Glass reservoirs & tube?

Soldato
XSPC are a good example. Their acrylic res' (the ones I've used in the past) have a larger fill port with a plastic screw in cover that's supposed to be opened with a coin. I think Bitspower have come up with a fitting to open up new possibilities like Zia's.

Soldato
The top CAN be used as an inlet ;) I have done it numerous times. Here are two with the top used as an inlet...

FB_IMG_1463891976481.jpg

Associate
OP
The top CAN be used as an inlet ;) I have done it numerous times. Here are two with the top used as an inlet...
Ah, so it will work with the adapter then but it will just be a pain to bleed :)
XSPC are a good example. Their acrylic res' (the ones I've used in the past) have a larger fill port with a plastic screw in cover that's supposed to be opened with a coin. I think Bitspower have come up with a fitting to open up new possibilities like Zia's.
I think I'll just stick to the Aqualis as the two ports on the top and no need for the adapter will save a lot of issues :)

Associate
I have spent yesterday swapping all my Monsoon PETG tubing and fittings for Mayhems glass tubes and Barrow fittings.

I had read that quite a few people struggled to get a clean cut using the score and break method. I went for the 16mm tubing that has a thick wall and found cutting it very easy using wet tile cutter fitted with a diamond saw blade. I got a nice clean cut, that required very little sanding.

I did try using a Dremel with a diamond glass cutting blade on it, but without setting up a jig with a water drip, found it very slow going.

I need to buy a couple more fitting to finish the job, but am very happy with the results so far and don't think I would go back to acrylic or PETG as glass seems to give a cleaner look.

BTW - I am also looking for a glass reservoir to go on my EK pump, it needs to have screw fittings each end.

Associate
OP
I have spent yesterday swapping all my Monsoon PETG tubing and fittings for Mayhems glass tubes and Barrow fittings.
I had read that quite a few people struggled to get a clean cut using the score and break method. I went for the 16mm tubing that has a thick wall and found cutting it very easy using wet tile cutter fitted with a diamond saw blade. I got a nice clean cut, that required very little sanding.
I did try using a Dremel with a diamond glass cutting blade on it, but without setting up a jig with a water drip, found it very slow going.
I need to buy a couple more fitting to finish the job, but am very happy with the results so far and don't think I would go back to acrylic or PETG as glass seems to give a cleaner look.
BTW - I am also looking for a glass reservoir to go on my EK pump, it needs to have screw fittings each end.
Thanks for providing the comprehensive feedback on glass tubing, I'll probably be going with the 12/10 tubing (Purely for aesthetics) but from your post I'm guessing a good glass cutter (One with dual wheels for me) is needed to get a good cut that isn't all over the place. Also did you sand down the glass and chamfer the edges or does it not really matter :)

Associate
Although the wet cut diamond wheel gave a very clean cut, I still gave it a quick rub on some wet and dry, I chamfered the edge by holding the glass tube lightly against the side of the diamond cutter.

I found that by using the electric tile cutter (with a glass wheel attached), I could cut the tube down to really small sizes, and could also shave the odd couple of mm off if I cut a tube to long.

The problem I see with the score and snap method is that you have to be very accurate with your measurements, as you cant go back and nip a little bit off the tube if you get it wrong. I read quite a few reviews where people just cant score and snap the 16mm stuff due to the wall thickness.

I don't have any experience with the smaller sizes, but have read that its hard to get a clean snap and not as easy as the youtube videos would have you believe.

If I had known how easy it was to cut glass tubing with a tile cutter, I would not have bothered with acrylic or PETG. Especially as I already had a wet tile cutter and only needed to spend £12 on a decent blade to cut glass.

I am at work at the moment, but when I get home I will post a couple of pictures showing my build and maybe a quick video showing how easy it was cutting the glass.

Associate
Pictures of my work in progress. The fluid in the tubes are where I topped up the rad, as I thought it might have a leak. The close up of the glass tube was taken after being cut, and a quick rub over some wet and dry smooths it out as shown in the second picture.

image_14.jpeg

image_13.jpeg

image_12.jpeg

image_10.jpeg

image_11.jpeg

Associate
OP
Pictures of my work in progress. The fluid in the tubes are where I topped up the rad, as I thought it might have a leak. The close up of the glass tube was taken after being cut, and a quick rub over some wet and dry smooths it out as shown in the second picture.
Thanks for the guide and the images, I've got to say that the system looks great. Also thanks for the bit showing the sanded tube as it looks like it is necessary. Can't wait to have a go at glass tubing :)

Soldato
, I'll probably be going with the 12/10 tubing (Purely for aesthetics)

Just be aware that the Mayhems glass isn't 12/10 (although I think someone else does that size. EK or Alphacool) it's about 7mm ID so could be restrictive - at least in my head. I posted up the OD and IDs according to Mayhems support on the OCUK product review.

Associate
Cheers Fluke. Really helpful. Not sure if I'll end up using my glassware or not but good to benefit from others work if I do.

No problem. The saw table jumping was me accidentally kicking it.:eek: Still gave a nice clean cut that didn't need much cleaning up.

Associate
OP
Is it me or is the video broken? Took the link anyway and watched it on Youtube, thanks for uploading it as it seems to cut pretty easily (Albeit with a table saw) so at least theres hope if I get one of those dual wheel cutter thingys :D
Just be aware that the Mayhems glass isn't 12/10 (although I think someone else does that size. EK or Alphacool) it's about 7mm ID so could be restrictive - at least in my head. I posted up the OD and IDs according to Mayhems support on the OCUK product review.
Hmm, I was planning on using the EK-HDC fittings so that could be an issue although I think they do 16mm fittings as well. It should be the same to cut though right? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
The 16mm EK HDC fittings do fit the 16mm Mayhems. Chunkier but you just have to make a feature of it. That or hunt down some thinner walled borosilicate glass tube.

Associate
Is it me or is the video broken? Took the link anyway and watched it on Youtube, thanks for uploading it as it seems to cut pretty easily (Albeit with a table saw) so at least theres hope if I get one of those dual wheel cutter thingys :D

Hmm, I was planning on using the EK-HDC fittings so that could be an issue although I think they do 16mm fittings as well. It should be the same to cut though right? :confused:

Not sure why, but cutting and pasting the url seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom