General RPG discussion (formally : DND + RPG)

Associate
I think when my current D&D campaigns come to an end, I might take a little break from the 5e ruleset and switch back to Pathfinder for a bit as it's been years since I've touched Paizo's system. Barely had a chance to run anything in PF2e when it came out as none of my friends were interested in it at the time.

Got almost all the PF1 adventure path books & modules on my shelf from when I was subscribed to their monthly releases, plus a quite a few of their flipmat packs and cardstock minis.

Soldato
at least the party will be creating interesting situations :) and back stories remenissing in the local tavern :D
nice to see a pathfinder player, im guessing you've been playing a long time? started on P1?
Yes, been playing Pathfinder for about 9 years so used to the system. I think that's why I find D&D 5th so bland in comparison.
I think my only criticism of Baldurs Gate 3 is that it uses 5th so character generation and leveling up is lacking when you look at all the options that Pathfinder has.

Tried P2 which I liked but we have all the material for P1 so sticking with that.

Soldato
OP
not sure if people have seen this or not but may be worth a look for the remote players:
Roll20 bundle

&
Warhammer bundle

Caporegime
DnD

Start my can't wait to have session 1 of my brand new campaign with new people.

The DM must be super well off has he has a games building on his huge plot.

The building just for games is nicer than my house! :D

Its got a TV in the games table.. That's the level of it!

Seems like a really nice bunch and haven't played a campaign in ages. So can't wait.

Playing a class and race I've never played before.

Last edited:
Soldato
@413x Have you had your first session yet or still waiting? If so how did it go.

I'm a newbie and my previous attempt to start playing peter'd out when the DM had to drop out. Just had Session 0 for a new group and campaign. Looking forward to learning the game (5e).

Caporegime
@413x Have you had your first session yet or still waiting? If so how did it go.

I'm a newbie and my previous attempt to start playing peter'd out when the DM had to drop out. Just had Session 0 for a new group and campaign. Looking forward to learning the game (5e).
Its tonight actually.
So excited. I've played my new character in a one shot. But 3 of the others (inc my gf) have chosen different characters. So we get to meet as new characters.

Me and the girl in white are our characters and we know each other in game.
My gf with the gun and the 2 on the right all have new characters. The guy in the back joined that session as a one off (son of the DM)

Bt3wSi8.jpg

As you can see below.. Apart from the cleric, no one is "tough/strong"
No rogue, no barbarian lol. Going to be interesting!

7Fmck00.jpg

If you want any advice/help let me know! Who are you playing?

Last edited:
Soldato
We're playing 5e on an old setting called Mystara using a really old Forgotten Realms module. The DM is keeping it quite vanilla in keeping with the Mystara setting. I'm going to be playing a human rogue, other players haven't decided yet. One of the things I like about the campaign is he's keeping some of the choices narrow which for a complete newbie like me should help.

Caporegime
We're playing 5e on an old setting called Mystara using a really old Forgotten Realms module. The DM is keeping it quite vanilla in keeping with the Mystara setting. I'm going to be playing a human rogue, other players haven't decided yet. One of the things I like about the campaign is he's keeping some of the choices narrow which for a complete newbie like me should help.

How funny. My first ever character was a human rogue too.
I avoided magic because it was just too much to learn for me.

My biggest error was playing it too much like a computer game. I looked forward to the battles and not the role play.
With a rogue you don't have to do much role play of you're new and can watch other people. I found that useful. There's less admin and things to remember (except sneak attack.. Really important).

As you can see I've done a 180. Playing a bard! :D

I was always intrigued by a bard. But was too scared to commit to a campaign. So tried her in a one shot and absolutely love her. Not sure if the party will though. I was concerned I'd get bored in battles. But leiriana was a bit of a bombshell in the one shot. As events transpired she nearly caused the mission to fail. (basically she got mind controlled and party tried to save her.. But she saw it as being attacked so she used her own spells against her team.. I'll say this.. Hypnotic pattern on a college of eloquence bard is strong!

In the big battle she had nearly every enemy incapacitated. She knows sleep and hypnotic pattern (level 5 one shot). Enough said.

I love reading about items and spells now. I love all the little details. Doing the back story. It was all so hard early days. But more you play easier it gets.

Hope your group is good. I've played with some terrible and amazing groups. Obviously it changes the game completely!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after a few hiccups with fellas from America not knowing what GMT is we finally got started. Only 4 players which is a little short for the campaign so the DM is reducing the encounters to compensate. The group is good certainly more amiable than the abortive group I was previously with (1 session). A very combat and encounters heavy first session which from my perspective as a complete newbie was welcome and it allowed the group to build some rapport as we played. So looking forward to continuing the campaign.

Soldato
OP
more and FYI for those GMs and players intereted but
Paranio Pack - watching a video with Will Weaton it looked like a fun night game with lots of relay vaue.

2days left as of posting.

Well after a few hiccups with fellas from America not knowing what GMT is we finally got started. Only 4 players which is a little short for the campaign so the DM is reducing the encounters to compensate. The group is good certainly more amiable than the abortive group I was previously with (1 session). A very combat and encounters heavy first session which from my perspective as a complete newbie was welcome and it allowed the group to build some rapport as we played. So looking forward to continuing the campaign.
your your campaign going?

Last edited:
Soldato
your your campaign going?
It's going well thank you. Two sessions in played through an old Basic D+D module modified for 5e, not too demanding. Now moved onto another which feels already like it will be a bit more involved. The core of the group are easy to get on with and pretty supportive of an inexpereinced player like me. So I'm enjoying it.

Soldato
OP
for those interested Humble Bundle has the WarHammer RPGset up

WaaarrrrrHammmmeeerrr Link
19 item bundle

Nice to Meet you Psymonkee
to be fair a lot of people are busy with there own groups, and theres not to many people on here.
always enjoyable meeting people who are enjoying stretching there imaginations :) lots of fun to be had with the right people.

Soldato
OP
classic Pathfinder bundle - may be of interest to some

Pathfinder fans, this is the bundle you’ve been waiting for! Get over 65 adventures, sourcebooks, and more for classic Pathfinder from two of the largest 3rd party Pathfinder publishers ever. The Lost Lands: Sword of Air is a massive old-school-style sandbox adventure that can keep a party going for years. The Southlands for Pathfinder is a jam-packed setting book that offers a ton of new character options like new races, spells, and magic items, on top of all the background material you’ll need to run a campaign in this inspired setting. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg– there’s player aids, monster resources, wilderness adventures and dungeons,

Back
Top Bottom