• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 7950 WF3 Bios - What did yours come with?

Associate
6+8. Is that a 7970 board then? Would be interested in your asic score.

How do I check if it's a 7970 board? I'll check and let you know asics. I don't really know what it means though- higher is better I assume?

Noise levels?

Very low to my ears, that said I am moving from a reference unlocked MSI 6950 with bad sound levels, and an MSI twin frozer 7950 with the 'fan issue' you may have heard about. My case is also designed for noise reduction in mind. All that said it's a very quiet card in my opinion. :)

Associate
How do I check if it's a 7970 board? I'll check and let you know asics. I don't really know what it means though- higher is better I assume?

Very low to my ears, that said I am moving from a reference unlocked MSI 6950 with bad sound levels, and an MSI twin frozer 7950 with the 'fan issue' you may have heard about. My case is also designed for noise reduction in mind. All that said it's a very quiet card in my opinion. :)

Higher is said to need less voltage on air.

Soldato
VRM's run 70-75c under load and i run my memory at 1450 on stock volts, don't really want to play with memory voltage as the performance gain from memory oc isn't that great.

Link in my sig to the gpu-z report.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if people have actually read the whole thread.

If you check on page 2, I switched the FZ0 BIOS to the F42 BIOS, changed a few settings in MSI afterburner, and had my Gigabyte 7950 WF clocked to 1150MHZ @ 1.21v, no need for the locked 1.25v with 1000MHz.

Nelly said:
Okay new problem, using F42 Bios, the voltage can now increase, but the maximum core clock in MSI Afterburner is 1100MHz wtf! :o

It's as if their is a core limiter on these batches of Gigabyte 7950 WF3, with FZ0 Bios it was 1200MHz, but the voltage was locked.

test1pn.jpg
uscool said:
Hi, i have the same graphics card with same bios

follow this to get more overclock
http://www.overclock.net/t/1292713/...the-official-way-using-msi-afterburner-on-amd

3. Run atferburner once, it will promt you to restart. Restart.
4. Create a Shortcut for MSI Afterburner, place it on the desktop.
5. Right click the shortcut, click properties and in the target box add /xcl.
6. It should look like this
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" /xcl
7. Open the shortcut. It will says the CCC limits have been increased.
8. Exit afterburner and delete the shortcut. Restart.
9. Load up afterburner. Settings>tick unlock voltage control + monitoring.
10. Now you can overclock using AMD's optimal method. There are no CCC limits and you can adjust the voltage. This is SO much more stable than overclocking the Un-official way using msi afterburner.

i have mine on 1.23v 1150 / 1575 , temps idle 25c , load 61c , i think i could lower the voltage abit more, aint played with it for awhile

one i think i notice when i load up windows , MSI auto starts but i dont get the overclocked speeds, defaults to 900mhz, but if i select profile again on msi and apply it runs then at overclocked speeds, would love it to just do it automatically when windows loads.
Nelly said:
I've just done a few more runs @ 1150MHz managed to get stable @ 1.218v, Temp 58°C Max , Auto Fan 43% Max, better than my original FZ0 bios forcing me to use 1.25v all the time.

Last edited:
Associate
I know this is already a well known fact, but just though I'd post the official response form Gigabyte support on the Voltage locked state on the WF3. This is after I've been hounding them for almost 1 month about what is up with the new Rev 2 cards.

"
Gigate Support Response (Verbatim):
After checking with our related department, this card does not support voltage overclocking feature.

This GV-R795WF3-3GD card has AMD PowerTune Boost feature which works in a similar manner to NVIDIA’s GPU Boost.

The card may automatically overclocking GPU frequency up even further. Just like NVIDIA's card has base and boost clock.

Thus, this card (default clock is 900MHz) may automatically run PowerTune Boost feature up to 1000MHz frequency if it is under heavy 3D loading.

It is a dynamic clock scaling capability that allowed the GPU to increase clock speeds when power and temperature allowed.

There is no option for customer to manually adjust frequency to 1000MHz.

In order to make sure our VGA card can work properly and more stability, this card does not support GPU voltage overclocking feature.

Here is the VGA clock specification on our website.

Core Clock Base 900/ Boost 1000 MHz

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4121#sp
"

Associate
Received my 7950 on monday to replace a gigabyte windforce 670 (mainly due to bitcoin mining) and am very happy with the performance however a little concerned about temps. It idles at 38 and will go up to 66 gaming and well into high 70s when mining, is this an issue as its a lot hotter than the gtx670 ? If its not I am not concerned but the fans seem toi have to go much higher on this card to keep it cool which again is not an issue as long as all is ok.

My card came with FX0 bios and asic quality 61%

Soldato
Sent my 1000 MHz, 1.25V card back as it wasn't what I ordered... I ordered the 900 MHz version. Karma bites back though as my replacement MSI TFIII 7950 has the 100% fan issue even though the ones in stock are supposed to have resolved the issue.

Back
Top Bottom