Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Thanks, the backup is currently taking around 2hrs 30 mins so I'm probably looking at around 3 hrs to setup and restore. Think I'll go for 4 rebuilds over the course of 4 days after each nightly backup has done.

Thanks.

Soldato
Owned my microserver n40l for a good 4 years and today it just packed in. Although it's been on 24/7 for just as long so I can't complain, hah.

I think it's the PSU related, will confirm this afternoon.

Has anyone replaced their one with a new PSU, if so which one?

Soldato
Do these support SAS drives out of the box? Just been lent some 4TB SAS drives to get up and running.

EDIT: So, officially, without the extortionately priced P222 (~£380) Smart Array controller it won't support SAS drives. However, I'm reading that the Gen7's P410 will work but will not support the newer Gen8 features and requires WS2008R2 driver. Is it worth me giving it a go?

Last edited:

GDL

GDL

Associate
No, the drive connectors are SATA.

The P410 works just fine in the Gen8.

I use VMWare so no idea on driver support at the OS level.

Associate
You shouldn't even need cables.
I have the N40L and the connection that comes out of the drive cage is Mini SAS, which is the connector that's on the P410 and P420 RAID cards.

I've had a quick look at photos for the Gen 8, and it looks like it still uses Mini SAS, so you'll be fine.

(If you wanted to run more than just the 4 drives in the standard drive bays only then would you need additional cables)

GDL

GDL

Associate
Thanks, I'll try and pick one up cheap.

Is this all that is required, aside from SAS cables to connect the drives to the controller?

Yup, I think I used the same seller :) - FYI. The battery back cache took over a week to charge in my case. 0.o

I unhooked the SAS cable from the port on the motherboard and hooked it into that for:

A - it gets around the SATA2/3 issue.
B - Raid 5

Then I picked up a break out cable and shoved 4 SSD's in the top with some power splitters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, I think I used the same seller :) - FYI. The battery back cache took over a week to charge in my case. 0.o

I unhooked the SAS cable from the port on the motherboard and hooked it into that for:

A - it gets around the SATA2/3 issue.
B - Raid 5

Then I picked up a break out cable and shoved 4 SSD's in the top with some power splitters.

Thanks dude. Hermes (sounds like and STI!) tried to deliver today, but my work is a school, so naturally they were closed. Annoying as they weren't meant to deliver until Monday anyway.

I'm new to physical server builds, but looking forward to getting it going. Given that my data is personal and not extremely critical, and that I have three 4TB SAS drives, I think I'll go for RAID5 using the P410.

You shouldn't even need cables.
I have the N40L and the connection that comes out of the drive cage is Mini SAS, which is the connector that's on the P410 and P420 RAID cards.

I've had a quick look at photos for the Gen 8, and it looks like it still uses Mini SAS, so you'll be fine.

(If you wanted to run more than just the 4 drives in the standard drive bays only then would you need additional cables)

I'm confused - I won't be using a separate SAS drive cage connected to the G1610T, I plan on just mounting them all within the server itself. I'd like to use all three SAS drives, but see that the P410 only has 2 ports. I've never dealt with SAS drives - do I require a splitter or something to hook all three up to the two ports? As far as I understood, the server only had SATA connections? I plan to mount the OS SSD loosely (or where the CD/DVD drive would be) and connect it to the SATA port that the CD/DVD drive would have used.

What exactly is the battery that comes with the P410 used for? Is there a guide that I can follow to make sure it's all connected up properly?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Each port has 4 channels (so the P410 can control 8 drives directly, much more with an expander).

SATA drives can connect to SAS backplanes but not vice-versa. Not 100% what backplane the microserver uses.

The battery is used to hold any write commands if the power to the server is lost - you have to restore power before the battery dies to prevent data loss.

GDL

GDL

Associate
The Gen8 uses a Mini-SAS port to 4xSATA.
Restrictions on the onboard controller means that ports 1-2 are SATA3 3-4 are sata2

GDL

GDL

Associate
In that case, do I even require the P410? Can I not just get a mini SAS to regular SAS if such a thing exists?

I would, even if you just plug the stock connector into it. All drives will then be sata3 and not sata2/3 50% mix. It also opens up another 4 drives in the top via the other SAS port on the 410.

The onboard one really does suck.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Sorry, trying to catch up with all the terminology. The P410 is the HBA, correct?

So to double check all I need is the P410 and I can hook up my three 4tb SAS drives to the gen 8 box?

If so shall I order this tonight?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262233733880&alt=web

Correct. The P410 is the HBA.
You would need a cable to connect the HBA to the SAS drives. You cannot do this with the stock connectors on the back plate as they are SATA. - You might also run into fitting issues if you plan on using a converter / replacing the stock ones as it would be a very tight fit.

+ You would need the low profile bracket as Nutcase said.

As a note, you can replace teh bracket with any low profile one, even if it's from another device as the P410 doesn't have any external facing ports.

Soldato
Owned my microserver n40l for a good 4 years and today it just packed in. Although it's been on 24/7 for just as long so I can't complain, hah.

I think it's the PSU related, will confirm this afternoon.

Has anyone replaced their one with a new PSU, if so which one?
I have Streacom ST-NANO150 in my N54L

Back
Top Bottom