General RPG discussion (formally : DND + RPG)

Soldato
OP
its all about the people your with than the actuall game/game mechanics.

just be aware of all the recent issues surounding the attempted licecning changes, its disapointed a lot of people so may not be quiet as big of a community..

Have fun meet new people and make new freinds :)

also interested in your thoughs on DNDB

Soldato
OP
just a heads up for those interested i see HumbleBundle have 2 RPG packs available :
1) Pathfinder - inluding the beginers box set in electronic format - 18days left as of today - Pathfinder
2) kobold press + feinds - 6days left as of today - Kobold_Link

might be an a good way to get in to a different theme for those interested or just add to the collection

i missed the last Pathfinder bundle so i think i'm going to pick this one up.

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up that Pathfinder bundle.

For those who use Roll20 or Foundry vtt's, owning official Paizo pdf's grants a discount for those same items in Roll20 or Foundry VTT.

Soldato
OP
the pathfinder starter set looks to be excelantly created (the physial box) with a good walk through first campain for new starts. it seems to be highly recomended as a starter box in comparrason to the DND stater sets as an example.
i like how they colour coded each die as an example.

Plus we always like a good dicount :D so thanks fo rhte heads up Torquar
what are you plans for Pathfinder? are yu an active player already? interest or looking to run a game soon?

Soldato
OP
did any one by chance back : Across a Thousand Dead Worlds?

Across a Thousand Dead Worlds is a new horror space exploration tabletop roleplaying game that can be enjoyed as a single player experience, or in a group of up to five players, with or without a Game Master - by Blackoath Entertainment!

You'll create your Deep Diver, using a free-form character creation system, and begin your journey across the galaxy where you'll discover abandoned research facilities, explore scientific outposts, and traverse other dilapidated sites in search for ancient alien technology.

Take refuge aboard Karum Station, your home between missions (as long as you pay the fees, of course), and enjoy a drink with your crewmates before spending your hard earned credits on equipment for the next mission. Grab your gear, check your vitals, and prepare to deploy Across a Thousand Dead Worlds!

Preview for those intereste :
Preview PDF File from kick starter

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've taken the plunge, I've signed up at DnD Beyond and I'm going to give it a go. It's been the better part of 30+ years since I last played and other than a bit of HeroKids with the monsters I'm a total beginner.

Here's hoping I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the idea of it.
Good luck!
You might be better off going somewhere like Roll20 to find a group. Even though I use Foundry VTT - I've no idea how good the LFG environment is!

Soldato
the pathfinder starter set looks to be excelantly created (the physial box) with a good walk through first campain for new starts. it seems to be highly recomended as a starter box in comparrason to the DND stater sets as an example.
i like how they colour coded each die as an example.

Plus we always like a good dicount :D so thanks fo rhte heads up Torquar
what are you plans for Pathfinder? are yu an active player already? interest or looking to run a game soon?
The Pathfinder bundle at Humble is amazing for new players. I'm so pleased to see so many people trying out PF2e. It's a great system. Add in Foundry VTT and it's amazing integration, both official and unofficial, I can't see myself going back to any other VTT.

Soldato
OP
Starfinder Bundle on Humble Bundle if people are interested
Starfinder

Note 2 items are physical if your ordering the 29 items, if your not interested in physical then the 27 items.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
people might find this interesting or usfull if not already aware :

"The Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game is a rules-light game system modeled on the classic RPG rules of the early 1980's. Basic Fantasy RPG has been written largely from scratch to replicate the look, feel, and mechanics of the early RPG game systems. It is suitable for those who are fans of "old-school" game mechanics. Basic Fantasy RPG is simple enough for children in perhaps second or third grade to play, yet still has enough depth for adults as well.

Basic Fantasy RPG is an Open Source game system, supported by dedicated fans worldwide who have contributed hundreds of pages of rules supplements, adventure modules, and other useful and enjoyable game materials as seen on our downloads page."

Edit, so i dont spam the thread
this was recomeneded to me today by a group : Paranoia
i see there was a kick starter for updated rule set as well not done by mongoose Publication : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/paranoia-rpg-the-perfect-edition

Last edited:
Soldato
@Emo_hug If I'm honest not great. Session 0 went ok the DM was good but a few of the other players grated me a little. Session 1 my worst fears were realised. We were running the Candlekeep Mysteries and about 3 of the players were keen to roleplay pains in the backside which made it difficult for me as a beginner. We didn't even start the first mystery after 3 hours of play. Then teh DM had real life issues and things went on hiatus. My workload picked up and I took the opportunity to drop out. I'm keen to play DnD just not with 2 or 3 of the players in the group I was with.

Still looking for a group but not in a desperate rush. I'd like to get some more straight forward play under y belt with other less experienced players.

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear you had a bad expirence on your first play :/

i know how you mean about finding a group to begin with, not as easy as it sounds. hope you managed to find a group that jells with you!

first 3hrs i guess were the character creation i would guess.

Maybe see if anyone interested/or looking to play "Dragons of storm wreck island" or the original "Dungeons & Dragons - Starter Set - Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure " as those tend to be geared to starters, so good likelyhood anyone playing through these will be newish. as there intended for the targer audence (new players), but expirenced plays still seem to enjoy both alike! frome what i can tell.

Pathfinder Beginner box set gets good reviews (as a starter box and campaine walkthough for new players) if your looking to spread a bit further than DND, amd has a natural follow on "Troubles in Otari".
you dont get the Character creation so they are faster to get in to.

Basic Fantasy may be of interest also, all the material published is free or paid print at cost so very cheap. i see a few games on Roll20 open for this.

was there a spesific reason you went with : Candlekeep Mysteries
out of interest?

edit : 4hrs later - additional text

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently playing through Curse of the Crimson Throne (Pathfinder 1st ed.).
I miss every other week as I have football but it's going okay from what I can tell. On chapter 2 at the moment and no character build regrets as yet.
Dwarf Ranger with 2 archetypes (Divine Hunter and something else)
Our Warpriest is thinking he should have gone full Cleric or Paladin and our Rogue forgot to take Disable Device
We've also got a Bard type, Magus and Wizard.

Soldato
OP
at least the party will be creating interesting situations :) and back stories remenissing in the local tavern :D
nice to see a pathfinder player, im guessing you've been playing a long time? started on P1?

Back
Top Bottom