAR more XPs than killing the monsters, and promptly started assassinating other members of the party

Nowadays, we try to use the rules as little as possible, i.e. mainly only for combat, to see if we can think or talk our way around problems. Takes MASSIVELY longer, but frankly that's not an issue. The key point is the enjoyment of spending time with friends.

Soldato
Fortunately my group has recovered - found another local lad who seems a good laugh and everyone else seems rejuvenated. Currently playing the PF2e adventure Blood Lords which is bloody good fun. The built in sounds in the official module on Foundry VTT are brilliant and the system is better and better by the day as I learn more and more little things about it.

The current noise, as Mr Sukebe has named it, about WOTC has prompted us to stick with PF2e for the foreseeable. I am not impressed with WOTC treating the community like they have. PF2e a solid system, a lot of fun, I love the action economy, incredibly dangerous for players and monsters and, let's face, most of the fun is in the RP and the hijinks.

Soldato
OP
As mentioned above, we're currently using the D&D5e rules online via Roll20. For voicecoms, we use Discord. Works really well.
i appologies i misunderstood what you menat, i thouht you were saying you were playing a game with the 5e rule set but wasnt a DnD game.

from what i've read / seen there are no changes at the moment nd WOTC have backed off. so safe at the moment - https://www.gameshub.com/news/news/...l-open-gaming-license-changes-jan-2023-39523/
Pathfinder 2e is still forging ahead with the ORC Licence - https://www.polygon.com/23553389/dnd-ogl-paizo-orc-open-rpg-creative-license-announcement

sounds like your really enjoying your selfs. exploring the system in one of its may ways and not just plowing in firsts first which can be equally fun.
Those 3 are amusing moments :D mae me think of
- One of the players in the first BIG game (14 players) that I joined, who realised that killing players was worth FAR more XPs than killing the monsters, and promptly started assassinating other members of the party

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The current noise, as Mr Sukebe has named it, about WOTC has prompted us to stick with PF2e for the foreseeable. I am not impressed with WOTC treating the community like they have. PF2e a solid system, a lot of fun, I love the action economy, incredibly dangerous for players and monsters and, let's face, most of the fun is in the RP and the hijinks.
yep aagreed they messed up big time :/ i'm sure its driven a lot of people away from them, a solid good rep to ruin in the space of an hour. Let it be a lesson to others.
the plus side is a surge in people trying PF2e and other alterantive systems.

will be interesting to see how the likes of Critical Roll handle it and were they go from now.

Soldato
Well I've taken the plunge, I've signed up at DnD Beyond and I'm going to give it a go. It's been the better part of 30+ years since I last played and other than a bit of HeroKids with the monsters I'm a total beginner.

Here's hoping I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the idea of it.

Back
Top Bottom