German Grand Prix 2016, Hockenheim - Race 12/21

Man of Honour
I don't know what's wrong with having a little bit of grass on the edge, then tarmac after the grass. The drivers for sure won't want to be on it and it's not unsafe or dangerous in any way.

Associate
Although probably too technical but could some sort of throttle limiter be introduced so that if your wheel goes over the white line that the throttle input is limited to 10% until you are back within track limits?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Although probably too technical but could some sort of throttle limiter be introduced so that if your wheel goes over the white line that the throttle input is limited to 10% until you are back within track limits?

Palmersports single seaters do this via GPS. Works well but then you aren't racing and it's just to stop you doing a runner haha.

That could be potentially dangerous, limiting power when someone is approaching at full speed. It's better to punish after the fact and allow the drivers full potential to avoid incidents whether they are seen to gain an advantage or not.

Man of Honour
Glaucus' argument is that if there is a penalty for going off the track then we will see "300 drive throughs a race" as everyone apparently makes mistakes and goes wide all the time.

Yet surprisingly thay all seem to (almost) manage to not crash at every corner in Monaco or Singapore, where the edge of the track is defined by a .

:rolleyes:
drivers do make mistakes especially in the rain, the other weekend how many penalties would there have been. also when overtaking which rarely happens at Monaco. you think LH should have got a penaltie for leaving track limits when NR pushed him off?

your argument like last time is just pure silly.

and even at Monaco they go wide and cut the chicane etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
oh god, new yellow rule flags are stupid and doesn't solve the issue.

so if double yellow flags in qualifying then it is effectively red flagged and anyone out on track wont set a qualifying time. regardless where you are on the track.

and in the race nothing changes. or has VSC replaced all double yellows?
stupidity, just enforce the rule slow down and prepare to stop. not a split second lift, a proper lift and apply breaks.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with stricter track limit penalties in principle but I can't ever believe stewards would ever be consistent in their enforcement, so it's a no for me.

Man of Honour
partial solution to what shouldn't be such a big issue in the first place, so if start under SC you do laps under the safety car, then stop on grid and o a full grid start.

Soldato
Don't worry about the deletion of lap times if double yellows are thrown. The FIA have now decided to throw red flags:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-red-flag-qualifying-to-avoid-speeding-controversies-803320/

And in regard to track limits from FP1 this morning:

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 57s57 seconds ago
Race control: Turn 1 sensors recorded 93 track limit violations in FP1. Max Verstappen was responsible for 14 of them. #AMuS #GermanGP #F1

Again don't worry, they aren't going to bother policing it. :rolleyes:

I'm off to Spa this year (first time to an F1 race in 14 years) and I'm not that excited about it. The sport is in such disarray! :(

Soldato
I think the running off problem is because of the old run offs all being tarmac'd over. You once suffered the consequences of getting two wheels in the dirt. Try it and get lucky or lose control or time. It's too sterile and there's too much interference. It's just a bloody yawn fest.

Caporegime
Agree with penalties for going off track. But I think I'd rather see gravel or something.
I'm betting that would soon stop it happening.
Only bad thing is stuff like gravel will hinder what little overtaking there isn't
Time penalties are fine imo. 5 seconds to pitstop or 5 added to time if you do it 3 times is sufficient

Man of Honour
A bit unrelated. But has anyone tried Motorsport manager ok iPhone/android? Very fun game (I'm just rubbish at it)

Yup. Haven't played it for a while, once you start winning everything and then there's no point keep going on. Don't know if much has changed in the last few months.

However, the PC version is looking interesting. About time we had a decent F1 management game on the PC. GPRM2 was the last one really, and that was 20 years ago,

Man of Honour
60,000 tickets for the race on Sunday needs to be sold just to break even.
As of yesterday only 52,000 was sold. I hope it's not a trend.

I fear in many places it will be. This is what happens wit Brexit!....oh sorry, wrong thread. The cars are boring, the racing is often boring and the drivers all seem to mush into 1 these days. Needs a shake up and ideal some better noise too.

Back
Top Bottom